IGNORED

Last day Hail Mary--Clinton WMA

Hey everybody,

I was going to post this up on another forum, but thought since I'm new here I'd give this place a shot. I've bugged them enough.

This is my first year deer hunting. Got a z7 permit and hunting Clinton WMA. Next year I'm picking a new place. Lots of great land, but the bird guys hit it hard. Deer there seem spooky.

Anyway, I have two great spots. Lots of sign. But as the season has progressed it got hit hard, and as of last week's snow there's no new tracks. Sat today and I think it's spent.

So I was planning to quit for the season. But quitting is so hard. I can take the day tomorrow, but I hate to burn a work day to scout a new spot at the end of the season. Can you help even my odds? A storm is coming and they're moving to the corn fields at night. There's one field on the WMA that was planted with corn, but it's hit daily by the upland guys and their dogs. Didn't see any signs of activity there.

Its to late.. just grab your gun' date=' take a walk and hope you kick something up..:elch:

[/quote'] Hey fiveweight whatta ya say we go find axiom anbeatingdeadhorse :LOL my dead horse isn't working.L

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Nah. Not going to try kicking something up in a totally new spot (know your target and beyond, etc), and I'm pretty sure I know where the deer in my area are bedded up, and it's just outside of the WMA.

Hey fiveweight whatta ya say we go find axiom anbeatingdeadhorse :LOL my dead horse isn't working.L

and I'm pretty sure I know where the deer in my area are bedded up, and it's just outside of the WMA. So you found out A feild was planted? This bed near the farmers?Can you do 125yds from him and the beds?

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

I agree with Rutting Buck.

This late in the year, if you aren't on the deer, burning days off from work to hope you shoot something may not be the best thing to do. Everything on public land has been pressured more than Rosie Odonells mattress.

If you do go, I'd do as Axiom said and simply walk around. Maybe you get lucky, but at the very least you're scouting for next year to see where the deer go after all the pressure. But you can always do that on days off from work after the season ends too.

If you think you can get on them, give it a shot, might feel good just to get out one last day, trying to get it out of your system.:)

Regardless of what you decide, if you do go, Good luck! .:thumb_up:

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Great point guys. Take the gun for a walk. Little scouting. Maybe you get lucky and get a shot

"I am the MacGyver of cooking. If you bring me a piece of bread, cabbage, coconut, mustard greens, pigs feet, pine cones...and a woodpecker, I'll make you a good chicken pot pie." — Si Robertson

Bob--I think the deer are bedded up within a safety zone and are walking away from the WMA to feed on the neighborhood plants. I've talked to the guy who owns the yard next to the WMA with all the brush (doesn't like hunters) and the neighbors who have seen the deer eating their plants. There's no "in between" huntable area.

MikeP--yeah, that's basically what I'm asking. If there's a better late season spot now that the WMA has been bird hunted for 5 months. But like I said, Hail Mary. Think I'm going to work tomorrow.

My mistake, I thought you were asking if it was wise to hit that spot again.

Don't know anything in DMZ7, but good luck. Someone might be able to help.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Five, see if you can get out early and maybe catch them moving from one spot to the next. The weather may get them moving, but if the piece has been hammered like you say, it may already be too late. Having said that, however, there is always a chance. Besides, gobbler season is fast approaching and you'll be back out in the woods before you know it.

I'd go out Saturday PM for the true last day. If its snowing Friday into sat, there's a good chance deer will be bedded, and may get on the move after it clears up to eat. I'd set up on a travel route leading to that corn field. I'm planning to be out Sat in 7 if all goes as planned

Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness