• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Hunting clubs

25 replies to this topic

#21 Male OFFLINE   RDPhunter

RDPhunter

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05/28/14 - 12:23 PM

I'm the president of the Oak Ridge Sportsmen's Association, a group of great guys who deer hunt in zones 12, 14 and 36. We kill allot of deer and everyone is on the same page...good stuff!

Are you accepting new members?  I live in Flemington and would like to join a club nearby.

Thanks.

#22 Male OFFLINE   RDPhunter

RDPhunter

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05/28/14 - 12:30 PM

I'm the Treasurer of the Somerset County Fish and Game Protective Association in Bridgewater. We're more of a shooting club than a pure hunting club but a large number of our membership are avid hunters.

We have an indoor handgun range, an underground big bore range and a lighted outdoor archery range. We've been around for 96 years and have about 900 members.

A number of other active members of this site are also officers of the SCFGPA

How can I join?

#23 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 05/28/14 - 02:36 PM

Sparta Mountain Rod & Gun Club in Sparta which is Sussex County.  We're a "friends club" of 7 guys who have around 120 acres up against the Sparta Mountain WMA (4,000+ acres).  Everyone in our club is a good friend of mine or a close childhood friend of both mine and the land owner.  We have a 13 acre pond with 3 houses on the property and the rest is woods that we do habitat work in.  We don't take in new members and there are no dues except to pitch in for work details.  We plant trees, remove invasive plants, and maintain a gun range.  So long as my buddy stays in this home, we have a place for life.  If he ever moves for any reason, I'll have put in tons of sweat and tears to create decent habitat for game and non-game alike for someone else to enjoy, I guess.  We just have to contend with the usual trespassers coming on from state land who like to tear down our No Trespassing signs as if that somehow makes everything OK to trespass.  It's tough, mountain hunting (for NJ, that is).  Most of our deer like to head down the hill to safety and don't stay up during winter when conditions are relatively harsh.  We also have the benefit of the big WMA adjacent to us if we want to wander.     

• Like x 1
  • List

#24 Male OFFLINE   rossbowhunter

rossbowhunter

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 05/29/14 - 08:14 AM

I used to be in clubs in NJ, both in South Jersey (green bank, rt. 563) and in north jersey( hacketstown) But with property being bought and sold and clubs disbanding, I bought my own property in Hunterdon county, and my little piece of heaven (talking with neighbors and doing favors) has turned into a bigger piece of heaven.

I do still belong to a club in West Virginia, where my family is tri-owners with a cabin and about 15 acres. We are deeded into a bigger clubs property 5 minutes up the road with about 3200 acres, very vast mountanous property, which during hunting season I have rarely come across another hunter.

Paul M. Ross

Coldwell Banker Sales Associate

908-943-8842

#25 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 05/29/14 - 11:17 AM

I've never been in a traditional club that takes in members and has a dues system per say.  I'm also a member of Camp Yellow Snow in Potter County, PA.  That camp formed from two best friends that grew up together in Wayne, NJ and bought 185 acres up there back in 1970 and invited their hunting buddies to come each year.  As soon as we kids were old enough, we started to hunt up there with our dads, many of whom have passed away by now.  These days we take our own kids up.  The expenses of taxes and electricity are split among those that attend deer camp and are typically less than $80 each.  We do habitat work as needed and build a new outhouse once every 20 or so years.  I prefer these kinds of arrangements over the more traditional hunting clubs that always seem to have a lot of politics that come with membership.  We're just a bunch of friends with a property that is being passed down from father to son or father to daughter.    

• Like x 1
  • List

#26 Male OFFLINE   redsquirrel

redsquirrel

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 05/29/14 - 08:38 PM

I've never been in a traditional club that takes in members and has a dues system per say.  I'm also a member of Camp Yellow Snow in Potter County, PA.  That camp formed from two best friends that grew up together in Wayne, NJ and bought 185 acres up there back in 1970 and invited their hunting buddies to come each year.  As soon as we kids were old enough, we started to hunt up there with our dads, many of whom have passed away by now.  These days we take our own kids up.  The expenses of taxes and electricity are split among those that attend deer camp and are typically less than $80 each.  We do habitat work as needed and build a new outhouse once every 20 or so years.  I prefer these kinds of arrangements over the more traditional hunting clubs that always seem to have a lot of politics that come with membership.  We're just a bunch of friends with a property that is being passed down from father to son or father to daughter.    

It sounds like you guys have something very special in both your "camps".  I am not a member of any club or camp but what you have is definitely the type of thing I would be looking for!  I have similar relationships with friends and family but we have always just hunted public land!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users