IGNORED

Ramsey - deer control

Mayor Desire Dillon

says, " Bergen Co. is one of three counties in the state without deer control services at the county level."

Ramsey is planning to host a joint town hall event with Allendale featuring a deer expert from Trenton to discuss deer options...

Edited by BCsaw

Wonder what she means by the word "services"?  Perhaps one of three counties that don't allow hunting on county owned lands?  Passaic would be one I know of.  I guess Bergen and something like Essex, Hudson or Union would be the others?  Just speculating.  Either way, it should be a good thing that a mayor in a densely populated county is working towards deer control.  Let's hope it includes the maximum amount of hunting allowed under the rules.  That seems to be the only way to control deer numbers.  Bumpers are too expensive and birth control doesn't work.    

Bergen county is extremely anti-gun (guess which NJ State Sentor is from there), and most likely significantly restricts hunting. You might be able to hunt the Ramapo mountain areas, but I may not be correct and it might be off-limits.

It could be a good opportunity for a UBNJ-managed hunt versus hiring a company to do it.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

BY TOM NOBILE

STAFF WRITER | RAMSEY SUBURBAN NEWS

Ramsey - Rising populations in the local deer herd may prompt the borough to endorse its first deer-culling program within the next two years.

>>

Little data is available on how many deer reside in the borough’s 5.5 square miles. Officials must rely on experience and anecdotal evidence to gauge the size of the population, which they believe has grown exponentially in recent years.

"We’ve never taken these steps before. I think that’s because for many years people looked the other way as the deer population expanded. Now it’s to the point where everywhere you look you see deer," Mayor Deidre Dillon said in an interview Wednesday, Sept. 23.

On a recent trip to the Ramsey Farmers’ Market, Dillon said, a woman approached her complaining of four deer |}—> a buck, doe and two calves |}—> living in her back yard. Similar grievances have become commonplace among residents. It’s also an ongoing issue at the Northwest Bergen Mayors Association meetings, Dillon said.

The first step is to educate the public to accept lethal methods of controlling deer, such as bow hunting, which state officials say has proven suitable to reduce herds in suburban areas. By year’s end, Dillon hopes to coordinate a town hall event in the high school auditorium featuring a deer expert from Trenton.

Many people tend to have a knee-jerk reaction when they hear words like "hunting" or "culling," Dillon said. But in sitting through numerous deer presentations, humane alternatives such as deer birth control have appeared uneconomical and ineffective.

"Culling is the only viable way to control the population," Dillon said. "It’s unfortunate, but it’s what we need to do."

Deer populations are kept in check "fairly well" in state wildlife management areas and forests, said Larry Hajna, a press officer for the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. Ironically, suburban regions are more likely to become overpopulated due to limited hunting areas and discomfort among residents with the idea of use lethal methods to control the deer population.

"We have a very liberal set of hunting seasons," Hajna said. "Where it becomes more difficult is in residential areas."

Deer hunting with firearms is only permitted within state-sanctioned zones. In Northwest Bergen, that area lies between the intersection of Routes 287 and 202 beginning at the Suffern County line. Per state law, no firearm hunter may carry a loaded firearm or hunt within 450 feet of a building or any school playground, even if unoccupied, unless the owner grants permission in writing. Bow and arrows are also prohibited from being discharged within 150 feet of occupied buildings.

Deer are attracted to open lawns and plantings, Hajna said. Some residents also encourage deer by feeding them, something the state discourages. Deer are able to sense and adapt to areas where they won’t be hunted.

"(Deer) know it’s safer in suburbia," Hajna said. "But lot of people are finding that deer are nuisance."

The state is better equipped to quantify deer counts in huntable zones than in suburban areas. Last summer, about 120,000 were estimated statewide, not including those roaming local back yards and streets.

Hajna said a the state offers a program called Community-Based Deer Management, in which towns can hire help to cull local herds. But only a handful of municipalities join each year.

Any change in Ramsey would involve a "multi-agency effort" by the Borough Council, police department and Board of Health to educate the public,

*amend ordinances* and find professional hunters.

uploadfromtaptalk1452217017560.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"On a recent trip to the Ramsey Farmers’ Market, Dillon said, a woman approached her complaining of four deer |}—> a buck, doe and two calves |}—> living in her back yard. Similar grievances have become commonplace among residents. It’s also an ongoing issue at the Northwest Bergen Mayors Association meetings, Dillon said."

I'm unclear, do they have a problem with deer or wild cows?  :rofl: 

Early in the article it indicates they are only pursuing hired guns like a White Buffalo to cull the deer, but later on they discuss the option of archery which IMO is the better option by far.  White Buffalo and other firms like theirs get a bunch of $$ for each deer they shoot, and that costs taxpayers more money in an already over taxed state.  Let hunters cull them as most of the rest of the state does.  

It is these areas where unlimited antlerless deer harvesting is a must. Allowing UBNJ or some other Outdoor organization in there to perform a managed hunt would help significantly, or allow hunting period however you need someone to control the hunters in these urban environments to ensure safety, fairness and success. Some towns have listen to my smeal and ended up doing their own thing naturally it was a huge debacle. Some towns allowed their residents and township employees to hunt without a program and a herd that was said to be out of control yielded one deer. 

White Buffalo is out, we don't need them here with the reduction of the safety perimeter we can allow bowhunting in these tight areas.

The Division makes it too easy for WHITE BUFFALO to come in and harvest deer, when they should be allowing UBNJ and other Outdoor Organizations to set up hunts in these areas where their limited access and overpoplutaion of deer. Deer Depredation Permits too easily available, We pay for wildlife no one should be permitted to shoot deer indiscriminately and bury them in a hole. The Division should be helping hunters first, we pay the salaries we need to have our voices heard.

Hopefully, the Federation has called for a meeting which UBNJ will be attending and we can talk about creating a quality hunt again in NJ, some things may have to be sacraficed but it will be for the betterment of the future.

Jack

It is these areas where unlimited antlerless deer harvesting is a must. Allowing UBNJ or some other Outdoor organization in there to perform a managed hunt would help significantly, or allow hunting period however you need someone to control the hunters in these urban environments to ensure safety, fairness and success. Some towns have listen to my smeal and ended up doing their own thing naturally it was a huge debacle. Some towns allowed their residents and township employees to hunt without a program and a herd that was said to be out of control yielded one deer. 

White Buffalo is out, we don't need them here with the reduction of the safety perimeter we can allow bowhunting in these tight areas.

The Division makes it too easy for WHITE BUFFALO to come in and harvest deer, when they should be allowing UBNJ and other Outdoor Organizations to set up hunts in these areas where their limited access and overpoplutaion of deer. Deer Depredation Permits too easily available, We pay for wildlife no one should be permitted to shoot deer indiscriminately and bury them in a hole. The Division should be helping hunters first, we pay the salaries we need to have our voices heard.

Hopefully, the Federation has called for a meeting which UBNJ will be attending and we can talk about creating a quality hunt again in NJ, some things may have to be sacraficed but it will be for the betterment of the future.

Jack

There are certain state regulations when giving out bid for state and local jobs.  I know that there is an allocation for small businesses especially NJ small businesses.  I would argue that towns looking to hire a firm that they must adhere to the 25% small business threshold required by all state contracts.  Might be a good opportunity to use the laws to encourage towns to allow the citizens of the state to help address some of these issues versus hiring an out of state group to do it.

Just my $0.02.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

They can keep all those pesticide feed deer. I would not even feed that meat to a dog..... :nonono:

Agreed you have to be crazy to eat any of that tainted venison. That's why I Butcher it up and give it all away to my friends.

"All men die, not all men really live". WW