IGNORED

Boar hunt tomorrow

Heading out to the island tomorrow to do a little boar hunting. Now I know many people say it's not a hunt, it's just a stalk and kill, but I'm still excited like a kid on Christmas. On the way there I'm gonna stop at Cabelas. Anyone do this hunt before? What can I expect?

Yes, I've done it before and it was a lot of fun. If you're going to Mohr's I wouldn't characterize them as Boars, though, really they're just pigs.

You can expect to get some exercise as you track them down on the island and you can expect a good amount of meat, once you get your animal back from the local butcher. BTW, the butcher where the pigs are delivered after the hunt does a terrific job with the meat, though it can add $100+ to the cost of your outing.

If you had the desire, you could also get a mount of whatever you shoot on the island. The taxi work is done by the owner's son in law, Tony. He does nice work, is reasonable priced, and it will take you a year to get it back.

Last thing I'd caution is to be careful while hunting. The pigs tend to travel in a pack and when the shooting starts it can be a bit like the Wild West if you don't make a very conscious effort to think SAFETY because there is not a lot of regimentation out there. Have fun and be safe!!!

Excellence, in anything, never occurs by chance

Achieving perfection is impossible. Striving for perfection makes greatness achievable

Be glad they aren't Russian Boars as they taste like an old boot lol. I heard they put grain out on the island for them to eat. Thats why they taste good.

Wish I was going. I always wanted to do that hunt. Have fun and be safe AND good luck.

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

I went to Mohr's Island last March. It was a good time! I am going back out the first week of April. I brought my slug gun last time, it got the job done quick! One 2 3/4" Copper Solid slug from 20 yards dropped the pig in its tracks and it never moved again. When I go out this year I am going to use my bow. All the pig they put on the Island are good sized. You will get alot of pork. Some of the finest eating pork I have ever had!

Good luck! You will have a very good time!

Some pigs from the Island last March.

My friend Russ and his pig.

756_zps93356742.jpg

My pig from last March.

759_zps884e56d0.jpg