IGNORED

Casings for making sausages, salami, etc.?

Bucksnbows

Wasn't sure just where to put this topic, but I lost my connection to free casings the other year and am now looking locally if available.  I'm in northwest NJ and want to make salami mainly.  Not sure if I have a preference between natural and artificial casings, but I do plan to lightly smoke them if that makes a difference.  I can find them online, but wondering if anyone has a local supplier they can recommend?   

Locally , perhaps a restaurant supply could help you....I personlaly order from Amazon Prime ... It's in my house in a day and I order LEM for Mahogany SYN 1-1/2 x12" for Summer Sausage and 19mm edible for a Jerky Sticks . They also have plenty of seaoning mixes . Good Luck

My wife uses Amazon Prime, so maybe that's the way to go.  But I remain old fashioned and still prefer to support local businesses.  Guess that is getting harder and harder to do anymore.  

I have not found a local supplier for casings, so I can't help you there. But if you want to support a family owned casing company, the I suggest looking into Syracuse Casing Co, inc.

Speaking for myself, there is no one stop shopping for my casings.

Snacks sticks are 19 or 21mm mahogany collagen casings.

Hot dogs are 22-26mm natural sheep casings.

Italian sausage/brats/hot links are 29-32mm hog casings.

Kielbasa is 38-42mm hog casings.

Ring Bologna is beef rounds.

Summer sausage is 1.5 -2.5" fiberous.

Dried cured salami is beef middles.

Whole muscle meats (capicola, lonzino, bresaola) is beef bung.

I use Syracuse along with Allied Kenco inc and Butcher and Packer for my needs.

In a pinch, drive down the hill to the Shoprite, believe it or not, they have them there Brian. Looks like a potato salad container by the meats if I remember correctly.

The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness.

YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF - Benjamin Franklin