IGNORED

Great Morning in the turkey woods

hammer4reel

SORRY , LONG READ

Couldnt get any sleep so headed into the woods a little early this morning.
Good thing as when I reached my blind around 445 I bumped a bird off the roost directly above my blind.

woods were super quiet until about 530 when the first bird gobbled less than 50 yards from me.
A few light calls on my copper slate had him gobbling hard, and then another bird probably less than 40 yards sounded off behind me.

a little while later I could tell I had at least 5 toms around me under 200 yards.
soon I heard the first hen calling in the tree, and could tell the toms had turned towards her calling on the limb.
I matched her call a little more harsh and could tell the tom in front of me was now facing my way

I settled in and waited  for them to fly down. the birds still gobbling like mad.
as the bird behind me belted another gobble off the one in front gobbled and he was on the ground coming towards me.
I watched as he slowly came past the hen decoy towards my jake.
The decoys WAY to close to the blind as after I bumped the bird coming in I didnt want to move around much.

at about 6 yards he finally turned and I drew, BUT I couldnt see my pins in the blacked out blind.
he stomped the jake a bit then walked off.

I saw 4 other toms on the ridge above me strutting all around a hen, so I cut hard getting them to gobble and her to call back.
I kept cutting her off and here she came with the 4 toms in tow.
At about 40 yards they passed her and ran towards the jake decoy.
surrounding him and showing off.
another tom popped up from my left coming towards them gobbling like crazy.
I drew on him and when he turned correctly sent the Dead Ringer Trauma through him at 8 yards.
He ran about 12 steps and rolled over.
The four toms quickly jumped on top of him , as the hen stood on top of a log watching them beat him up.

what a show. and the morning over at 610

turkey2016_zps9cshagew.jpeg

turkey2016a_zpswhjaxk5n.jpg

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...