IGNORED

How to keep deer out of your snares

Keeping them from knocking them over is hard. As far as keeping them from taking off with them make sure they're fastened down good. Better safe than having a deer running around with a snare that has your name, CID # attached. Keep the top within 24" from the ground and don't put anything over the top of them to make them duck into them. I'd rather find them knocked over day after day than a dead deer

First..Try to avoid them by not setting where deer are likely to travel.

Never set a Coyote snare on a deer trail BIG NO-NO.

If they are taking off with your snares , you are not anchoring solid enough.

If they are being caught by the leg, you may not have the deer stop set at the correct distance from the lock.

Coyotes can be caught in fox snares (caught plenty in 8" loops) so if they are being neck caught, set smaller loops.

If you are new to snareing, perhaps you may want to consider useing break away locks till you get 'the hang' of where to set and where not to. I'd much rather have the lock end of the snare, fail, then the swivel end.

Never try to block deer by putting a 'jump stick' over the snare. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't, when it don't....You've got a deer

Thanks for the help. This is my 3rd year snaring. I have been getting a lot of knock downs from deer so i put a jump stick over it and today had a deer by the neck in the snare. All the other deer were just knocking it over with their feet so i put a jump stick over it, that will be the last time i do that. Would rather have them knock the snare over then get caught.

what if you have some venison by catch in the snare. what happens then?

You need to cut the snare off the deer. That's all I am going to say. Move quick

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.