IGNORED

River restoration epic fail - the Boulder Debacle

Getting ready to restore another mile of the North Branch Raritan River this summer and I was asked to help ensure the right size boulders are delivered to the correct locations starting today. As you will see, epic failure for the delivery driver on his first load. Enjoy - I was stuck there for six hours, lol.

Image1462226645.259049.jpg

Forget the small tractor. That was just a toy.

Image1462226674.507103.jpg

Bring in the big guns

Image1462226768.780430.jpg

Image1462226788.298681.jpg

Image1462226806.428274.jpg

And.....for the picture of the day, yours truly doing my best superhero imitation.

Image1462226858.187960.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOT trying to start a fight but that was dumb getting under the truck like that. If that truck broke in half you would of been killed I seen trucks do that frame just say I had enough and just split. Good thing your ok and the pics are great to see. I work with equipment everyday stuff happens everyday and it can be scary to see.

NOT trying to start a fight but that was dumb getting under the truck like that. If that truck broke in half you would of been killed I seen trucks do that frame just say I had enough and just split. Good thing your ok and the pics are great to see. I work with equipment everyday stuff happens everyday and it can be scary to see.

Two things: I wasn't under it, I was just out in front. Also, by the time we took that the truck had been in the exact same position for well over five hours without moving an inch.

Yes, the world of heavy construction.  If you get a big toy stuck, you better have a bigger toy to get the first toy out.  And so on.  Luckily we had the trucker's boss nearby in Chester on the excavator, but they had to run back to their yard near Phillipsburg to get the trailer since this wasn't planned.  A classic day.  I had parked down the old dirt road and was 100% trapped until we dealt with the truck.  

That superhero pic is great! Did that truck sustain any damage?

No, just a dent near the gate hinge that can be fixed.  He was lucky.  The mistake when trying to unload larger boulders from that size truck is he treated it like a load of dirt or gravel and tipped it way up high and the boulders were loaded too high, so one major one pinched in and ended the dump.  He needed to raise the bucket a much shorter distance and then gun it and they will flop out the back without hanging up on the gate.  Of course the best bet is a 40' rolloff with barn doors.  That is what I use when I'm dealing with the boulders.  Our client is using a contractor he knows to haul and is getting the boulders and loading for free from job sites he knows.  So I was just there to ensure the proper size and locations to dump them along a one mile reach of the river.   

Edited by Bucksnbows

Two things: I wasn't under it, I was just out in front. Also, by the time we took that the truck had been in the exact same position for well over five hours without moving an inch.

Got ya I have seen them flip seen them brake in 2 seen the hydrous blow out and body come crashing down. Crazy things happen when working with big toys. I'm sure you have seen something your self.

Just a dent... he was lucky. That first pic looks like the truck got a little twisted. Good thing no one got hurt!

He wound up delivering two more loads of smaller boulders later in that same truck.  I know he and his boss looked over that old truck a few times before cutting it loose on another run.

Got ya I have seen them flip seen them brake in 2 seen the hydrous blow out and body come crashing down. Crazy things happen when working with big toys. I'm sure you have seen something your self.

We stayed WAY CLEAR for a couple hours.  But it was obvious it was like a concrete statue after a few hours  :rofl:   I jumped in front for about 5 seconds, stood a foot or more out front, and moved off right away.  The excavator was pulling down the road to help at that point and the boss of this driver was laughing once it was all worked out.