IGNORED

Best Shells For Bear ?

Ms Grit

81mm mortar, just drop it in the general area, they work great :happywave:

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

When I first got my H&R Ultra Deluxe in 20 GA I used the Hornady SST and the accuracy was excellent and I took two bucks that year one in Illinois and NJ....Ironically both shot at 80 yards both in the neck. Then a few years ago I tried the Accutips they are more accurate out of my guns both my 12 & 20 gauges

I have personally never killed a bear. I would say that higher velocity slugs probably leave less of a hole and bears have thick absorbent hides. I would go with a foster style slug like a Remington buck hammer or a winchester super x. While these slugs won't shoot as accurately they will give you knock down power and gaping holes to drain the bear of blood. I could be wrong but this makes more sense to me than a saboted high velocity slug which will blow right through the animal at 70 yards leaving no blood

Using a lead sled the gun does not recoil like it would against your shoulder.  That lack of recoil causes a shift in point of impact from where it would shoot from your shoulder.  Shotgun slugs are relatively slow moving projectiles so movement of the gun during recoil affects POI due to the slug not exiting the muzzle before the gun starts to recoil.  The only thing I would recommend a lead sled for is testing different slugs for groups and trying to save your shoulder.  Sighting in a gun to hunt with should always be done from your shoulder so your POI will be the same when in the field.  The lead sled also adds a lot of stress to scopes and mounts when shooting since the gun doesn't recoil normally.

Any of the slugs you mentioned would work well on bear.  I like the copper solids since I have seen the best accuracy from them in a couple of my guns.  They are a lower velocity round but a bigger diameter projectile and a bit heavier than the others you were considering.  For a bear at close range I think any of them would work, so I would go with which ever shoots the best for you.

Any of the slugs you mentioned would work well on bear.  I like the copper solids since I have seen the best accuracy from them in a couple of my guns.  They are a lower velocity round but a bigger diameter projectile and a bit heavier than the others you were considering.  For a bear at close range I think any of them would work, so I would go with which ever shoots the best for you.

Well, against advice from some, I went and shot the copper solids for the first time today and shots 1 and 2 were touching each other and shot 1 was touching the small orange circle.  I shot exactly as I will be shootig when hunting next week.  Sat on a small stool with a tri(changed that again)pod gun rest.  Then I started playing with the sight.  Not exactly sighted in where I want it yet, but I went and bought 4 boxes of the copper solids afterwards, so Copper Solids it's gonna be :)

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

Just get the MAPAM in 60mm.  This way you can carry two rounds in case Ms. Grit needs a follow up shot!

Na I am old school 81mm or 42. In a perfect world a Davy Crockett would be even better.

Edited by bushden

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

Na I am old school 81mm or 42. In a perfect world a Davy Crockett would be even better.

In a perfect world, all of the anti's would live in California, and then the big one would hit breaking California apart from the US :)

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member