IGNORED

Tried some new bows...Wow factor achieved.

DV1

A little background first. I love shooting bows. Practice is not a chore, it's something I love to do. I've been shooting all kinds of bows for 40+ years. I am not brand specific and I've never felt compelled to do one of these reviews before. I will stay with a bow until I find another one that really makes me go WOW, gotta have it. 

I also have bad shoulders. I've had 2 surgeries on my right shoulder, need a surgery on my left to repair a torn labrum and rotator cuff. The last surgery on my right shoulder went horribly wrong: repair came undone, nerve damage, bone wear, etc and I never regained full use of my right arm. I can use it for most things but just about anything over my head, or above shoulder height is tough. Seen 3 surgeons, all told me my days of doing many things; throwing overhand, tennis, golf, kayaking, and yes, shooting a bow, among others, were OVER. 

Well, I can still shoot some but a few dozen arrows every other day is about it. I'm still working on it and hope by next spring, I can improve on that too, assuming my next surgery doesn't completely put me out of commission.

So, being the hopeful sort that I am, I want to start looking at my present to myself for getting over my third surgery. I've been looking for a new bow in the 30-31 ATA range. My SBXT is still my go to bow. I've shot many, many others but none had that WOW factor that made me want to buy new. I've bought plenty of year old ones; Bowtec, Martin, Hoyt, Mathews and Bear but got rid of them all and stayed with the Switchback. Today I went and tried a few more; the Halon 6, Hoyt Defiant and Prime Ion, all at 28" DL, set on 60#. Here is what I found.

Tried the Ion first. I honestly had trouble getting it back. I could have drawn it, probably, but it also would have hurt me. So, that was out of the running.

Defiant was next. A bit tough to draw but I could draw it back. As soon as it fell into the valley and I brought it to my anchor, it tried to jump forward on me. I reset and settled in. It held nice, not a bad shooter. 

Next was the Halon. The easiest of the 3 to draw. Very smooth, had no problem drawing and shooting it several times. It held rock solid, steady, solid back wall and was very quiet and dead in the hand on the shot. No jump or creep at full draw like the Hoyt.

Letting down without shooting is tricky for people with bad shoulders, the Hoyt was the easiest to do that with because it wasn't as solid and had some creep anyway. The Halon was more solid, and goes all at once, but wasn't bad after it breaks back over. 

I know some people have complained it's too heavy but I really didn't think so and really didn't notice a big difference in the 3 bows. Sure it was a bit beefier but that makes it more solid to hold and at the shot, from what I experienced. 

In my opinion, the Halon stands head and shoulders above the other two and not only had that wow factor that will make me buy my first "new" bow in almost 10 years, but it's the best bow, from any manufacturer that I have shot to date.

Different strokes for different folks but go shoot it before you dismiss it, just because it's a Mathews.

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

You should say it stands head and shoulders above the other two if your looking for a mellow bow because you have a shoulder injury.its the right bow for you.your review makes it seem like the prime and hoyt are lesser bows because you can't draw them when in fact they are awesome bows.just not your cup of tea.to each his own to be honest I love the hoyt and the prime but I wouldn't even bother shooting the Matthews because that's not what I'm looking for.glad you found a bow you love.buy it! Hahaha.

Nice write up thanks for sharing......I've been shooting Mathews since 1996, before that it was Hoyt.......Try the Obsession line of bows I really want the Delta 6 unless I find something I like better, I like a bow to be 30" or less axel to axel

Edited by BHC

You should say it stands head and shoulders above the other two if your looking for a mellow bow because you have a shoulder injury.its the right bow for you.your review makes it seem like the prime and hoyt are lesser bows because you can't draw them when in fact they are awesome bows.just not your cup of tea.to each his own to be honest I love the hoyt and the prime but I wouldn't even bother shooting the Matthews because that's not what I'm looking for.glad you found a bow you love.buy it! Hahaha.

Correct, after all it was my review.  :happywave:

The Prime was the only one I didn't draw, could have but it was too harsh from the get-go so I knew I didn't want it. As for the Hoyt being a lesser bow, depends on what you want. The Hoyt isn't as smooth on the draw, doesn't have as solid of a backwall, isn't as dead in your hand at the shot, nor as quiet as the Halon, but it's lighter and might be faster, so you have that, and the Hoyt is a sleek looking bow, the Mathews is kind of bulky looking. Might be some other pluses too. 

But as for being mellow, not sure about that. The speeds on the bow are excellent. The Halon 5 has an IBO rating of 353, the 6, which I shot, has a rating of 345 and the 7 inch brace height bow has an IBO of 335. Not really mellow, just a smoother drawing bow than the others. I'm sure there are people that like harsher draw cycles, and you're right, this bow isn't for them. It is quieter, more dead in your hand, has a more solid backwall and holds on target more solidly than any other bow I have tried, and there have been a lot of them. Maybe that changes when you get up to 70#, don't know.  

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

thanks DV1

i am thinking of upgrading.

been seeing a lot of reviews of the 2016 bows coming out. the problem is, the guys i am friends with, have sponsors. so i take it for what it's worth. 

i will pick up some bows in the spring. i want to shoot a few.

United Bowhunters of New Jersey

New Jersey Fur Harvester
New Jersey Trappers Association
National Trappers Association

Did you shoot the spyder

I did not shoot the Spyder. Every time someone tells me this Hoyt is the smoothest bow yet, I go shoot it, and it's still not as smooth as a few of the Mathews bows I've owned. The smoothest Hoyt has yet to be as good as a comparable Mathews, to me.

I don't think I've ever shot an Elite. Might have to try one. I have until spring before I'm going to be buying but right now, going to be hard to beat that Halon 6.

DV1 -- Have you ever had the chance to fondle the No Cam?  

I'm just curious as to your thoughts if you have -- I have no experience with a modern compound bow so I have no opinion

My current bow is 20+ years old and I'm really thinking about an upgrade myself

Edited by Heavyopp

great review.  i have bone spurs in my left shoulder and gave up shooting bows.  i now shoot a ten point stealth xbow.  i would love to try bows again but i'm thinking about surgery in the spring first.  my left shoulder is so bad i can barely put a shirt on without pain. 

great review.  i have bone spurs in my left shoulder and gave up shooting bows.  i now shoot a ten point stealth xbow.  i would love to try bows again but i'm thinking about surgery in the spring first.  my left shoulder is so bad i can barely put a shirt on without pain. 

You should get those spurs taken care of soon, as long as your doctor agrees. Bone spurs are about the least worrisome surgery. I know several people who have had the surgery and are back to normal activity in 4 to 6 weeks. My brother has had them done twice and was back to shooting his bow on 70# in 6 or 7 weeks both times.

The risk with waiting is that as the spurs work on the tendons and muscles, you could end up with a rotator cuff tear, which is a much more involved surgery and rehab. There is no reason for you to put up with the pain and restriction, get them taken care of, you'll be happy you did.