IGNORED

Question about legality of muzzleloaders NJ

cycler

I was at the Great American Outdoor Show Thursday, and spoke with a rep from Italian Firearms Group.  The distribute Pedersoli muzzleloaders.  While I was examing a rifle, he asked if I was going to purchase, I replied I couldn't because I live in NJ, and I thought it would be a violation of NJ gun laws.  His response was that was not the case, said he would ship to me, no problem with laws, in fact I believe he compared buying a muzzleloader the same as buying a BB gun.  Now, I have not purchased a firearm, save for a pistol I keep in the house, in over 30 yrs, so I am rusty on the current laws in NJ.  Was he correct, or would I being in violation had I purchased the rifle?  What if I contact him back in Texas in a couple of weeks, he claims he can ship, no problem.  Oh, he did say he could ship it to my house, no FFL need be involved.  What is the real deal in this scenario.  Thanks in advance, Cycler

If its being shipped it has to go through an FFL. That is it in a nutshell, he is completely incorrect. Also in NJ a BB gun is classified as a firearm so FID and permit to purchase laws apply. He was wrong there too. You could have purchased there, done your NICS check there with your FID, and legally transported it home. Shipping from out of state = FFL

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

I bought a flinter a few years ago at Dixons, Looked a my drivers lic, I offered my FID, they said don't need it, and sold it to me over the counter and I drove it home. Now I'm not totally sure about this, but if it's a pure muzzle loader, not one of those interchangable deals its cash and carry, not even sure you'll need NICS for it, I don't remember doing one for the one I bought, black powder is regulated differently.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

You could have bought the gun from him right at the show, no NICS required, and brought it back legally.  To buy from him now it would have to go through FFL because NJ classifies it as a firearm even though ATF does not.  Having it shipped into NJ it falls under the same rules as any form 4473 transferable firearm.

I bought a flinter a few years ago at Dixons, Looked a my drivers lic, I offered my FID, they said don't need it, and sold it to me over the counter and I drove it home. Now I'm not totally sure about this, but if it's a pure muzzle loader, not one of those interchangable deals its cash and carry, not even sure you'll need NICS for it, I don't remember doing one for the one I bought, black powder is regulated differently.

Correct.

You can even purchase a black powder revolver with out the NICS.

Thanks for the replies.  CLears things up for me quite a bit.  So, if I drive to Cabelas or Bass Pro in Pa., buy a muzzleloader, I can legally drive it home?  But, if I choose to ship it, must go through a FFL dealer.  Is this correct?

Thanks for the replies. CLears things up for me quite a bit. So, if I drive to Cabelas or Bass Pro in Pa., buy a muzzleloader, I can legally drive it home? But, if I choose to ship it, must go through a FFL dealer. Is this correct?

Yes, Cabelas does all the paperwork there and you leave with it. Ship the same gun and you need an FFL, that's it. The gun must be purchased legally at its point of origin and then can be transported home following federal transport guidelines

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Yes, Cabelas does all the paperwork there and you leave with it. Ship the same gun and you need an FFL, that's it. The gun must be purchased legally at its point of origin and then can be transported home following federal transport guidelines

There is no paperwork on a ML in PA.  You walk in and buy it and walk out.  You only need to provide proof of age.  Once legally acquired you are fine bringing it back to NJ.