• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

what would you do ???

22 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   deerslayer01

deerslayer01

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 10:14 AM

ok so 3 days left for shotgun season.. i take 2 vaca days today and tomorrow to hopefuly get atleast 2 more for the freezer.. im on municipal property.. i pull in the parking area theres a truck there that i haven't seen all year, get dressed get to the stand, get set in , gets light enough to see i turn around i see a guy in a portable 75yrds away from me.. screwed my whole day up.. was not there all year and all of a sudden he is..about 7:30 2 come walking down i rushed the shot ( of course i missed ).. so my stand was there unmoved since mid september, this guy comes in totally screws my day up.. i leave , get the vehicle description,licence plate number, go to the municipal building and tell them,, 1 hes too close to me and was not there all year long, and 2, i believe he is too close to the road they tell me that they will call and find out whats going on ... so my question is what would you have done??
shoot more and shoot more often :elch:

#2 Male ONLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 10:43 AM

Moved to General Hunting, please keep the Forum Questions and Answers for those only questions related to the forum! :thumb_up:

#3 OFFLINE   Cousin Brown

Cousin Brown

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 10:52 AM

I don't know how the municipal hunting works & I don't like it when people set up right on top of me either, However, I'm not sure how it ruined your hunt if 2 does came in & you were able to get a shot off. I guess reporting it was a good idea. Good luck.

#4 Male OFFLINE   2Barrel

2Barrel

Button Buck

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 10:57 AM

This is N.J. The most populated state per square mile. You are hunting on public land. Its gonna happen.

#5 Male OFFLINE   hunterbob1

hunterbob1

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 11:08 AM

Hi ,Is there a reason why you didn't talk to the guy? Is no one else allowed there but you? I'd at least of left a note with my number, he may look like a liability then but he could be an asset later.Just my opinion,You asked.:hmmm:
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president. Theodore Roosevelt

#6 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 11:12 AM

Sounds like he has as much right to hunt a municipal property as you do. Just because you haven't seen him all season doesn't mean he has no rights to hunt the same ground. Also, he may have thought the very same thing about you which is "this guy is going to ruin my hunt". Sometimes others don't see established stands, so we can't always assume that is the case. It happened to one of my guys this year where we found a new stand just off our line on state land, but well within sight of one of our stands. We left a polite note letting the newbie know our guy has to walk past to get to his stand and we got a polite return call and everything worked out fine.

As to "hunting too close to a road", you need to know the NJ law. You cannot hunt from the road nor can you shoot across the road, but you can hunt very close to a road if that's your thing. There may be other municipal rules for your town that we don't know about, but it helps to know that this guy may very well have been 100% within his legal rights to hunt just as you were. Unfortunately in NJ, these are typical issues when hunting on public lands. We're just a very crowded state.

#7 Male OFFLINE   deerslayer01

deerslayer01

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 11:37 AM

This is N.J. The most populated state per square mile. You are hunting on public land. Its gonna happen.

its not public its municipal

#8 OFFLINE   Meshach

Meshach

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 11:39 AM

you can hunt right next to the road just not on it and no shooting across it Did the other hunter break any laws? sounds like he was legally hunting

#9 Male OFFLINE   deerslayer01

deerslayer01

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 12:02 PM

my thing is ive been there in that spot in that area the entire year.. ive done my homework ive checked and double check to make sure there was nobody else in the area im in.. this guy just walks in with his little portable and set up right next to me without checking if there was anybody else in the area.. and for the other reply he screwed me because where he sets up is where the deer come from 60% of the time:banghead:

#10 Male OFFLINE   hunterbob1

hunterbob1

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 12:14 PM

You must be new to hunting,in my 41 yrs of hunting I got A million of them,like alot of other guys,you have 7 months I hope it works out for you.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president. Theodore Roosevelt

#11 Male OFFLINE   flat9999

flat9999

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 12:27 PM

Putting a stand in a tree does not claim the spot. There are guys on here that have dozens of stands all over NJ.

If he was hunting legally, you could have just walked over and politely talked to the guy, maybe worked out a schedule or agreement.

#12 Male OFFLINE   deerslayer01

deerslayer01

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 12:37 PM

You must be new to hunting,in my 41 yrs of hunting I got A million of them,like alot of other guys,you have 7 months I hope it works out for you.

new to hunting i dont think so been hunting since i was 9.. so thanks for your input

new to hunting i dont think so been hunting since i was 9.. so thanks for your input

and how you get 7 months?

#13 Male OFFLINE   deerslayer01

deerslayer01

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 12:46 PM

Putting a stand in a tree does not claim the spot. There are guys on here that have dozens of stands all over NJ.

If he was hunting legally, you could have just walked over and politely talked to the guy, maybe worked out a schedule or agreement.

on municipal property it kind of dose

#14 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 01:07 PM

Municipal means town owned. That is public. Township owned lands are funded by we the taxpayer. That doesn't always mean you can hunt them, but it does always mean the lands are publicly owned.

#15 Male OFFLINE   deerslayer01

deerslayer01

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 01:31 PM

Municipal means town owned. That is public. Township owned lands are funded by we the taxpayer. That doesn't always mean you can hunt them, but it does always mean the lands are publicly owned.

yes that is true but nobody can get on if they dont have a permit for that land.. unlike clinton wma e.t.c

#16 Male OFFLINE   flat9999

flat9999

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 01:47 PM

on municipal property it kind of dose

OK, if that's the case, then you should let this guy know the rules, make sure that you bring a copy over to him. I would also file a complaint with a C/O or the parks dept., citing the violation.

#17 Male OFFLINE   2Barrel

2Barrel

Button Buck

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 04:15 PM

:rolleyes:

#18 Male OFFLINE   Stevo

Stevo

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 04:46 PM

I would do nothing. The guy probubly had the same permit you had and was hunting public land.

He was even there first :)
Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

#19 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 04:59 PM

yes that is true but nobody can get on if they dont have a permit for that land.. unlike clinton wma e.t.c

Many towns have no additional rules for hunting on municipally owned lands. Other towns do. It's not a one size fits all. Recently, the Federation and F&G Council were in talks with Hopatcong Twp. because that town thought it needed to pass special laws to allow bow hunting although they had never passed laws against any hunting. They got bad advice from their town's hired attorney (I know, shock and horror, lol). They were told by the Federation, the Division and F&G Council that so long as they don't have any laws preventing hunting, then municipal lands are the same as WMAs or State Parks and Forestry lands that are open to hunting. And for the record, not all WMAs or State Park lands are open for hunting...again, one size does not fit all.

#20 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 08:23 PM

since the guy was hunting from a portable, you might want to also question yourself.
Did he have a permit? you had an opportunity to ask him.

was he hunting there with a portable BEFORE you had hung your stand ??

and possibly you had infringed on an area he had also found and done his homework on , maybe even hunted previous years ??

Had he possibly hunted there alot on days you were not there ??

also sounds like he had got in there earlier than you had so if anything after seeing his truck you might have thought about not walking in later and possibly ruining his hunt ??
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING
www.njfishingcharters.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users