IGNORED

Trying to figure out....

BrownBear46

Hey guys need so advice I'm a avid deer hunter and goose hunter I'm entertaining the idea of coyote hunting this coming season and done some research and getting a better idea...but I need a new rifle and I'm struggling between the .17 hornet CZ American or a nice bolt .223 any advice would be greatly appreciated and also any advice on hunting then would be great too.... Thanks guys

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Through the Grapevine of the Small Caliber World I have heard CZ is going to make a run of 527's in .221 Fireball this Spring.

The .17HH is a 22 Hornet necked down to 17. For a beginner looking to shoot Coyote I would recommend something larger. .204 or .223. If you look at this photo I shot these Fox with a .17/223. I hit the top one in the shoulder right on bone. The .17 25gr. bullet splashed with very little penetration, Luckily the Energy of the .223 case killed it. If it was a 17HH he would have run off. A 22 Hornet and it would have punched right through.

The bottom Fox was hit perfectly behind the shoulder with no exit hole and bullet blew up inside. That is what you want. The same can be done with Coyote but shot placement as you can see is critical.

image.jpg

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

Thank you stevo and yes I'm good with a rifle and just want something to do the job right and not blow holes out the back side of my yote and I like the idea of a 223 with the ease of finding ammo and having the confidence the even if my shot wasn't perfect it has knock down power.... I like the 17h but its hard to find ammo and wind can be an issue with the lightness of the bullet so what .223 do you shot?

I shoot one of these in .223/5.56.

IMG_1089.jpg

And I prefer to shoot these:  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/285037/remington-premier-varmint-ammunition-223-remington-55-grain-accutip-box-of-20

They shoot straight and work well with the rifle/barrel/scope combination I have.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Look at the Savage 25 in Walking Varminter. Comes in 17 hornet to 223. Or spend more money and get the CZ 527. Just remember ammo must be soft point or hollow point. No FMJ's. I load all my AR ammo with 40gr. Nosler HP's to keep the sewing to a minimum. Smaller the bullet the smaller the hole.  I have some 20gr. V Max for my 17/223 also. They travel so fast though that a heavy mist over the field vaporizes them.

I reload all my rifle ammo. So I spend a lot of time at the range. ALOT of time. I consider myself a good shot but as you can see it just makes one little error and the shot is off. I'm a big fan of the small calibers and shoot them a lot. If your going to hunt with them you owe it to the animal to practice.

And one more thing BB. A new rifle needs to be broke in correctly. The Barrel will have Burs along the rifling. These need to be shot clean. I take 5 shots cleaning after each shot. Then 10 shots and a good cleaning twice. You will see your accuracy will improve as you approach 25 shots.

I am totally leaning towards the CZ and I am looking forward to picking one up I'm a few months bout the idea of loading is extremely appealing to me I am new to that and would be great to try and get some reloading tools but I need the rifle first and I really would like to know from your experience in NJ what is your preferred caliber? You know for average distances and also am looking to try and make pelts so not looking to blow holes in em'...

Proper weight and composition of the Bullet. Most Ammunition manufacturers make Varmint rounds. If you can get away from the .223 fad (lol) I am going to tell you to get a .204R. It is the perfect Coyote Fox caliber for anywhere including NJ.

The .17 25gr. bullet splashed with very little penetration, Luckily the Energy of the .223 case killed it. If it was a 17HH he would have run off. A 22 Hornet and it would have punched right through.

If it were a 17H the velocity would have been much lower than your 17/223 and most likely would have penetrated better at the reduced velocity.  You would not have seen that splash at lower velocity and it most likely would have gone in and fragmented inside the cavity.

There are a lot of good options for yotes and fox.  I've used 17 fireball, 17 rem, 204, 223, 22-250 and even 22mag and 17hmr rimfires.  With the centerfires I've had times where I got an exit (sometimes a complete blowout) with everything except the 17 fireball.  

I don't know where your at but if you want to tag along on a hunt one weekend you can better make a decision on what rifle to get. I am in Monmouth County. We hunt a few times a week and there are 7 weeks left. Your welcome to come and see what it's all about.

Beaverman the 17 Remington is almost the same as the 17/223. What kind of FPS are you getting with that? Just curious.

I don't know where your at but if you want to tag along on a hunt one weekend you can better make a decision on what rifle to get. I am in Monmouth County. We hunt a few times a week and there are 7 weeks left. Your welcome to come and see what it's all about.

Beaverman the 17 Remington is almost the same as the 17/223. What kind of FPS are you getting with that? Just curious.

I'm in ocean county and yeah ill be so down to possibly come tag along and get a better feel for what calls and when to use then and definitely see first hand the "aftermath" and get a real better idea of what I should choose for my own personal hunting thank you so much for all the great advice stevo

I'm struggling between the .17 hornet CZ American or a nice bolt .223 any advice would be greatly appreciated and also any advice on hunting then would be great too.... 

Have you a scope, rings, and rail?  

Any idea what distances you are likely to shoot?  Have you a maximum range in mind?

Generally speaking, I would go with the 223. Rem 700, Tikka T3, or Howa 1500.