IGNORED

Replacing a sight pin

not on the rug

I don't think you want to burn it. Might take away the light transmittance. I'd prob cut to fit and maybe try to glue it in place if pressure alone won't hold it.

That's what I was thinking, but it appears that the fiber optics are melted slightly at the ends. They're definitely a bit of a "ball" on the end.

I definitely don't want to touch heat directly to it, but I was thinking about moving a heat source close enough to it so that it just mushrooms

Edited by not on the rug

Indirect heat. If you can hold it over a stove, that will work.

I usually use a lighter (you might be able to use a heat gun/hair dryer too). If you use an open flame don't get the flame anywhere near the fiber or it will burn. Work towards it and it will heat up and melt into a ball. If you get too close they can melt "foggy"...(best I can describe it)....

Some fiber seems easier to ruin than others. My suggestion is to have more material than you need and practice a few times. If you overheat it, some fiber tends to get brittle and break. When it cools it becomes rigid and fragile if it was way overheated.

You'll see...the fiber balls up really easily with just a little heat. Obviously make sure it's inserted into the pin before melting both ends.

Edited by Matty

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

• 5 months later...