IGNORED

My son's 1st experience/catch with the Fly Rod today

LPJR

Our good friend Nick took time today to show my son and I some basics with the new fly equipment we just picked up to use this season.

Afterwards, we headed to an open catch and release fly stretch at the Flatbrook (that we found while pheasant hunting in November) to just try some different casts, never expecting to catch anything. (even left our nets in the truck)

I was watching my son who was about 20 feet from me and said to Nick that he was fishing with the setup well, using a Wooly Bugger streamer...No sooner than I said that do I see the giant (compared to him) rod bend and he says he has one, as an explosion of colors flashed just under the surface.

Christopher carefully finessed the gorgeous rainbow to the bank and landed it...Several quick pics were taken and the fish was released.

What an awesome 1st time experience with the Fly rod and reel....Catching a nice trout made it that much better!

20160328_153908.jpg

20160328_153245.jpg

20160328_153145.jpeg

Cherished memories.

Enjoy.

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

what was your set up? rod, reel, line? 

Kype, Hahaha! I am laughing because this Fly fishing is all new to me and had no idea about the equipment until today! (I have trout fished for years with ultra light spinning gear)

Looking at the reel packages, they are Martin Caddis Creek reels prespooled with 20 lb backing, LT6F fly line, and a 5x leader....The most time consuming part was switching the factory leader to tippet to a better quality pre-looped part. (forgot the name of it)  Nick (nmc02) has patience unlike I have ever seen to do this lol...The pole is an 8'6 Silver Stream 5/6.....

The reels were $11.00 each and the rods were $14.00 each (on clearance) at Walmart. The sky is the limit with regard to this sport and I am obviously starting slow, lol!

Cortland 5 wt rod, Martin reel, 5x leader...w a bugger.

Nicolas!!! Christopher and I CANNOT wait to work that section down with you when we have more time.

Thanks and kudos for the patience shown today. Was awesome! :up:

Congrats on a great day.  I have back to back guide trips there on Wed. and Thursday of this week.  Hoping to see some hatches and rising trout for my clients.  

Thanks!

You absolutely will. We saw trout hitting the surface as we were leaving, with one as big or bigger than the one my son caught jumping out of the water.

Good luck and have fun :up: