IGNORED

Leon Stewart Traditional bows

Bill from NJ

Has anyone here purchased, used, or know much about Leon Stewart Traditional bows?

I am interested in acquiring one but need more information.

I am not quite sure yet, as to the style bow I really want: Referring to either Long bow, recurve, or R/D type.

The bow I currently been using for the past 20 years is a Jeffrey Special 62" 53# @ 28" 3 pc Takedown.

The main requirements I am looking for a traditional bow that is:

1) Quiet

2) Has a Smooth full draw to anchor point.

3) Comfortable hand grip.

4) Getting older, maybe a reduced draw weight?

Not necessarily in this order of priority. 

They are all very subjective points I know, but I will know what I want once I find it.

I need to hold in hand, draw and shoot the darn thing before I purchase my next bow.

So, I figure since Leon Steward is about 1 hour from me over in Pennsylvania, I could take a little ride over the bridge. 

Any thoughts?

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

I would drive and see him. At his price point I would like to try first. Whats the name of the other bow maker in Pa? The name slips from me now.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

Like Howard HIll said "I'm not a good enough shot to shoot a recurve".  I shoot light weight recurves real good on targets, but under field condition and less than perfect conditions, ie. cold fingers, bulky clothes, nerves, (lol), I shoot much better with what I feel is a more "forgiving" long bow.   And.... I really like my slow shooting all hickory long bows.  No fiberglass.  Like a slow moving freight liner, nothing moves that arrow off course!  Unlike a fast shooting glass backed bow, very unstable, prone to magnify errors. IMHO.  Some guys like them.  More power to them! Been shooting them over 30 years, making them for 20.  Just my 2 cents...

I would drive and see him. At his price point I would like to try first. Whats the name of the other bow maker in Pa? The name slips from me now.

Fedora is the I am thinking of http://www.fedoracustombows.com/.

Your right, it is Fadora bows. But they moved to Utah.

They were on my list also, but they are no longer around in Pennsylvania.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Nomad,

I am open to a long bow. BUT, I have no experience ever shooting one.

I have serious questions about the types of grips: such as the strait, pistol, and the 3rd I cannot remember offhand.

There are some questions about "Hand Shock" what ever that is?

Again, I need to actually have hands on experience.

It

This is all really subjective… Somehow I will know what is right after I physically test some out.

Which bring up the next series of questions:

Where can I find a real kind of local Traditional bow shop that has a large selection of bows to try out?

Are there any Traditional archery shows in the local area where I can try different bows? 

I am serious in getting another bow, this time I know what will make me happy, and I will not rush this one.

Nomad,

I am open to a long bow. BUT, I have no experience ever shooting one.

I have serious questions about the types of grips: such as the strait, pistol, and the 3rd I cannot remember offhand.

There are some questions about "Hand Shock" what ever that is?

Again, I need to actually have hands on experience.

It

This is all really subjective… Somehow I will know what is right after I physically test some out.

Which bring up the next series of questions:

Where can I find a real kind of local Traditional bow shop that has a large selection of bows to try out?

Are there any Traditional archery shows in the local area where I can try different bows? 

I am serious in getting another bow, this time I know what will make me happy, and I will not rush this one.

24th Annual Whittingham

Traditional 3-D Archery Rendezvous

April 22, 23, and 24 2016

Hosted and Presented by

The Appalachian Bowmen of Sussex County, New Jersey

You may find some bows here.

THANK YOU for the information!

How large is this event?

Many people show up?

Is this a family event?

OK found some basic info:  Thanks again!

2016 24th Annual Whittingham

Traditional 3-D Archery Rendezvous
April 22, 23, and 24 2016

Hosted and Presented by ...
The Appalachian Bowmen of Sussex County, New Jersey

Sponsored by ...
Traditional Archers of New Jersey (www.tradnj.com)
Traditional Bowhunter Magazine (www.tradbow.com)

Featuring ...
Two 20-Target 3-D Ranges
Archery Golf Course
Novelty Targets and Practice Range
UFO Flying Disc Launcher
Archery Vendors and Crafters
Swap Meet Friday and Saturday

Food and Refreshments
Free Door Prizes donated by Vendors
Stump Shoot and Arcade Range
Camping
Eagle Eye Qualifier
And more!!!

This is an open shoot, only traditional archery equipment is allowed.

Information and Directions ...
The Traditional Archery Rendezvous is located near Newton at the Whittingham
Wildlife Management Area just 15 minutes north of the Allamuchy Exit 19 off I-80.
The address is 118 Shotwell Road, Newton NJ 07860. Follow the Bow Shoot signs.

For information: Archers & Vendors, call the Appalachian Bowmen at (973) 383-6787.
Email: AppalachianBowmen@hotmail.com

Traditional Archery Rendezvous
Registration Opens at 7:30 AM

1 Day $20
2 Day $30
3 Day $40

Kids 12-16 $5/Day
Under 12 Free

Camping ...
$5/Adult/Night, Kids under 17 are FREE
There is no Potable water available at the shoot. Make sure to bring what water you think you will need.
At the request of the New Jersey Forest Fire Service, Fires must be in a metal fire-ring.
No alcoholic beverages are allowed on the property.

As others have said, going to a few traditional shoots will help you understand the much talked about terms related with stick bows. There are a host of traditional books by Fred Asbell, TJ Conrads, to name a couple that do a great job explaining how to's. If you are just starting out the used market is the best path to take as you will only dump 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of new. Try sites like Stick bow.com and Archerytalk.com as they don't charge you any fee to use the classified section. I have bought, sold and traded stick bows all over the USA without the slightest problem. One thing you will find is just a great group of folks with a common interest. 

Thanks guys for the tips and information given.

I have a lot to think about, and you've all given me much to look into and pursue.