IGNORED

tough day fishing but managed several in my own flies

smoking gun

she did and she was revived after a epic battle she lives to bend another rod again

I often hesitate to weigh in on these discussions, but sometimes education is best.  Whenever we intend to release a fish of any species, we should never place our fingers in the gills.  It takes time, but those fish will die nearly 100% of the time.  Often days later, but they will die for certain.  If we're reducing them to the creel, then obviously no big deal.  But you mentioned that you were releasing them, so that brings on the comments from those of us in the peanut gallery.  Best to wet your hands, handle them as little as possible, and then release them back to the river/stream/ocean/pond/lake they came from.  The thing with catch and release (C&R) is that many bad fish handling techniques won't cause death for hours or even days, so anglers see that fish swim away just fine and assume they lived.  

Just so you don't think I'm just an internet windbag, I've actually read scientific papers on fishing mortality using a variety of controls to determine best practices.  I am a bit of a fly fishing geek after all.   :nerd:  :flyfish:      

I often hesitate to weigh in on these discussions, but sometimes education is best.  Whenever we intend to release a fish of any species, we should never place our fingers in the gills.  It takes time, but those fish will die nearly 100% of the time.  

This is how people learn.   :up:

And I can vouch for Brian, he knows his stuff when it comes to trout.  He makes the occasional guest appearance in my ecology class.  

Just so you don't think I'm just an internet windbag, I've actually read scientific papers on fishing mortality using a variety of controls to determine best practices.  I am a bit of a fly fishing geek after all.   :nerd:  :flyfish:      

I can confirm, while Brian IS indeed an internet windbag, he isn't JUST an internet windbag! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: