• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

2016 Ohio/Kentucky DIY Hunt

5 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   not on the rug

not on the rug

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 11/11/15 - 11:14 AM

My wife has family around Cincinnati and near Lexington KY, and was interested in visiting them next fall. I believe this to be a perfect opportunity for me and a good friend of mine to put together a DIY hunt in that general vicinity. Has anyone ever hunted that area of Ohio/Kentucky? Anything I need to do? Anything I need to avoid? Any tips in particular that you can give me as I've never put together an out of state DIY hunt before? Thanks

"that helpful a**hole"

#2 Male OFFLINE   Jerseybassnbow

Jerseybassnbow

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 11/11/15 - 03:40 PM

Been to Muskingum County. Brutes out there.....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Any Man Who Thinks He Can Be Happy and Prosperous By Letting the Government Take Care of Him Better Take A Closer Look at The American Indian! - Henry Ford

MOLON LABE

#3 Male ONLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11/12/15 - 08:49 AM

I've done diy in se Ohio. I prepared by doing a ton of map scouting well ahead of the trip. Look at topos and aerials where you'll be hunting and mark as many places as you can to check out. Most won't be worth hunting. Give yourself 2-3 extra days in the trip to go scout all the spots you marked when you get there. Just fast power scouts for sign and to see in person the terrain. Once you narrow down on a couple spots spend that day or the next hanging stands and start hunting. Alternately if you want to just hunt on the fly you can just roll in with your gear and spot hop the marks on your map. Generally diy hunts take more time due to the need to learn the piece especially the first year. I'd set aside 7-10 days if you can but if 5 is all you have you can make that work too.

#4 Male OFFLINE   not on the rug

not on the rug

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 11/12/15 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the advice.  This will probably be about a 4-5 day visit and I'll be doing all of the planning online, checking maps, etc.  I'll be hunting on the fly, and using a climbing stand.  Pretty much just winging it, so the topo maps and google maps will be my two best friends.  I'm going to talk to all of the wife's family members and see if they have any family/friends in the areas who hunt.  Hopefully somebody does and they can sort of steer me in the right direction

"that helpful a**hole"

#5 Male ONLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11/12/15 - 09:36 AM

If you want another set of eyes looking at the maps let me know. I enjoy that part of scouting.

#6 Male OFFLINE   not on the rug

not on the rug

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 11/12/15 - 10:14 AM

If you want another set of eyes looking at the maps let me know. I enjoy that part of scouting.

Great offer.  Thank You.  I'll definitely keep you in mind if/when this trip actually happens

"that helpful a**hole"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users