IGNORED

Hossed Up On Public Land!

Hitemnasty

Hi all, new to the sight but been over njh since 2008. Posted this over there and Maximus suggested I post up over here so I am.

Took the day off of work yesterday in hopes of filling the usually soupy tasting fall bow tag. Well it started out with high hopes as I headed to my favorite tree this morn even though I knew I was pushing the envolope with the forecasted wind direction. Walk into my spot and jump a few deer by my tree but they didn't know what I was and hung around before moving off before I climbed. Get up in the stand and mostly setup when I notice the wind must've shifted cause it was blowing south, the worst direction it could be for me! So instead of tainting my best spot on its first sit of the season I reluctantly hurried down and boogied out of there. Was going to head back to truck and wait for it to shift into the right direction but decided I'd head over to a area I've looked at but never hunted or really picked a tree. I only had my climber seat (because I use it in my lock ons for comfort) and was going to sit on the ground and wait out the wind there. I wasn't there long and I heard some water crashes two different times and a bunch of twigs break another time. It was kinda thick and I could only shoot one trail that I felt I was too close to so I headed back to truck to grab the rest of my climber. Headed back out and was settled in about 830. Shortly after had a basket 6 come by at ten yards, so hopes where growing! That was short lived cause I didn't see or hear anything for the rest of the morning and got down at one to grab lunch and come back to keep sitting the new spot because I had a good feeling. Come back an hour later and sure enough a doe is by my tree! Ninety minutes go by quietly and then the crashing sound us as rut hunters love to hear, followed by a grunt then quiet again. Ten or so min later I hear more, than he showed face about 60 yards out! He dipped and dive in and out of the thick stuff chasing a little four point, for a few minutes they running around in real thick stuff and the entire time he was grunting loud and hard. Then I spotted the doe they have been harassing and she came right next to me twelve yards away and stopped then I knew it was on! He came charging after her and I drew back getting ready to stop him but he stopped on his own right where I needed him to and he looked right up at me but it was too late for him. I settled my pin, took a breath and let the FMJ tipped with a 125 helix broadhead soar hitting lung and heart. He ran about fifty yards stopped and the sight I love to see deer do...the tail wag and down he goes!!!! So pumped he is my best by a few inches at 140 gross and weighed in at 185 dressed. If I stayed in the spot I was sitting on the ground I would've had a clear ten yard broadside shot from the opposite side I got him on but would've missed seeing all the action and only just hearing it!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Outstanding public land buck!

Some good lessons there too...At least I think so.

I was pushing the envolope with the forecasted wind direction

I know you moved after this, but I actually get the best buck action when the wind is "almost wrong". It probably has to do with where they bed for certain wind directions and how they cruise terrain using thermals and wind direction changes caused by terrain features.

I notice the wind must've shifted cause it was blowing south, the worst direction it could be for me! So instead of tainting my best spot on its first sit of the season I reluctantly hurried down and boogied out of there.

Another great lesson for all of us to remember. If the wind is wrong, change locations. Don't have to go home, just move.

It was kinda thick and I could only shoot one trail that I felt I was too close to so I headed back to truck to grab the rest of my climber

Another great lesson....if the setup doesn't feel right, take the time to make it right.

There's a lot to be learned from this hunt for everyone reading it.

Congrats on an outstanding buck!!! Oh and welcome...but we already know you. lol

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear