IGNORED

New to trout fishing

smungung

Location, location, location. 

And if you are fishing freshly stocked fish, they are not impressed with a bunch of fancy stuff.  They were raised on pellets, a kid with Power Bait will usually out catch a guy with a bunch of fancy lures and flies. 

Location, location, location. 

And if you are fishing freshly stocked fish, they are not impressed with a bunch of fancy stuff.  They were raised on pellets, a kid with Power Bait will usually out catch a guy with a bunch of fancy lures and flies. 

Or a fly guy that ties pellet flies :)

Hello, the trout season is coming up in New Jersey. I was wondering if there's anything I should know to be more successful this year.

What type of fishing are you doing?  Spin or fly?  Live bait, lures or flies?  What streams or rivers?  I've caught a couple of trout in my day and am happy to help.  

Hello, the trout season is coming up in New Jersey. I was wondering if there's anything I should know to be more successful this year.

Bucksnbows is one of the best fly fishing guides in NJ....perhaps you should book a guided trip with him....

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

im fishing freshly stocked rainbow trout i think there was something that said only rainbows will be stocked this year i dont know if it true but i think i'll go with power bait. what other tips do you have?

Freshly stocked rainbows will eat most anything.  There are lots of stocking locations well marked with big white signs with blue lettering on a list the Division has widely available along with stocking dates.  If you want solitude, move away from the stocking locations and remember that fish have fins and swim all around the river and not just in the pool they were first stocked into.  Make sure with any type of fly or bait that your drift is natural as that is how trout feed, in the drift.  A fleeing baitfish would be different, and lures like small Rapalas, inline spinners, etc. would be in order there.  But if you're fishing bait, you want it slow rolling the bottom at the bottom current speed which is always a bit slower than the surface speed.  Add or remove weight as needed using small split shot.  If you don't hang up on bottom some times, you're not down where the fish are biting most of the times. And don't assume that all those taps are rocks against your split shot, most are probably fish.  When in doubt, set the hook!   

im fishing freshly stocked rainbow trout i think there was something that said only rainbows will be stocked this year i dont know if it true but i think i'll go with power bait. what other tips do you have?

when approaching a stream, look at the current. (more likely to see is faster moving waters) you will see an inner seam, then the main current, the outer seam, then towards the end, the beginning, and sometimes an eddy. i always fish every seam. i would make a diagram of some sort but i am not good with computers. maybe someone can help out on this? post a picture current running through a stream an label each seam? 

Freshly stocked rainbows will eat most anything.  There are lots of stocking locations well marked with big white signs with blue lettering on a list the Division has widely available along with stocking dates.  If you want solitude, move away from the stocking locations and remember that fish have fins and swim all around the river and not just in the pool they were first stocked into.  Make sure with any type of fly or bait that your drift is natural as that is how trout feed, in the drift.  A fleeing baitfish would be different, and lures like small Rapalas, inline spinners, etc. would be in order there.  But if you're fishing bait, you want it slow rolling the bottom at the bottom current speed which is always a bit slower than the surface speed.  Add or remove weight as needed using small split shot.  If you don't hang up on bottom some times, you're not down where the fish are biting most of the times. And don't assume that all those taps are rocks against your split shot, most are probably fish.  When in doubt, set the hook!   

i really dont care about solitude as long as im not bothered its all good :up:  but should the bait be on the bottom or suspended with a float?

Smungung

Bobbler or no?

I should have been more specific, sorry....Great advice from some of the guys above....... If fishing in a stream use a small splitshot approximately 12-18" from the hook (#10 or #12) depending on the current in the current.........No  bobbers.