IGNORED

anyone predator hunting tomorrow 1/9/16?

Kype

just got all my stuff ready tonight. will be out in the morning for a few hours. ill see what happens. first time fox hunting. caught plenty in snares, but never hunted them with a caller. good luck to anyone else going. i hope the weather holds out. zone 12. will be shooting my .22 hollow points

just got all my stuff ready tonight. will be out in the morning for a few hours. ill see what happens. first time fox hunting. caught plenty in snares, but never hunted them with a caller. good luck to anyone else going. i hope the weather holds out. zone 12. will be shooting my .22 hollow points

Where ya headed Kyle? I'll be out near New Egypt....

Been calling quite a few fox the last week. Jersey has alot of reds. Haven't seen a gray.

Start off with a mouse squeeker mid volume about 40 yards downwind of your call. Keep your back to the edge of the woods if your sitting on a field.

The fox seem to be doing alot of side approaches. Coyotes almost always try to circle the call so watch for eyes left and right of your caller.

Do not highlight yourself! Keep the lights ouT in front of you. If your gun is front of you and you shine the light you cast a shadow....no shadows! That's what spooks fox and yotes... everything at your back BLACK....

Mouse squeeker

Injured rabbit

Injured moles,voles etc....

Fox normally appear within first 15 minutes...

Coyotes usually take a little longer, up to an hour.

If you get past 15 minutes with no fox run coyote locator

Then pup distress

Back to rabbit distress...

I've been getting fantastic response on fox pro-baybee coronal and Jack attack...

Goodluck

referral-0686239001424316551.png

PredaTorch.com         Hot Estrous Doe and Other Deer Scent, Night Predator Lights

no luck this morning....i used the dying cottontail and mouse/vole squeaks. i am heading back out around 230 to hunt until sunset. 

do you guys use the mojo decoy that spins in a circle? this morning i only brought the caller with me. i am thinking something visual will make a wary fox come in to investigate along with the caller. i dont know lol. this is my first year. trail and error i guess. 

I have a mojo decoy....I've had foxes come right to it, also had owls swoop at it at night.

Generally the decoy helps them close the distance and the focus is off you and on the decoy.

Definitely a lot of trial and error.  Of course you have to be where the foxes are within earshot.

Woods hunting is definitely much tougher (for greys) IMO than the fields (for reds and sometimes greys pulled out of the woods)...just due to visibility.

Keep at it, things will click the more you do it...and it's pretty cool when they come running into a set! :up:

i called in one fox yesterday evening around 430pm. using the cottontail distress call. was pretty cool seeing it. the fox stopped about 100 yards away and was just starring in the direction my caller was. then the fox ran into some thick briars. never saw it again. 

its a start, and season is still early. 

Did you have your decoy out?

yes i did. i dont think the fox saw it though. where it was set was kind of hard to see(for the fox). i am banking on that fact that if the fox saw the decoy it would of ran right up to it lol. i will hit the same spot tomorrow after work and set the decoy in a different spot. i saw the fox run into the briars and as soon as it popped out i would of had a shot. just never came out. still was a fun hunt. also saw 3 does. looking forward to getting out at night with the predatorch i bought. tested it in my back yard. lights are BRIGHT, nice solid beam too

Ah OK.  Yeah usually if they see it, they lock in and come right in.

Be careful, you don't want to overcall an area.

If you do call a spot more than once in say 2 weeks, you'll want to change locations on the property paying attention to the wind.  In fact, change the type of call you use as well.

You want to always keep things new...foxes aren't as smart as yotes, but they will get educated and lock up, just watching instead of running right in.