IGNORED

Jack's Shot Placement Thread

Rusty

My general rule of thumb for quartering and broadside shots is to follow the opposing front leg up to the middle of the chest for a double lung shot.

This shot is actually a little low, especially from a treestand and downward trajectory. I would aim probably another few inches higher.

Whitetail-Deer-Quartering-Away.jpg

quartering-away.jpg

download.jpg

5786f30d2af4767495a946a4fc5e121a.jpg

Thanks Rusty here is a link to the 2015 extensive pictorial/editorial. http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/79-deer-action/189013-shot-selection-angles-deer-anatomy-annual-review-2015-a.html

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Unfortunately, many learn from very poor shots on TV, where they all hit way too far back for my liking... Where I put that bright green dot, is where you should always try to "intersect", it has the greatest room for margin of error.  A lot of the main arteries intersect there, and it's right above the pump house so if you hit a little low, it's all good... 

It's also important to note, how lungs extend further back, above the stomach and liver. If you end up hitting further back, better to be high, because low - is always a gut shot and long or no recovery.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I personally never "try" for a lung hit, I always shoot at the pumper. Many of a deer have tried to duck an arrow which will put you in the lungs, aiming at mid height lungs on an arrow ducking deer usually puts you in the no kill zone under the spine but over the lungs. Oh and I'll add I've had them try to duck but never jump up out of the way of an incoming arrow :hmmmer:

AWM

That is probably the best shot for putting a deer down in sight.

In recent years I have actually started to stay a touch back from there and hold a tiny bit lower though (although that depends on stand or ground / height angle).

It may sound ridiculous, but I've learned that I have a better chance of recovering a gut shot deer than a shoulder hit. If I'm going to make an error, I'd rather it be into the liver or guts than forward into nothing. A gut shot can easily be found if you track it correctly. TIME is all you need. 

I basically want an equal amount of room for error on either side. Results in a lot of double lungs. A lot of times deer will slightly flinch down into the shot too. And if anything, I'd rather miss low, than hit one above the spine.  

I usually try to wait for a decent quartering away shot though like BowhunterNJ posted and can usually aim for the opposite leg. I don't think I've ever lost a quartering away animal, but sadly I have lost a couple broadside deer to high and forward shots. 

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

I personally never "try" for a lung hit, I always shoot at the pumper. Many of a deer have tried to duck an arrow which will put you in the lungs, aiming at mid height lungs on an arrow ducking deer usually puts you in the no kill zone under the spine but over the lungs. Oh and I'll add I've had them try to duck but never jump up out of the way of an incoming arrow :hmmmer:

ok, here we go again, there is in no way shape or form a "void" between spine and lungs!! The lungs fill the entire area ahead of the diaphragm. The spine dips in that area and a shot high looks like high lung, only to pass over the spine and through the blackstrap.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

ok, here we go again, there is in no way shape or form a "void" between spine and lungs!! The lungs fill the entire area ahead of the diaphragm. The spine dips in that area and a shot high looks like high lung, only to pass over the spine and through the blackstrap.

I was gonna let it slide this time.   :rofl: