IGNORED

Nutrition

not on the rug

Well...what's everybody eating?

I'll start. 

Meat, seafood, eggs, limited poultry:  Lots of it.  Most of it free range, grassfed, wild caught, etc

Veggies and fruits:  As much as I can get

Raw milk and Raw milk cheeses:  once or twice a week

Carb sources: white rice or wild rice.  potatoes and other tubers.  squashes.  Oats

Fats/Oils:  Bacon fat, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Cold pressed coconut oil, Grassfed butter

What I don't eat:  Wheat or any other grain with gluten in it.  Soy.  Anything from a box, bag or package.  Any type of industrial/seed oil such as canola, corn, vegetable, etc. 

Sample of what I'm eating today:

Breakfast:  6 eggs scrambled in coconut oil.  A little imported parmaesan cheese on them. Black coffee (french pressed, organic/free trade/dark roast stuff)  32oz of water. 

Lunch: A huge salad with about 7-8 different veggies.  Leftover grilled flank steak.  

Dinner: Venison burgers with good cheddar cheese.  No rolls  (of course) , wild rice.  Green beans sautéed in butter

I'll probably have a few squares of dark chocolate to snack on tonight and certainly have some green tea as well.

I sip on at least a gallon of water throughout the day.  closer to a gallon of a half sometimes.

Right now, I'm neither trying to add mass (since I've been sidelined from lifting for over a month) nor lean out, so I'm not really worried about force-feeding myself extras or carefully watching portions.

Remember...You are what you eat... and more importantly, you are what you eat eats.  

Edited by not on the rug

Breakfast,12 egg whites,one cup of oatmeal in a cup of whole milk with raisens,quart of water,several cups of coffee.

Snack,cup of low fat Greek yogurt with a scoop of peanut butter and protien mixed in

Lunch,large chicken breast on a wrap with baby spinach,two sweet potatoes,one apple quart of water

Snack,protien shake with fruit,quart of water

Dinner varies,tonight venison backstrap,brown rice,sweet potatoe,quart of water,

Protein shake before bed

I have been on a vegan diet for approximately two years no - no meat, dairy, oils, or sugars.  Lots of vegetables, beans, nuts, and some fruits. 

I lost 45 pounds.  Was able to discontinue my cholesterol meds.  Sleep better.  More energy.  Run circles around foks half my age.  No side effects.  Still hunt and kill deer - imagine that a vegan hunter.

Folks said it was not gonna be good for me and that over time I would see the deleterious effects.  So far, I have not.  My doc says go for it.  I have conversed with folks who have done it for 20 years plus.

It was not easy but now its a life style.  Works for me.

While I think it's possible to be a healthy vegan long term, it's not really probable.  You really have to eat an enormous variety, be sure to get plenty of plant based protein (which is hard to do) and supplement the goodies that you simply can't get from plant sources.  An absolute must supplement for vegans is B12.  Personally, I'd probably add Vitamin D (especially in the fall/winter) and iodine as well (unless you're eating plenty of seaweed and kelp.  I'd also keep a close eye on calcium and iron. 

Eating more plants and less crap is always a huge step in the right direction.

Edited by not on the rug

I eat about 2 dozen eggs a week, mostly the whites. 4 hardboiled eggs for breakfast, minus the yolks. Sometimes I'll have an omelette with a green veg in it and cheddar, usually take 2 of the 3 yolks out of the 3 egg omelette. 

Fish a few times a week, usually salmon, lots of kale, spinach, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, broccoli, green beans, chicken, venison.

Just had some venison and swiss roll-ups for lunch. Took a roast from the ham of a deer, rubbed with kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper and garlic powder, seared it in olive oil on both sides then put in the oven until med-rare. after letting it cool I put it in the freezer to tighten up, then sliced very thin like roast beef lunch meat. Rolled up the meat with a slice of swiss, some horseradish, and slice of jalapeno pepper. 

Have some left over rotisserie chicken I'll probably dice up and mix with kale sauted in garlic and olive oil, add in some roasted chic peas (coated with olive oil, salt and a touch of lemon juice). I usually put the chic peas in the oven for about 20 minutes to get a bit crispy. Finish the whole kale-chicken pan off with half a lemon squeezed over it. 

I keep lite string cheese in the fridge for snacks, as well as celery stalks, that laughing cow cheese spread that I put on the celery and then dip them in sunflower seeds, also greek yogurt, and dark chocolate covered almonds, as well as regular almonds for snacks. If you are off carbs and want something sweet, trying mixing some low fat ricotta cheese with some vanilla extract, cinnamon and heat some natural honey. Mix it together, can throw in some unsweetened coca powder too, or peanut butter, protein powder, lots of variables. Makes a good, low carb sweet desert. 

Few more things I do is a salad of romaine, and/or spring greens/spinach with olives, cucumbers, green peppers, hard boiled egg whites diced up and a can of tuna in olive oil, love the Cento brand Italian tuna. That's lunch sometimes.

When the wife and kids eat tacos, instead of a taco shell, I take the meat, place it in a cleaned green bell pepper mixed with some diced jalapeno, black olives, cheddar cheese and throw in the oven until the pepper is done, but still firm. Top with salsa. 

In the summer, we basically eat from my garden every day.

20150622_134107_zpsznwzwspv.jpg

My harvests look like this about every 2 or 3 days for some of June, all of July, and much of August.

DSC00591_zpsyeyrz1ou.jpg

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Nice Garden! We grow all our own, as well.

Thanks.

This is a typical breakfast or lunch during the summer. Everything from out back...except the venison but it came from the woods, so concept is the same.

3 pepper omelette with bell, cubanelle and pablano peppers from the garden and eggs from my brothers chickens (most of the time, have to buy them this time of year). The meat is a smoked venison backstrap and the tomato is from the garden too. 

20150814_090012_zpsa9twlsln.jpg

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

• 2 weeks later...

One whole egg and 2 egg whites. Whole egg over-medium, one piece of rye toast (trying to cut out all breads) small piece of chicken breast (Need a meat with my breakfast).

Snack usually an apple with some walnuts or kind bar.

Lunch a sandwich with turkey or chicken lettuce tomato and homemade mayo.

Snack fruits and vegetables

Dinner usually some type of grilled meat with baked potato or grilled or steamed vegetables...

i have a question. if you had 5 things you had to choose to eat for month. what would it be. im not trying to be an idiot. im serious. im just curious as to what the human body must have to survive. of course water, and what 5 main foods? 

i have a question. if you had 5 things you had to choose to eat for month. what would it be. im not trying to be an idiot. im serious. im just curious as to what the human body must have to survive. of course water, and what 5 main foods?

Grassfed beef or venison (including the liver/heart)

Wild caught salmon

Eggs

Potatoes

Kale or rainbow chard

The blueberries and the sardines would be pretty good choices as both are relatively nutrient dense.

The beef jerkey is super lean and unless you were eating tons of sardines, you probably wouldn't be taking in enough dietary fat

String beans and oatmeal are both basically devoid of any nutrition.

Without some liver or abundance of a dark leafy greens, you'd be severely lacking in many vitamins and minerals

I usually have Quaker protein oatmeal, with wheat germ, and a cut up banana and blue berries on top for breakfast.  Coffee and small cup of orange juice.   Good or no good?  Sometime I have a bowl of Kashi cereal with the bananas and blue berries instead.

Edited by Nomad