IGNORED

Carter Revolution

Bell

Do any of you shoot A Carter Revolution release for hunting? Or any other type of back tension release for hunting if so how do you like it

TEAMKILLZONE PRO STAFF, TEAM PEARSON FACTORY FIELD STAFF... I love bow hunting and spending time with my family!

I love shooting back tension for targets, but for hunting, tried it, just don't like it.

Instead I use a copper john/stanislawski eagle release (middle finger trigger).

Thumb or pinky triggers aren't bad either. But I feel like sometimes I need to make a shot faster if an animal is moving or something and trigger right NOW....with back tension my shots seem way further off if I try to force them. with a trigger, still pretty on. don't know why...just the way it is for me.

And I believe the revolution has a safety right? You'd want to see if the safety makes any noise when clicking on and off. Obviously a HUGE factor in a hunting release.

I've never tried a release that fires on increased pressure, but sold a few of the HHA ones that did. If I remember, the guys didn't like them that much, but that was a relatively new thing when that came out. Maybe they are better now.

I do fire my middle finger release very much like a non-rotational increased weight BT release though. Basically just hold my middle finger off until settled at anchor, put a little weight on the middle finger and push pull through the shot. Very smooth.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

I shoot a Carter Attension 3 finger release both for target and hunting. I even leave the "click" on it for hunting. My mindset is that I want to be on "auto pilot" when making a shot on an animal. Muscle memory is key here when under stress and for me anyway, I like to keep all things familiar. For example while practicing or shooting indoor or outdoor events, leagues, or 3D, Once I come to full draw and settle into the shot, start to aim, all I have to do is concentrate on the "spot" or "pocket" and the shot will happen. I don't have to break my concentration from the aiming aspect of the shot to "give" a "release command" to my trigger finger because there is no trigger. With a back tension style type release, the actual firing of the release is caused by your back muscles that are supporting the shot. Once you come to full draw and settle in and start your aiming process, you then increase your back tension by squeezing your shoulder blades together which then causes an ever so small bit of movement in your release hand that makes the release fire. All of this requires that your draw length be spot on for the style of release you are going to use and lots of practice... Proper practice at that, not just hooking up to the string and winging a few with bad form because this will create bad habits that are hard to break. However it is almost magical when you finally get it down and when you can come to full draw on a target, settle in on a spot and let the shot happen and just know it is in the middle shot after shot. Also realize that all shooters have movement while aiming on target and that it is natural to have movement. Part of the key to that movement is to accept it and not fight it. Over time it will slow down and then slow down some more to where on some shots your pin or dot seems to be burning a hole in the X. Again though this requires proper practice and would be very beneficial to you to get with someone you trust in to help you with it because in the beginning of learning proper back tension your shooting will seem to fall apart for a while, but then it will come back and that is when you are on the right track to being in control of your shot. Hope this helps you. Realize also that you can read tons of info about it on the net, but til you get with someone who knows what they are doing it will be very difficult to conquer for you...Are you battling target panic and is that the reason you asking about the Revolution? Keep in mind that a good shot is only a by product of proper shot execution. Ed

Ed actually posed a great question.

Why are you looking to use this release or any back tension release?

Target panic? Just looking to improve your shooting?

"back tension" isn't really a release type, it's shot execution. You can learn to activate any release using back tension and should.

As Ed also said, if you haven't shot one before and you're learning to activate a release through back tension, you'll fall apart before you build back up again. As you build though, you'll eventually far surpass your previous accuracy levels.

Ed had a lot of great advice, read through it a few times if you have to.

This is all assuming you haven't shot with them previously. If you were just thinking of moving it over to hunting from targets, it's worth a try.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Love the BT's for target shooting but have not wanted to use for hunting. My biggest concern is that consistency and a truly deliberate release require too much "consciousness" and all the potential starts and stops, draws and letdowns in the field present too many opportunities for misfires. Just my own thoughts and feelings.

Excellence, in anything, never occurs by chance

Achieving perfection is impossible. Striving for perfection makes greatness achievable