IGNORED

Big 8 down

Bmelvin

I threw the pic up in my intro but didn't have a chance to tell the story yet.

This guy showed up on one of my properties last fall and was a mid 120's buck. Great buck but I knew he was only 3.5 and had a great potential. As many know I supplemental feed with our custom mineral and feed blend in all my spots so I figured lets see what he does. Well he blew up. Watched him all summer just keep packing it on. Unfortunately he gained some attention from the local poachers and he was on the hit list. Would have really liked to let him go for one more year bc at 5.5 he would have been unreal.

So first week of the season came and he disappeared I could not get him on camera anywhere. I figured one of the poachers got him and that was the end of it. But all of a sudden the acorns started to drop and he was back. Had him on camera at 6 am and knew he had to be bedded somewhere close by. So I slipped into my stand at 2:30 figuring I'll get in early well thank god I did. 2 hours later I see his running mate a nice 3.5 yr 8 that will be a stud next year stands up 70 yards behind me in a thicket. I was excited to see movement at all but then the guy stood up 5 yards away from his buddy. It took them 40 mins to make it 50 yards bc of all the acorns. I could have taken a shot at 35 but they had no clue I was there and I just sat down and waited. Finally he crossed at 18 yards slightly quartering away and smoked him. He jumped and ran 10 yards and fell over. Certainly one for the books. One of the prettiest deer I have take. He is basically blonde. Here are a few pics and one pic from him last year. You can see he put on easily 15-20 inches of growth and how blonde he is compared to a normal deer color.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Holy crap, that is indeed a BIG 8! Beauty! :up:

Very interesting the feeder doesn't spook him at all. I tried tripod feeders a long time ago, and had bucks even in the rut come in and just spook off at the sight of it.

He was resident it seems, so maybe he had time to adjust and get used to it.

Most of the spooked deer I saw were just rogue bucks cruising through looking for does.

Holy crap, that is indeed a BIG 8! Beauty! :up:Very interesting the feeder doesn't spook him at all. I tried tripod feeders a long time ago, and had bucks even in the rut come in and just spook off at the sight of it.He was resident it seems, so maybe he had time to adjust and get used to it.Most of the spooked deer I saw were just rogue bucks cruising through looking for does.

If you don't shoot deer over the feeders they won't get spooked. Does take a little time but they settle in just fine.