• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

South Jersey gives up a good one

24 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   DV1

DV1

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 08:46 AM

I found this on facebook, was killed this week with a crossbow. Not sure what zone. I don't know the guy personally but I do know who he is and he has killed a few good ones, and has a killer spot in zone 47 where he killed a monster a few years back, 150 gross, 200+ lbs. It takes a special set of conditions for a deer to grow that big, or as big as this one, and the places you find those conditions are rare.

12371042_1234702803211690_59358813529504

Edited by DV1, 12/12/15 - 04:23 PM.

• Like x 8
  • List
I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

#2 OFFLINE   jakesbeard

jakesbeard

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 08:53 AM

Wow!

#3 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,430 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 09:21 AM

Great deer.  Nice that it was taken with the bow.  :up:

#4 Male OFFLINE   DV1

DV1

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 09:41 AM

Great deer.  Nice that it was taken with the bow.  :up:

Like I said, I don't know the guy but I DO know that bucks like that don't exist much around here, and if they do, they are in, or surrounded by some serious sanctuary...like maybe not able to gun hunt sanctuary...like maybe small, bow-only huntable places. Only speculation as I do not know where this deer was killed but I'm thinking along those lines.

• Like x 1
  • List
I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

#5 Male OFFLINE   PV216

PV216

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 09:54 AM

Incredible buck. Congrats to the hunter. Here's another pic. I do not know anything about the deer. Just saw it on a Facebook page for jersey deer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449845656.286997.jpg

Edited by BowhunterNJ, 12/11/15 - 12:33 PM.

• Like x 3
  • List
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#6 Male OFFLINE   JHbowhunter

JHbowhunter

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 10:04 AM

The recipe for bucks like that is not all that complicated. Nutrition, Genetics and Age.  The only thing we can control 100% is age (meaning "we collectively" not individually).  We can enhance nutrition to some extent, but deer are browsers by nature. Minerals certainly help, high protein food plots, etc - but no substitute for good natural browse sources and good mast crop. Genetics - tough one , some areas just aren't going to produce P&Y caliber bucks as well as others...   Now getting back to the age factor - I will say that the "average" NJ 3.5 year old buck is going to start flirting with P&Y, 125", but most will be between 110-120" by that age.  Age 4- if a buck is not 125" or better, he really is genetically or nutritionally challenged. Age 4 bucks are increasingly rare, except in areas with little to no hunting pressure. A 4 year old could be 120 to 160 depending on all those other factors, but more likely 125-135".  Now - a buck like this one posted, they don't usually start growing all that excessive junk until age 5 or more...  I would guess that buck is 5.5 or 6.5 years old. ...  Collectively - we can control it, but we all know that is so unrealistic its barely worth discussing. In zone 5, the last P&Y buck I have a picture of or seen from stand was 11/18/2011, and he's on my wall. Probably a 4.5 year old.    For those that "care" about shooting a mature buck, the only way to increase age on average, is to reduce the harvest of button, 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks.  Not enough hunters in this state will ever voluntarily commit to that, and the state has other goals as we all know... So - when a NJ hunter harvests a buck of this caliber such as the one posted - you just can't overrstate the rarity of it, and how truly special it really is.   My hope is that when those less experienced see pics like this and desire the same, they will understand what it takes to make such an amazing trophy. Simply put - older bucks only get that way because someone exercised "restraint".  There is no way a 6.5 year old buck in NJ made it that far without either being shot at and missed(or hit), or being passed up by someone when he was younger and perhaps both, multiple times.   I realize to some of you, this is all BS and you can't eat the horns - so please accept my apologies in advance,  for offending you.

Edited by JHbowhunter, 12/11/15 - 12:56 PM.

• Agree x 1
  • List

#7 Male OFFLINE   mikejd

mikejd

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 10:21 AM

Beautiful buck.

Jack. Did you ever have tripod aged.

#8 Male OFFLINE   DV1

DV1

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 10:23 AM

I'm not sure what the total club numbers will be after tomorrow but I can say I'm seeing a lot of pics of "nice" 110"-125 ", 2 and 3 yr old bucks being killed this week, which is why it's so tough to get bucks like this one.

Through yesterday, some clubs were at last years totals, some above, some below. A friend of mine is the woodsmaster for one of the larger clubs. His group is way down but their close competitors, the other large clubs near them, are about where they finished last year. So I'm guessing the shotgun total will come in close to where it was last year. Anyone hoping it would be so bad things would have to change may be disappointed, doesn't look like that's going to be the case from what I'm seeing. 

#9 Male OFFLINE   JHbowhunter

JHbowhunter

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 10:23 AM

Beautiful buck.

Jack. Did you ever have tripod aged.

Yes - pending results for deerage.com

#10 OFFLINE   Cousin Brown

Cousin Brown

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 10:25 AM

Great buck!

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers:

#11 OFFLINE   _X7

_X7

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 11:40 AM

Hellofabuck! Congrats to the hunter.

They can survive  by going undetected and in areas where guns are restricted by either landowner rule or in the suburbs. .

#12 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,062 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 12:33 PM

Wow that is a monster! Congrats to the hunter! :eek: :up:

#13 Male OFFLINE   MyReezening

MyReezening

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 12:54 PM

Great Deer, Congratulations on your success and perseverence!

Good Job,

Jack Spoto

UBNJ

#14 Male OFFLINE   maximus66

maximus66

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 06:19 PM

Don't know if you have the info but when you say "his spot" do you have any idea how many acres it might be?

I've hunted with many a dog but never found one that would do it all until i met... The Boykin

#15 Male OFFLINE   MZW

MZW

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 06:29 PM

Wow.just wow!
Congratulations to the hunter.he deserves it.

#16 Male OFFLINE   NorthNJHunter

NorthNJHunter

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 06:43 PM

Great buck. Better yet with a bow during 6 day! Congrats to him!

#17 Male OFFLINE   NURSEhunter

NURSEhunter

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 09:17 PM

thats an awesome kill, I'm sure a lot of handwork went into that , he should be proud!

#18 Male OFFLINE   Ravenrock_bowbender

Ravenrock_bowbender

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 09:38 PM

Franklinville clayton area

#19 OFFLINE   ub1243

ub1243

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 09:41 PM

i was just told Vineland, tonight.

• Like x 1
  • List

United Bowhunters of New Jersey

New Jersey Fur Harvester
New Jersey Trappers Association
National Trappers Association

#20 Male ONLINE   smoking gun

smoking gun

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 12/11/15 - 09:42 PM

There's alot of nice farms down in Gloucester salem and Cumberland County the southern part of the state.tough luck getting onto pieces alot of places are leased or grandfathered in.im trying to remember where this campground is I went down for a ride one summer and seen 7 bucks well over 140 in some field

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users