IGNORED

tied 2 stone fly patterns today experimenting

smoking gun

Those will catch fish during our little black stonefly (LBS) hatch later this winter!  That is one hatch where the cold water makes the trout not so finicky about patterns.  Most any dark brown or black, skinny tied nymph will do you justice once they are out hatching.

While I can't imagine this winter being quite as mild as the one we had about 4 years back, it could be one of those rare years where trout eat LBS on top in February and March.  I don't tie any dry fly patterns for this hatch as water temps are normally so cold that trout won't rise to the surface.  But that one fairly recent winter found us using black elk hair caddis dries and, when twitched, elicited smashing takes off the surface.  Not sure I'll see that again, but you never know.  

While I can't imagine this winter being quite as mild as the one we had about 4 years back, it could be one of those rare years where trout eat LBS on top in February and March.  I don't tie any dry fly patterns for this hatch as water temps are normally so cold that trout won't rise to the surface.  But that one fairly recent winter found us using black elk hair caddis dries and, when twitched, elicited smashing takes off the surface.  Not sure I'll see that again, but you never know.

size 22 zebra midges rs2 San jauns crush when the water is stained and little high wooly bugger in black.wd40s are good too ima tie this cool pattern with poly yarn just that it's gonna look like a cloud in the spring when bugs where rising they looked like little clouds this old man showed me this pattern he tied I believe his name is John he smokes a pipe

I'm looking in my fly boxes and doing the math and this winter I need to tie up 100 - dozen flies (1,200 total).  Very much not looking forward to tying that many flies, but my boxes are fairly empty and I like to tie my own for both guiding and personal fishing......dries, nymphs, streamers, wets.  The whole nine yards.   

i have 4 orders of 50 flies each ahead of me lol. my tying station looks like a bomb went off. and a guy i tie for has a friend who wants flies tied for a steel head trip in january. plus an order of slinky weights. on top of that, i am trying to find time to wrap my own fly rods and (make a spinning rod for my daughter). just got an order in today of blanks. my "fishing room" at my house is a mess to say the least. but i love every second of it! 

all the while, like others i am trying to fill my personal fly box. im looking forward to efingers annual fly tying sale this winter. i buy ALOT, but everyone gets 10% off and an additional 10% if you are a TU member. 

Edited by Kype

I can't say tying is a passion; it's something I got into so that I could always have the flies I needed for fresh and saltwater.  I do get satisfaction from tying and catching fish with my flies, but I don't feel excited to sit at the vise all night and tie.  Mostly, I tie the night before a trip (guide trip or personal fishing) so I have what I need because I seldom have time to tie or I don't plan ahead in that regard.  But so many of the highly effective patterns I use are not sold in stores and are quick and easy to tie.  "Guide flies" are where it's at for me, and they tie quick and catch tons of fish.  Once in a while, I will get creative and tie stuff like squid patterns for salt or intricate dry flies for trout.  But flies are the least important aspect of trout fishing anyway.  Presentation and placement of your fly(s) in the right water column are far more important than which fly you choose 90% of the time.  Show me what in nature looks like a Squirminator, a Mop-N-Glow, a Rainbow Warrior, or a Ham-And-Eggs, yet those patterns slay trout day in and day out!  It's all about placing the flies in their faces, regardless at which part of the water column they are feeding or loafing in.   

Edited by Bucksnbows
"your", not "you"