• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Rut

24 replies to this topic

#21 Male OFFLINE   Besa0559

Besa0559

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11/03/15 - 08:43 PM

activity has been slow in Hopewell this year. The only deer I've seen on my trail cam is at night. Not the typical year for deer

#22 Male OFFLINE   Heavyopp

Heavyopp

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 11/03/15 - 10:05 PM

I had 4 bucks within 30 yards on Sunday -- Zone 8 -- from 3pm till sundown -- 2 came in together the other 2 where traveling alone

They all got a pass -- nothing worth using the buck tag on so early in the extended season

Not one doe to be seen

#23 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,773 posts

Posted 11/04/15 - 05:19 AM

The bucks are on the does but with this heat there's not a lot of running around.  I watched another buck yesterday just standing guard over a bedded doe.  

#24 Male OFFLINE   DV1

DV1

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 11/05/15 - 03:51 PM

I've been hunting a lot since mid October, and also have about 8 cameras still working.

There was a great flurry of daylight activity on my cams starting October 18th and seemed to shut off immediately on the 24th, with just a little bit of activity on the 25th and 27th.

This matched what I saw on stand, and seemed to coincide with the cold front we had. I hunted the 19, 20, 21st, 23rd and 24th. I saw several bucks grunting and chasing does hard on 3 different properties, each several miles form the other, through the 23rd. The 24th was quiet. Hunted again the 26th and 27th, and saw some does and fawns with no rut activity around them. I went out in the rain on the 28th and pulled my cards and found the cameras matched what I saw from the stand.

Hunted the afternoon of the 29th, and the 30 through yesterday afternoon. Not much going on. I went to a small private piece I have limited access to on Nov. 2nd and had a doe and 3 fawns come out early to feed on a green field. About 45 mins later, 2 does and 3 fawns came out to join them. After watching them for a while, and not seeing any bucks around them, I shot a big doe, first deer I've killed in NJ with my bow in 3 years. She went 20 yards and fell over. The other deer didn't go far and I watched them until dark to see if the rut would show up. It didn't.

Hunted a few times since then and saw one spike buck cruise through right at dark, no other rut-like activity. 

I still see pics showing up of guys killing nice bucks and reporting rut activity but it's just a matter of being where it's happening. With fewer and fewer deer, the places it's happening tend to be 'few and far between', so we don't see it as much. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

#25 Male OFFLINE   Matty

Matty

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 11/05/15 - 07:32 PM

There was a great flurry of daylight activity on my cams starting October 18th and seemed to shut off immediately on the 24th, with just a little bit of activity on the 25th and 27th...

...I still see pics showing up of guys killing nice bucks and reporting rut activity but it's just a matter of being where it's happening. With fewer and fewer deer, the places it's happening tend to be 'few and far between', so we don't see it as much. 

I remember seeing good flurries of activity around the same times you mentioned too. However, I've been fortunate enough to see another recent flurry.

The rut is always intriguing to me because people perceive it in so many different ways. Plus it seems like so many people wait for it and want to hit it right on every year, but every year people complain that it didn't happen. It did....it had to. lol

It's kind of like what you said, you just have to be there when it's happening. Could even be happening in the woods you're in, you're just not where it's at or you missed a great day and landed on a dud. I have to believe we still have some serious action to come, but for anyone waiting on cold weather to "trigger" the rut, I would recommend just getting the heck out there. Anytime from October to January I have seen breeding. Remember it's like a "bell curve", you start with a doe or two going into estrous in early October....then you gradually build up to a lot of does in estrous around now (give or take) and then fade back down quickly. The same thing happens again about a month later.

That's my take on the rut anyway. You just have to be out there and hope you hit the right area at the right time and the right doe has all the bucks going loonie around your stand.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users