IGNORED

Need help -- Bow Shop

Heavyopp

Guys, it's time for me to buy a new bow -- My Golden eagle orion is getting old , and heavy -- I bought it back in the late 80's and took deer with it all the way up till last season

Anyway, I went over to Heritage Guild in Branchburg on Saturday Morning - looking for some help to 1st find my draw length and talk a little about what is new and worthwhile out there 

Bow guy had no time for me, a young red headed girl gave me a draw length arrow and had me pull it in my bow but thats it -- Told me 30" or 31" 

Just so happens that a Hoyt Charger came up for sale on the Facebook forum this morning -- Long draw set at 31" 

I chatted with the guy, and met him tonight -- that bow was way too long -- 31" draw put the kisser in the middle of my cheek 

So I'm looking for a bow shop that has time for a guy who doesn't mind spending some money,  I'm gonna have this bow for awhile

I'm in middlesex Borough -- zip code 08846 -- I don't mind driving and hour either way for the right shop -- 

Suggestions?  Recommendations?  

I don't know what I want,  Something new, light, smooth --  I really had my eye on the No Cam but I did see it at Heritage -- got to hold it but thats it -- As I said they had no time for me...

After seeing the no cam and holding it I think it's too long, and it sure is ugly -- but I didn't shoot it and feel the smooth draw and shot everyone says it has

I'm not against carbon fiber for the weight but I really don't know where to begin...

Thanks for any guidance,  Jer

That is typical of most bow shops and the usual as we get closer to the seasons. I have had good luck with getting service at field and stream in Wanaque.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

Also most bow shops hire bow techs with mystical skills. Once you find out who this person is you must post glowing reviews on them and how they are the only one to touch your bow. I am told Rob from Targeters has these skills but have not made it thru the right of passage to met him.

Edited by CJ3a

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

http://bowandreel.com

Garden State Bow and Reel

2760A Route 23 

North Stockholm, New Jersey 07460

Not the best website, but my go-to for all of my archery needs.  I take all of my bows and the kids bows there and have never had a problem.  It does get busy, 4-5 people deep on bad days, and you will have to wait for service.  But they are that good and lots of people trust their gear to them.  There are a few posts on this and other sites about them.

It's about 1h 10m from where you are, approximately.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

http://bowandreel.com

Garden State Bow and Reel

2760A Route 23 

North Stockholm, New Jersey 07460

Not the best website, but my go-to for all of my archery needs.  I take all of my bows and the kids bows there and have never had a problem.  It does get busy, 4-5 people deep on bad days, and you will have to wait for service.  But they are that good and lots of people trust their gear to them.  There are a few posts on this and other sites about them.

It's about 1h 10m from where you are, approximately.

Second on Dino over there.  Once you get set up you can take some shots out back of his place. 

(I am adding this to say that some of the "compoent products" like hunting heads, knocks, etc are a bit over market price wise but it's probably a matter of convenience.  I order most of that stuff online these days)

Edited by buckfever1974

Strictly Archery, route 57, Washington is a good place. So is Simon Peters in Andover. Both  are worth the drive.

Simon peters in Newton --  Rt 206?

Is strictly archery gonna be new guy friendly -- I've heard they can get a little moody -- I'm pretty sure thats the shop my cousin uses

It's not even that I'm a new guy -- been bow hunting since the late 80's -- I just don't know squat about these new bows -- I've never shot a modern compound bow -- In fact I've never shot a compound bow other than my golden eagle

Sportsman Center in Bordentown is good also. When I lived in NJ I traveled there to have my PSE worked on. Brian is the owner and was very helpful, they really push Hoyt there but If I were you just set a budget and get your hands on as many as possible to see what feels good. I went with a Creed a few years ago and dropped $1500 for everything I wanted and have 0 regrets. As far as draw Im 6' and shoot 28" 30-31 is long you wanna feel that backwall when your at full draw. Good Luck!!

Don't overlook the Owl's Nest where they will treat you well.  About an hour for you, Jeremy.  I'll even meet you there if it's the right day.  Some other good shops mentioned as well.  My good buddy and his son both use Garden State Bow and Reel in Stockholm and like that shop a bunch.  Strictly Archery is a top notch shop, but for some reason they rub certain folks wrong.  They are also never shy with their prices.  But if you go bow shopping, I'll join you as I'm a year away from pulling the trigger on a new Hoyt myself.  

Strictly Archery? He said he wants help. Think soup nazis when you visit.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure I've heard this before...

Don't overlook the Owl's Nest where they will treat you well.  About an hour for you, Jeremy.  I'll even meet you there if it's the right day.  Some other good shops mentioned as well.  My good buddy and his son both use Garden State Bow and Reel in Stockholm and like that shop a bunch.  Strictly Archery is a top notch shop, but for some reason they rub certain folks wrong.  They are also never shy with their prices.  But if you go bow shopping, I'll join you as I'm a year away from pulling the trigger on a new Hoyt myself.  

Maybe next week Brian -- I know your going to get busy soon --  I'll be sure to let you know -- I just blew my fun money --  Aimpoint PRO on sale @ LA police gear $360 at the end of last week -- Said it was backordered for 60 days and Wouldn't be charged till it ships -- well it shipped today  -- and another couldn't resist sale at Primary arms tonight  -- Snugpac "the cave" 4 man 4 season tent $296 -- I've been wanting a bigger 4 season tent for cold weather up in NH and this gets awesome reviews

yes, simon peters is on 206.  they can get a little busy but they will take care of you.  nice selection too.  same can be said for strictly archery.

http://www.simonpetersport.com/products-compound-bows.php

I would try simon peters first, get there early before the crowds.

I'm thinking I want to try here --  They have some sale stuff posted on Archery Talk for what seems to be decent prices --  and the hoyt stuff is set up with a bunch of different draw lengths -- I should be able to get a good idea what it is I'm looking for --  Figure I'll call 1st, explain what I want to do, and ask them when they want me to come in

• 3 weeks later...

Strictly Archery, route 57, Washington is a good place. So is Simon Peters in Andover. Both  are worth the drive.

Yup

Simon peters in Newton --  Rt 206?

Is strictly archery gonna be new guy friendly -- I've heard they can get a little moody -- I'm pretty sure thats the shop my cousin uses

It's not even that I'm a new guy -- been bow hunting since the late 80's -- I just don't know squat about these new bows -- I've never shot a modern compound bow -- In fact I've never shot a compound bow other than my golden eagle

Yes.  Tom and Ray are the best around.  It's the only place I'll take my bows.  They are super new guy friendly, just don't walk in there acting like a big shot.  They'll chew you up and spit you out if you do. 

Strictly Archery? He said he wants help. Think soup nazis when you visit.

Big shot?

Strictly Archery gets my vote. Ray set me up with a new PSE a year ago, he is very knowledgeable and had a good experience with them.

Yup.