• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Turkey Season

30 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   remingtonman1108

remingtonman1108

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 01/28/13 - 07:01 AM

Turkey season is sneaking up quick! Still have a couple months but it will be here before we know it!

I have turkey hunted 1 time in my life and this year I may give it a go. Always wanted to get into it but never really pursued it.

I bet Gobblergetter has a countdown clock going...;)

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

#2 Male OFFLINE   Drop Tine

Drop Tine

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 01/28/13 - 11:03 AM

Bob, Good Luck man, spring turkey hunting is definitely one of my favorite seasons... once you successfully call in and take down your first long beard, you'll will be totally addicted, TRUST ME.

}}}--I certainly do chase New Jersey's BIG Bucks, BIG Birds, and BIG Fish--->

Best Bow Buck to date; 2011 Gross; 142 6/8
Best Gobbler to date; 2012 NWTF score of 77.5
Best Northern Pike to date; 40" (Passaic River Pike )
Best Muskie to date; (The hunt begins)

#3 Male OFFLINE   remingtonman1108

remingtonman1108

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 01/28/13 - 02:22 PM

Bob, Good Luck man, spring turkey hunting is definitely one of my favorite seasons... once you successfully call in and take down your first long beard, you'll will be totally addicted, TRUST ME.

Thanks dude. I think i need to order a couple turkey calls and get some practice in!

#4 OFFLINE   Sticky

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01/28/13 - 03:00 PM

Turkey hunting is a blast!! I took off last year for the first time in about 8-9 years cause I have yet to kill a bird even though I've come close several times. It just took a toll on me but I'm gonna get back on it this year and hope for the best.

#5 Male OFFLINE   Woodrufflou

Woodrufflou

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 01/28/13 - 05:12 PM

Think I'm gonna get my permits this year. My father is a die hard. Gets every permit he could get and always kills a couple nice one every year. He's a great caller. I never really got into it but I may hunt with him this season and give it another try

#6 Male OFFLINE   Drop Tine

Drop Tine

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 01/28/13 - 07:20 PM

You definitely should Lou.... Turkey hunting is awesome bro, an a great way to start the string off before striper season kicks in :thumb_up:

}}}--I certainly do chase New Jersey's BIG Bucks, BIG Birds, and BIG Fish--->

Best Bow Buck to date; 2011 Gross; 142 6/8
Best Gobbler to date; 2012 NWTF score of 77.5
Best Northern Pike to date; 40" (Passaic River Pike )
Best Muskie to date; (The hunt begins)

#7 OFFLINE   lost9340

lost9340

Fawn

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01/29/13 - 11:09 PM

can't wait for spring turkey season.... i got permission on a couple new pieces of property this year in zones 12 and 14 and they are loaded with turkey. the one piece of property butts up to mommouth county parks system and the landowners say they come right out of the park into her fields and to her chicken coup gobbling at her chickens... lol she says i should set up right behind her coup they show up every day in the spring.

#8 Male OFFLINE   Woodrufflou

Woodrufflou

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 01/29/13 - 11:11 PM

Sounds like you got some good property there man. Good luck with it

#9 Male OFFLINE   Jeff M

Jeff M

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 01/29/13 - 11:15 PM

Yea sounds like a nice piece of land

#10 OFFLINE   lost9340

lost9340

Fawn

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01/29/13 - 11:16 PM

thanks hopefully it helps me with my goal of shooting one with the bow. been trying for 2 years now but just cant seal the deal

#11 Male OFFLINE   Woodrufflou

Woodrufflou

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 01/29/13 - 11:19 PM

Hopefully with the new property you get that opportunity this season

#12 OFFLINE   lifehog

lifehog

Fawn

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 10:48 AM

Love turkey season ,nice weather birds gobbling nothing beats it. Getting a zone 14 permit is tough to get though.

#13 OFFLINE   Dubs

Dubs

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 03:01 PM

Hey bob,

If you wanna go out during the season let me know. I always try for E week because of work. This was a pic I took while goose hunting this year. I lost count at 80 birds. I think we can definitely put you on one. :D

Posted Image

#14 Male OFFLINE   Matty

Matty

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 03:13 PM

Dubs that looks like the type of property where you get there and slam the truck door and 6 or 7 different gobblers fire off shock gobbles within 100yds of the truck. lol

I missed the entire season this past Spring! I was laid up in the stupid hospital for way too long. Horrible! I never even got to hear a bird gobble, barely even got outside for fresh air! I think that would kill a man before anything else!

SO I CAN'T WAIT TO CHASE SOME THUNDER-CHICKENS THIS YEAR!

If you're too busy to hunt....You're too busy!

- Sent from my Alexander Graham Bell Hand Crank Model Mar101876 Phone

#15 Male OFFLINE   rossbowhunter

rossbowhunter

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 03:14 PM

I put in for my permits the other day, if anyone wants to volunteer to call in some turkeys for me at my new place let me know, ton of turkey around. One gobbler drags his beard on the ground.

Paul M. Ross

Coldwell Banker Sales Associate

908-943-8842

#16 OFFLINE   johnnyo8148

johnnyo8148

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 03:29 PM

Love the spring turkey season. Had a blast last year and I didn't even kill one. I had so much fun calling a nice tom into bow range, that I wasn't too bummed about not being able to draw on him. Still can't figure out how to use the mouth calls yet. I wind up sounding like a wounded water buffalo or choke myself with those things. Bought a ton when they were on sale at the end of the season, so hopefully, my choking and bad imitations will be a thing of the past ...with a little practice, of course. Oh, and had this plumper come out at 100 yards last season... and seen him all through the summer and fall. hopefully he survived :rock:

Attached Images

• turkey1.jpg

#17 OFFLINE   Hewey

Hewey

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 04:26 PM

I love spring turkey! I didn't kill a bird last spring, but I called in four different birds in two different states and didn't seal the deal. I still had a great time! The best part is working the bird in, the kill is just the icing on the cake!

I am not cofident with my use of a diaphragm calling. I love pot calls. I use a box call some, most of the time to locate of to get a far off bird going. I also have a large glass pot call that is good for locating. My favorite call is my H.S. Strut Derringer pot call. So easy to get sweet sounds out of it.

I have only been turkey hutning for a few years now. I have killed 4 birds so far. 3 spring birds with a shotgun, and one fall bird with a bow. I am lucky to have a cousin that is a turkey assasin that has been teaching me well and helping me out along the way. With some luck I will get bird number 5 this spring.

#18 OFFLINE   Jim

Jim

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 05:54 PM

Dont forget to put in for your permits. You have till Feb 22. If you fail to put in your can purchase over the counter but most zones sell out fast

#19 OFFLINE   Bassguy247

Bassguy247

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 11:16 PM

This would be my first year going for turkey gotta get someone to teach me the ropes on calling though. I can do the calls. But it sounds nothing like guys that been doing it.

#20 OFFLINE   ShurShot07

ShurShot07

Fawn

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 02:40 PM

I can't wait for spring turkey season, my favorite hunting is turkeys
its a real thrill to call in a tom and hopefully kill'm

Good luck to everyone heading out into the turkey woods this spring. :thumb_up:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users