• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Mossberg 835

5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hunterdan199

hunterdan199

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 01:17 AM

Wanted to pick one up 12 gauge 20 inch barrel thumbhole any body have one pro or cons ?

#2 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 04:11 AM

I have a 835 for like 14 plus years, it's my turkey hunting only shotgun, with 3.5" shells it kicks like a mule. Also the factory turkey choke is good, but I', using a Indian Creek turkey choke with excellent patterns

#3 OFFLINE   stronski

stronski

• NJW&W Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 08:17 AM

I've had my Mossberg 835 for about 10 years now and it's my go-to shotgun for deer and turkey.

When you mention the 835, think utility not fashion.

Timex versus Rolex. Both tell time, but one looks a little better doing it.

My 835 has been through the swamps, briars, muck, snow and rain. Use it to paddle your canoe and jack up your truck.

The factory turkey choke is excellent to 40 yards. Mine shoots great with 3" Federal 4's and 5's.

It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a Benelli or the styling of a Guerini, but for putting food on the table it's an excellent gun.

#4 OFFLINE   Hewey

Hewey

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02/07/13 - 08:26 AM

I got a 835 ulti-mag from my Dad in '91 for a graduation present. I love the gun! It is my go to gun. I have two of them now. One with a rifled barrel for slugs and one for birdshot/buckshot. They both shoot very nice and I have never had an issue with them. 3.5" shells as BHC said, "kick like a mule!".

Also the factory turkey choke is good, but I', using a Indian Creek turkey choke with excellent patterns

I use the factory turkey choke, it is good out to 40 yards with #5 3.5" shells. Do you get any further distance with the Indian Creek choke? I want to get an after market choke for this upcoming turkey season, just not sure which one is worth spending the money on.

#5 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 11:07 AM

yes with the Indian Creek I did reach out further and the patten is tighter

#6 OFFLINE   Hewey

Hewey

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02/08/13 - 05:09 PM

yes with the Indian Creek I did reach out further and the patten is tighter

Thank you! I was torn between the Indian Creek and the Kick's Gobblin' Thunder choke last night online. Reviews were just about the same on both of them. I went with the Kick's. I like the look of their port design.

I had to pass on a couple of bird's at 50 yards last season. I knew it would be a crap shoot, so I didn't pull the trigger. I want to avoid that scenario this season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users