• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Agenda...August Antelope (pic heavy)

20 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   Bacs

Bacs

Jerzey Rednekz

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01/27/13 - 07:34 PM

Posted Image

As the sun began its slow climb into the morning sky, it found me sitting in an antelope blind in the "Cowboy" state. This is the second time I've been to Wyoming hunting antelope at the Werner Ranch, the first time was back in 2009.

Just twenty-four hours earlier, my Father and I had landed at Denver International Airport where we were soon joined by friends Sam Yarosh III and John Hoinowski. We quickly and unceremoniously piled our gear into the rented Ford Expedition and started our three and a half hour journey towards Douglas and a date with August Antelopes with JJ and Connie Werner at the famed Werner Ranch.

We arrived at the ranch right about 3pm after making a few pit-stops along the way. After speaking briefly with JJ we headed inside to see Connie and start unpacking our gear. After getting settled in, we all headed out back to shoot the bows and make sure that they were still on; and they were.

After a quick dinner of burgers and baked beans, JJ and Mark, Mark is JJ and Connie's Brother-In-Law, took us all out for a tour of the ranch and to see some of the blinds that we would be hunting. Afterwards when we got back to the ranch house we drew cards to see who would hunt what blind.

I drew the "Hall Windmill" blind; and that's we're the sun found me that first morning. The weather report called for Hot with a chance of Hotter; and it was sure on the mark. Hot is good for waterhole antelope hunting. By 8am I had my first buck into water, he was a good one and I watched as he calmly drank then turned broadside and slowly meandered off. I took lots of pictures of him and every other antelope doe, fawn, and buck that came into the waterhole that day; even one buck that my brain said "you should have shot him" as he walked away. All-in-all that day the temp hit 98 and I had better than 100 antelope in to water.

When Mark came and picked me up at 8pm he told me that Sam had scored on a nice buck earlier that morning. When we got back to the ranch house we were met by an elated Sam and we all shared in the joy of his success and enjoyed looking at his harvest pictures. After dinner I transferred the pictures I'd taken to the iPad to get a better look at them. I had pictures of some good bucks, and one that I told myself if he came back into the water tomorrow; he wouldn't be leaving. He had good horn length, decent mass and good cutters.

The next morning I was back at the windmill blind waiting for the parade of antelope to begin. The morning was overcast and much cooler, and the action was slower than the day before. Slowly but surely, as the day started to heat up, the antelope began to get with the program and come into water. The first antelope in to water that morning was a decent buck that came in right about 8:30am. I hadn't seen him the day before, I could tell because he'd been shot and had dried blood all over his coat. I later found out when I showed JJ the picture that the buck had been shot on the first day the week before and that after two days of searching they weren't able to find him. Well, all could see that he was alive and well, and he was spotted the next day at another waterhole.

As the morning warmed up I had a steady stream of does, fawns, and smaller bucks into water and I have loads of pictures of them. I was sitting back enjoying the day when at 10:30am a buck came trotting over the hill and my hand instinctively reached for the bow. It was the buck from the day before; the one that I said if he came into water today he wouldn't be leaving.

He trotted right down to the water without hesitation. As the buck was drinking, I was waiting; waiting for a broadside shot. Finally the buck finished drinking and started to back out, I drew, settled the 20 yard pin on him holding a little low, and released as he turned broadside. As I released the buck dropped and spun to the left, and I watched in horror as my arrow buried deep into his rear quarter.

When the buck spun he wound up quartering away and 24 inches of my 28 inch Axis shaft buried into him. He bounded off about 15 yards and stopped. By this time I could see the blood pumping down his leg, he wobbled, bounded another 15 yards, hunched down, and then flopped over. The 3 bladed Rage had done its job.

The day before; I had found the secret spot in the blind when my phone could get a signal and I texted the ranch house cell phone, Sam, and John that I had a buck down. Sam and Mark were at the butchers in Douglas and Sam texted back that Mark had called JJ, and that JJ was on his way. Ten minutes later JJ rolled up, we packed up my gear, and JJ took some pictures of me and the buck. Back at the ranch house JJ and Mark green scored my buck at 65 inches. Just two inches shy of making Pope & Young, but a great buck just the same!

As the week progressed both my Father and John scored on good bucks, both using traditional Bowhunting gear, and each having their own adventures in and out of the blind. All-in-all, our group went four for four on antelope bucks, and I can't say enough about the hospitality of the Werner's; we ate like kings and were treated like family.

If you want to hunt antelope and experience the hospitality at the famed Werner Ranch; call them soon because they book up quick!

Me & my Buck
Posted Image

Sam & his Speedster
Posted Image

My Pop and his Buck
Posted Image

John and his Goat
Posted Image

Some various pics...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

OOOP's...he spotted me...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

United Bowhunters of NJ (LM)
Pope & Young Club (Life Assoc)
Professional Bowhunters Society - AM
USSA-Bowhunters Rights Coalition
NJ Beach Buggie Assoc.
North American Hunting Club (LM)
NRA (LM)
NJSFSC

(\ (\
(=' x')----<<<
(,('')('')
Dead Rabbit

#2 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01/27/13 - 07:34 PM

Awesome trip and pics Bacs! Nice to see some fellow members in there too! Looks like you guys had a great time!

#3 Male OFFLINE   remingtonman1108

remingtonman1108

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 01/27/13 - 08:24 PM

Amazing trip guys! Love the pics! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

#4 Male OFFLINE   sam3

sam3

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 01/28/13 - 07:03 AM

I'm glad you posted this here Bacs. That was great trip some really great friends!

#5 Male OFFLINE   Jeff M

Jeff M

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 01/28/13 - 08:16 AM

Sweet pics

#6 Male OFFLINE   BowTechExperience

BowTechExperience

10 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 01/28/13 - 09:19 AM

Congrats on a nice hunt and good write-up. Also thanks for the pics.....

#7 Male OFFLINE   jkotys

jkotys

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 01/28/13 - 10:19 AM

Enjoyed the story Brian. Looks like a great trip and you got some awesome pics too. WTG!

#8 Male OFFLINE   Drop Tine

Drop Tine

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 01/28/13 - 11:13 AM

Congrats Guys... Looks like an awesome time :thumb_up:

}}}--I certainly do chase New Jersey's BIG Bucks, BIG Birds, and BIG Fish--->

Best Bow Buck to date; 2011 Gross; 142 6/8
Best Gobbler to date; 2012 NWTF score of 77.5
Best Northern Pike to date; 40" (Passaic River Pike )
Best Muskie to date; (The hunt begins)

#9 Male OFFLINE   Matty

Matty

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 01/28/13 - 11:20 AM

Thats awesome Brian! Congrats to all you guys!

What do you think went wrong on the one that someone shot but didn't kill? If it's the one in the pix I think it is, looks like the shot was just a bit back (depending on angle) but should kill it no problems. Strange.

Also, why is Sam hiding his beautiful head of hair with a hat? LOL

If you're too busy to hunt....You're too busy!

- Sent from my Alexander Graham Bell Hand Crank Model Mar101876 Phone

#10 Male OFFLINE   sam3

sam3

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 01/28/13 - 11:51 AM

Thats awesome Brian! Congrats to all you guys!

What do you think went wrong on the one that someone shot but didn't kill? If it's the one in the pix I think it is, looks like the shot was just a bit back (depending on angle) but should kill it no problems. Strange.

Also, why is Sam hiding his beautiful head of hair with a hat? LOL

The blinding glare off of the Pantene would have given me an unfair advantage once they reached the waterhole.
:D

#11 Male OFFLINE   DBuck

DBuck

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 01/28/13 - 04:42 PM

Very cool... Please don't tell John about the site..Ha

#12 Male OFFLINE   Woodrufflou

Woodrufflou

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 01/28/13 - 05:10 PM

Awesome !!!!

#13 Male OFFLINE   DV1

DV1

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 07:00 AM

Great story and pics, thanks for sharing.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

#14 OFFLINE   jakesbeard

jakesbeard

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02/04/13 - 04:12 PM

"Very cool... Please don't tell John about the site..Ha " now Tim why would ya say a thing like that and I will have you know I was the best lookin bald guy on that hunt so there!

#15 OFFLINE   joedjr

joedjr

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02/04/13 - 04:28 PM

Great story and pictures. I love pronghorn hunting. Thanks for sharing.

#16 Male OFFLINE   Woodrufflou

Woodrufflou

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 02/04/13 - 04:37 PM

Read the story and looked at the pics for the 3rd time! So awesome!

#17 Male OFFLINE   Sugar

Sugar

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 02/04/13 - 04:47 PM

Great pics....

#18 Male OFFLINE   MikeP

MikeP

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members