IGNORED

Butcher question?

Woodrufflou

Let me start off by saying, i always do all my own butchering. Never had to use a butcher. Killed a doe a coupls weeks ago and just had to much going on so I figured I would just drop it off and have a butcher cut it up for me to save time.

The doe was probably around 85-90 pounds. How much should I get back? 25-30 pounds?

I got back

(6) 1.5-2 LB packages of chop meat

(3) small packages of steaks

(5) small packages of cutlets

(2) loins

Does that seem normal? Again I'm not bashing anybody or doubting it, just not sure since all my deer are butchered by my father and myself.

"I am the MacGyver of cooking. If you bring me a piece of bread, cabbage, coconut, mustard greens, pigs feet, pine cones...and a woodpecker, I'll make you a good chicken pot pie." — Si Robertson

40-45% of live weight is actual meat. If the deer was 100lbs, you can expect 40-45lbs back.

40% of 85lbs is what, 34lbs?

1-are you sure what the deer weighed live?

2-do you trust that butcher?

There are quite a few top notch guys in the state that will do a bang-up job and guarantee your own deer back.

Not positive on the actual weight. It was a decent sized doe. Every bit of 85 LB+. I never used this butcher before. I heard good things about him. That's why I'm not complaining. I was just curious. We always cut our own deer but the majority of times we keep the hams whole so I really don't have anything to judge against.

"I am the MacGyver of cooking. If you bring me a piece of bread, cabbage, coconut, mustard greens, pigs feet, pine cones...and a woodpecker, I'll make you a good chicken pot pie." — Si Robertson

if you got 30 lbs back it probably isn't far off, probably a few pounds off but not to bad, each butcher is different, some take their time and get everything some get most of the meet and some plain ol suck and only get the big quick easy stuff. sounds like you got the middle guy which isn't horrible. you will never get as much as if you do it your self that's for sure

if you got 30 lbs back it probably isn't far off, probably a few pounds off but not to bad, each butcher is different, some take their time and get everything some get most of the meet and some plain ol suck and only get the big quick easy stuff. sounds like you got the middle guy which isn't horrible. you will never get as much as if you do it your self that's for sure

That's kinda what I figured. Just wasn't sure. Like I said, I'm not complaining. It saved me the time of doing it.

How's the meat look compared to how you butcher? You guys also might be more meticulous in removing fat or leave it for when you do meal prep whereas some butchers quickly slice off the fat with more waste.

Also was that 85lbs dressed or live? Big difference in terms of meat back. Live weight 30-35 sounds right. Dressed id be expecting quick a bit more.

How's the meat look compared to how you butcher? You guys also might be more meticulous in removing fat or leave it for when you do meal prep whereas some butchers quickly slice off the fat with more waste.

Also was that 85lbs dressed or live? Big difference in terms of meat back. Live weight 30-35 sounds right. Dressed id be expecting quick a bit more.

Matt, around 85-90 pounds live. Typical southern nj deer. The meat looks good. Doesn't look like much fat on it. It looks cut up nice and is vacuum packed nicely. From the sound of it, looks like I got back just about what I should of.

So you got 16 packages of meat back. If each one weighs 2lbs, then you're probably pretty close.

I for one, wouldn't take a deer to anyone other than Tom the Butcher and I know a ton of guys here who feel exactly the same way.

Tom the butcher :up:  :up:  :up:

Edited by BEAR