IGNORED

Predator regulations question

Haskell_Hunter

It says in the Digest that:

"A modern rifle magazine need not be pinned (plugged), but may be loaded with no more than three cartridges."

Does this mean I can have one round chambered and three in the magazine?  I know for shotgun that it's one in the chamber and two in the magazine, and wanted to make sure that it wasn't the same for predator (coyote/fox permit season).

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Not so sure.  The line talks about the magazine and then says it may not be loaded with more than three cartridges.  To me that line only talks about the magazine, not the firearm.  If it applied to the firearm I would have thought it would be worded like:

"A modern rifle magazine need not be pinned (plugged), but the rifle may be loaded with no more than three cartridges."

So, IMHO, it only applies to the magazine.  But, I want to see if there's a consensus around this.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

The 3-round limit means either:

1) one in the chamber, two in the magazine or...

2) chamber empty, three in the magazine.

That's why they say "no more than" three in the magazine. If one is in the chamber, has to be only two in the magazine.

If you have one chambered and three in the magazine, you have four rounds in your gun and that would be considered illegal.

Yeah, using the word "magazine" there kinda makes it confusing. But read the actual law and its clear. This particular law is in the admin code:

N.J.A.C.
TITLE 7. ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION  
CHAPTER 25. DIVISION OF FISH AND WILDLIFE RULES  
SUBCHAPTER 5. 2015-2016 GAME CODE

7:25-5.23 Firearms and missiles, etc.

c) Except as may be permitted for waterfowl hunting in accordance with Federal regulations and as provided for agents and/or permittees operating under an approved Special Deer Management Permit (N.J.A.C. 7:25-5.32), no person shall use in hunting fowl or animals of any kind, any shotgun capable of holding more than three shells at one time or that may be fired more than three times without reloading. Except as provided for agents and/or permittees operating under an approved Special Deer Management Permit (N.J.A.C. 7:25-5.32), no person shall use in hunting or trapping of any kind, a rifle loaded with more than three cartridges. No person shall have in his or her possession while deer hunting on Monmouth Battlefield State Park any shell or cartridge with missiles of any kind other than shotgun slugs or No. 4 or No. 000 buckshot.

There it is clear - a "rifle" loaded with more than three cartridges.

Edited by mazzgolf