• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Ever Had a Perfect Day?

27 replies to this topic

#1 Male ONLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 08:54 AM

Have you ever had a perfect day in the field?

One day that stands out in my mind took place 20 years ago. It was not the biggest buck I have ever taken and nothing really extraordinary happened that day, but every piece of the puzzle came together to make it a truly memorable day.

For starters I was able to spend some quality time with a good friend. We wanted a change of scenery from the ridges and forests of zone 3 so we took the hour drive down to one of my favorite farms in Asbury, zone 7. The farmer had just finished harvesting the corn that week and the weather was perfect, one of those late October days with crisp fall air and deep blue skies. The combination of the harvested fields, the fall colors and the blue skies created an awesome backdrop to our day.

In addition, we were hunting one of the best natural funnels I have found in 40 years of hunting. A narrow cedar thicket connects two large woodlots and there is continuous deer activity through those cedars. To top it all off, the deer were being very cooperative that day. The bucks were cruising as the pre-rut was ramping up and we had nonstop action all afternoon.

We set up only 50 yards from each other but the cedars are so thick there we might as well have been a mile apart. With the sun still well above the horizon I spotted a buck slowly working his way towards me. He was taking his time, rubbing trees and scraping as he went. Just as he came into bow range I heard my buddy shoot. Fortunately my buck didn’t pay it any mind and walked right into my shooting lane, offering me a broadside shot at 13 yards. And as they say, the rest is history.

Posted Image

#2 Male OFFLINE   sam3

sam3

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 09:00 AM

Great story and pic.

Although that guy on the left looks kinda shady..
:rofl:

#3 Male OFFLINE   rossbowhunter

rossbowhunter

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 09:01 AM

Yesterday was pretty perfect, nice buck in the morning, went out in the afternoon and killed a doe.

:thumb_up::cool:

Thank you for the story.

Paul M. Ross

Coldwell Banker Sales Associate

908-943-8842

#4 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 09:13 AM

They are all perfect days for me, some I win , some the chased game wins, and each day one or the other learns a little more.

NO bad days when you learn from everyone of them
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING
www.njfishingcharters.net

#5 Male OFFLINE   MackofallTrades

MackofallTrades

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 09:14 AM

Yeah, I had one of those.

It was my first season bowhunting. My buddy and I would always go together. He was teaching me all sorts of things that I had never known. It was great to spend time together and to just be out in the woods.

Something was different that morning though. I had a feeling of success that I haven't had before or since. As we were walking in, I stopped him and said, "We are going to be out of the woods by 8:30 this morning." We both laughed and just kinda acknowledged how hopeful I sounded.

Well, it was late October, and my buddy was grunting and rattling at some bucks he saw pretty far away. Being only 50 yards from me, I could hear him pretty well and one rattle made me look over at him (caught me by surprise). Well, I looked back down at the woods in between us and this 8 pointer was 20 yards from my tree. I had no clue how he walked right in front of me without me seeing it. It was like he just teleported out of nowhere.

I stood up, grabbed my bow and was about to draw when I saw my buddy turn around to face me. The buck was looking in his direction and I just figured that the whole thing was blown. I motioned for him to stop moving and he froze (I think he saw the bow in my hand). I watched him look down with his eyes and tense up. This buck was a beauty.

I drew, the buck turned quartering away. I let the arrow fly.

Long story short, we were out of the woods before 8:30 with my first buck ever in the bed of his truck. It was a great day.

downsized_1025091106.jpg

1107101651copy.jpg

#6 Male OFFLINE   swampfox

swampfox

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 09:20 AM

When my 10 year old grandson smoked a doe with the muzzle loader,smoke cleared the deer never even kicked,was great.

#7 Male ONLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 10:43 AM

Although that guy on the left looks kinda shady..

Whatchyou talkin bout Willis?? :hmmm:

:rofl::rofl:

#8 Male OFFLINE   RifledSlug

RifledSlug

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 10:56 AM

I've had near perfect days, awesome, memorable and inspiring days while afield or on the water but never perfect. I plan on having the perfect day next bow season when I watch my son take his first deer while I watch. Can't wait!
The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness.
YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Male OFFLINE   chuprinko

chuprinko

Fawn

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 11:08 AM

Just about anytime I am able to get out on the woods and clear my head, enjoy the scenery, its a perfect day. Throw in a chance at flinging and arrow makes it even better.
Rifledslug - I agree - As you know when my son got his first deer this past fall it was as close to perfect as one can get - still 'a proud dad' when I have chance to share his story.

#10 Male OFFLINE   RifledSlug

RifledSlug

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 02:54 PM

Just about anytime I am able to get out on the woods and clear my head, enjoy the scenery, its a perfect day. Throw in a chance at flinging and arrow makes it even better.
Rifledslug - I agree - As you know when my son got his first deer this past fall it was as close to perfect as one can get - still 'a proud dad' when I have chance to share his story.

Yea, it was hard to tell who's smile was bigger that night. :D
The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness.
YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF - Benjamin Franklin

#11 OFFLINE   Cousin Brown

Cousin Brown

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 02:56 PM

:thumb_up:

#12 Male OFFLINE   sam3

sam3

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 03:33 PM

Whatchyou talkin bout Willis?? :hmmm:

:rofl::rofl:

We are eagerly awaiting his presence here. :beer:

#13 Male ONLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 03:35 PM

We are eagerly awaiting his presence here

I'm confused, who, and where is here? :confused:

#14 Male OFFLINE   sam3

sam3

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 03:37 PM

I'm confused, who, and where is here? :confused:

OK, I'll have to go tell him myself then.

#15 Male ONLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 03:50 PM

I'll have to go tell him myself then

Sorry, I'm a little slow (not really, I just had a few too many at lunch :beer:) :rofl:

He’s already here. 870 was a dumb name since I (I mean he) hasn’t shot a shotgun in 20 years. “Rufous” is a rusty brown color, that name is a little more appropriate. ;)

#16 Male OFFLINE   sam3

sam3

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 03:54 PM

Sorry, I'm a little slow (not really, I just had a few too many at lunch :beer:) :rofl:

He’s already here. 870 was a dumb name since I (I mean he) hasn’t shot a shotgun in 20 years. “Rufous” is a rusty brown color, that name is a little more appropriate. ;)

That's great! :rofl:

#17 OFFLINE   LittleM

LittleM

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 04:03 PM

Perfect day - posted this a long time ago on the other site. 2nd youth day and my son and I were in a double ladder stand. Sat all afternoon and about 20 minutes before the end of legal shooting time, a small doe walked out into the pasture we were watching. I was gonna let him shoot it, despite it being the opener of 6-day, given he had sat so long. As it got closer, it looked back from where it came and I had my son hold off. Three bucks filtered into the pasture, all 6-points. They took a path that led them out of range of his 20 gauge buckshot. At about 70 yards out, he told me to shoot one. At the shot, the buck I hit turned towards us and ran right under the stand. Fortunately, one of the other bucks followed it and passed by the stand at about 15 yards. He shot and dropped it. After 4 hours in the stand, we had two bucks down within yards of one and other and his first buck down. Perfect.

#18 Male ONLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 04:29 PM

After 4 hours in the stand, we had two bucks down within yards of one and other and his first buck down. Perfect.

There is nothing better than hunting with your kids. :thumb_up::thumb_up:

#19 Male ONLINE   Palawman30

Palawman30

Owner of PredaTorch.com

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 04:35 PM

Ive had many perfect days and for that Im blessed.
The 2 that stand out are the days both of my kids scored their first bucks

#20 Male ONLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 05:08 PM

The 2 that stand out are the days both of my kids scored their first bucks

I've been there, there are no better days in the wood than those.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users