IGNORED

Best Shells For Bear ?

Ms Grit

So, I am going to be shooting my Remington 1100 for bear.

Off the led sled, the Hornady SST's shot dead on, while the Remington AccuTips were slightly off ...BUT

When I shot and practiced with both, using a shooting stick I was 2-3 inches off dead center with the Remington AccuTips, better than with the Hornady's ...BUT

Given the recent events at my bear hunting location, I am looking to do as much damage as quickly as possible with either breaking him down at the shoulder so I can quickly get in a second shot or taking a head shot so that he doesn't get a chance to run very far ...BUT

I was just introducted to Remington Premier CepperSolids last night.  Should I get myself out and try them in my gun or go with the AccuTips?

I am going to be set up on the ground 30-40 yards away from the bait.

Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas?

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

I am a fan of copper solids.  They are expensive but they are devastating.  One hit in the vitals zone and that'll slow him down quickly.  Those shells do kick like a mule, though, so if you think you're going to get a second shot off, practice the second shot.  Fire the first and see how long it take you to get the target back in sight and fire.  It's a technique I practice with pistols as there usually will be follow up shots with that kind of weapon.

So I would balance your accuracy with the first shot with your ability to sight in a fire the second shot.  In cases like these you want reduced recoil so it takes less time to get the target back in sight.

But if you think you can land the first shot home and not need a second shot, then get a round that is accurate and does a tremendous amount of trauma.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Bears actually die easily and quickly when hit in the vitals, so most any modern slug will do a great job.  I shot a bear with a Hornady SST in 12 gauge and had no issues.  A slug is a big round even before it mushrooms.  I say shoot the one you have most confidence in and don't try to switch this close to the season.  Those rounds you have been shooting are money, and remember that a bear's vitals are the size of a good 12" circle and likely larger.  Aim smack for the middle of that circle, take a solid hold, and s-q-u-e-e-z-e off that trigger slowly and the worse you'll pull it is 2" or 3" in any direction which is still very much in the kill zone.  

Now add the fact that you're only going to be under 40 yards from your bear and the fact that your bear's vitals are the size of a VW Bug, and you'll do just fine. :)

I am curious to see what others say, right now I am going with accu tips. I can tell you the first year I bear hunted I shot one at 25 yds in the front shoulder and it didn't even phase him, didn't even have a chance for a second shot he was so quick. I hear their skulls are real thick also. fyi I am no bear expert just my experience I had

Bears actually die easily and quickly when hit in the vitals, so most any modern slug will do a great job.  I shot a bear with a Hornady SST in 12 gauge and had no issues.  A slug is a big round even before it mushrooms.  I say shoot the one you have most confidence in and don't try to switch this close to the season.  Those rounds you have been shooting are money, and remember that a bear's vitals are the size of a good 12" circle and likely larger.  Aim smack for the middle of that circle, take a solid hold, and s-q-u-e-e-z-e off that trigger slowly and the worse you'll pull it is 2" or 3" in any direction which is still very much in the kill zone.  

Now add the fact that you're only going to be under 40 yards from your bear and the fact that your bear's vitals are the size of a VW Bug, and you'll do just fine. :)

I can't afford to give him a chance to run very far.  Matt and I found posted signs when we went in to bait today.  I don't think they are correct, but at this stage in the game, what am I to do?

NRA Life Member

UBNJ Member

the one to use's is the one that shoots best for you ...as long as you you get a good shoulder hit its game over

I haven't shot the copper solids yet, but if alot of people think they will do the most damage, then I'll shoot some of them on Tuesday and see how I feel about them.  Price is not an issue at this point.

NRA Life Member

UBNJ Member

Onx maps app. Use it all the time

You wanna send me your user name and password? lol

NRA Life Member

UBNJ Member

Lightfields..haven't had a bear go more than 20 yds

And where did you hit it?

NRA Life Member

UBNJ Member

I don't think any bear will go far with a well placed arrow slug or round in the heart or lungs you should be ok ms grit if the birds nest guy and the destro dude don't like it that's just tough it's a managed hunt you are licensed and legal.i really hope you score I'll be in somerset county you got my number if you need help I'll be available and I have someone else who can assist as well

I think their all gonna react differently.  When my Son shot his a few years back, it ran about 70 yards.  But he was a youth and not quick with a follow-up.  And his was a 130-pound (dressed board).  The 350 pounder I shot started to run at the first hit and my buddy was yelling not to shoot it again as he could see it was a good shot, but I was in the zone and hit it two more times - it dropped in sight.  The 260 pounder I shot went about 40 yards.  He shot his with 20g lightfields.  I shot mine with 12g lightfields.  Their all gonna react differently.  IF it does not drop at the first shot, keep wailing it................