• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

I'm A Little Nervous

20 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   Tarhunt

Tarhunt

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 10/27/15 - 08:20 PM

This Saturday is the Virginia muzzle loader opener. We'll be hunting all day Saturday and part of Sunday. My son is 14 so, he can legally hunt by himself. He'll be hunting in a brand new ladder stand that's 20 feet at the shooting rail. He's hunted from ladder stands before but, I was always with him. He will be about 225 yards from me. Depending on where my father decides to hunt, my son will be on his own. He will have his safety harness on as well as his radio and probably his cell phone. Any advice from you guys? I'm just a nervous ninny. I'm sure that he'll be fine. He'll probably shoot a bigger buck than me anyway.

Edited by Tarhunt, 10/27/15 - 08:21 PM.

• Like x 1
  • List

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

#2 OFFLINE   ChrisM

ChrisM

Fawn

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10/27/15 - 08:23 PM

My dad put me in stands alone a lot earlier than that.  I would help him get up in the stand, make sure his harness is attached, and then give him a hive five and tell him good luck :up:

• Like x 3
  • Agree x 1
  • List

#3 Male OFFLINE   rgw

rgw

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 10/27/15 - 08:29 PM

he will be fine, you will def.be more worried than him. just like anything else in life you got to let them go and hope you taught them everything you could

• Disturbing x 1
  • Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#4 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,766 posts

Posted 10/27/15 - 08:29 PM

It will be a great experience for him, focus on that.  It's hard to let them become more and more independent.

The sad truth is we raise our kids to leave us.   

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#5 Male OFFLINE   Leo801

Leo801

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 10/27/15 - 08:31 PM

He'll probably shoot a bigger buck than me anyway.

Lets be honest, that's what's got you the most nervous,isn't it?...lol

I'm sure you taught him well and he'll be fine.  I was nervous letting my then 12 year old son hunt with a friend of mine, without me. The report I got back was that he was the safest hunter my buddy has ever hunted with, which made me wonder considering, me and my friend ,  we hunt together all the time. But it went a long way in settling my nerves as far as my son being on his own one day. He'll be 14 next year and I guess it's time for his solo stand sits soon...

Looking forward to seeing his successful pics.

• Like x 1
  • List

#6 Male OFFLINE   Tarhunt

Tarhunt

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 10/27/15 - 08:32 PM

It will be a great experience for him, focus on that.  It's hard to let them become more and more independent.

The sad truth is we raise our kids to leave us.   

He's already told me that he will shoot a big buck before it gets to me. He's looking forward to hunting by himself.

• Funny x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#7 Male OFFLINE   NJSOG

NJSOG

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 10/27/15 - 09:48 PM

Think back to when you were his age or the first time you hunted by yourself. Every thing worked out right. You had a good teacher and I'm sure you have pasted on all of the Do's and Don'ts to your son. Now take three deep breaths and relax. He will be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like x 1
  • List

#8 Male OFFLINE   Palawman30

Palawman30

Owner of PredaTorch.com

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 10/28/15 - 04:11 AM

My dad started me hunting with him during Pa buck week back in the 70s when I was 4...
Got my license at 10...Shhhhhhhh to late now....
Hunted on my own at 12 and killed a deer...
He will be fine, he will feel very mature handling himself with pop and pop pop around...like one of the men...give him the space and the kid will flourish under your guidance...
  • Agree x 1
  • List

referral-0686239001424316551.png

PredaTorch.com         Hot Estrous Doe and Other Deer Scent, Night Predator Lights

#9 Female OFFLINE   Ms Grit

Ms Grit

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 10/28/15 - 06:59 AM

I am sure that you have instilled in him all of the attributes that make up a good hunter: safety, ethics and pride. I am also sure that the time you have spent with him in the woods has given him a solid foundation from which he can now be confident is his own abilities and judgements.  It's tough Dad, but time to take a step back and be ever so proud of the young man you have mentored.

• Like x 2
  • List

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

#10 Male OFFLINE   MackofallTrades

MackofallTrades

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 10/28/15 - 07:12 AM

Give a pep talk about the harness and maybe some gun safety related to being in a stand (like don't keep the gun between your legs pointed up - to easy for the muzzle to end up pointed at the body).  Stuff he probably already knows, but could use a reminder when he is super excited that morning. 
He will be fine.

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

- Mack

#11 Male OFFLINE   Slayer1962

Slayer1962

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 10/28/15 - 08:59 AM

first omg, this looks like a familiar list of names! lol. Hey if you have taught him well he will be fine. Since you are worried I am sure you
taught him fine! show us pictures of his deer!
  • Like x 1
  • List

#12 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 10/28/15 - 09:10 AM

As a parent, the hardest thing we do in life is to let them go, but that is the entire goal of being a parent as Rusty said.  Sounds like a great kid and he'll do fine.  If it helps any, I bet he won't be nervous on his own.  

• Agree x 1
  • List

#13 Male OFFLINE   Heavyopp

Heavyopp

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10/28/15 - 09:30 AM

Your son has you and your dad close -- you guys can be there fast if anything goes wrong 

Put him in the stand,  be sure he gets secured into his harness -- and gets his gun up safely -- then walk away

Stay on the radios -- my son barely talks on the radio but I'm right there if needed 

He'll be fine and you will feel amazing when he does get his 1st deer alone  -- trust him -- you already know he's ready or you wouldn't even consider this

Enjoy the day

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#14 Male OFFLINE   Tarhunt

Tarhunt

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 10/28/15 - 09:34 AM

I asked him last night if he's ready to hunt alone in his stand and he looked at me and said "Why wouldn't I be"? LOL! He's already packed his double stuffed oreos and who knows what else.

Edited by Tarhunt, 10/28/15 - 09:35 AM.

• Like x 1
  • List

#15 Male OFFLINE   Silver Belly62

Silver Belly62

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 10/28/15 - 09:37 AM

He will be fine, from my experience in the past with new guests or first time hunters I always had the knife sharp and ready because they were the ones to drop the hammer first   :up:

Edited by Silver Belly62, 10/28/15 - 09:38 AM.

#16 Male OFFLINE   Heavyopp

Heavyopp

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10/28/15 - 09:41 AM

Thats funny cause I asked my son the other day if he was Ok in the blind himself --  He's 15 and been hunting since 10

He says to me -- "why wouldn't I be"  --  I kept my mouth shut but in my head I'm thinking bears 

We just started on a new piece -- sunday was our 1st time out -- Tewksbury, the homeowner has talked to me about the bears and my son knows it

Anyway, I had bears on my mind but he didn't seem bothered and all was fine 

#17 Male OFFLINE   outdoorslife

outdoorslife

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 10/28/15 - 11:35 AM

I hope to have the same nervous feelings as you one day knowing my duaghter will hopefully spend time with me in the woods! Shes only 5 months so I have some time to prep lol

Someone else said it but if you are nervous that means you care, are a good parent and have done everything you could to prepare him for this moment. He needs it and you do as well. Good luck and look at all of the positives you can. You know, like, he is gonna shoot a buck and make you drag it so in a few years when you shoot a bigger buck he will be big and strong by then to drag it out for you! haha

• Agree x 1
  • List

#18 ONLINE   LittleM

LittleM

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 10/28/15 - 11:58 AM

My son was only slightly older when he went solo.  Almost the same situation.  Big double-ladder that we had hunter together out of numerous times before.  Only I dropped him off at the field and slowly drove away to my spot, a little apprehensively.  The whole time I sat in my stand I could barely sit still.  I can remember the first text like it was yesterday - him to me at about 11:30 am:  "I just shot a buck and its a good one".  I could not drive back fast enough.  It was a solid 8-pointer.

Your son will be fine.  This is what you trained him for.  He will remember the lessons you taught him.  Though I was physically far from mine that day, we still had cell phone contact.  That does provide some peace of mind.  Good luck.

• Like x 3
  • List

#19 OFFLINE   Cousin Brown

Cousin Brown

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 10/28/15 - 05:02 PM

He will be fine….Good Luck!!!!

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers:

#20 Male OFFLINE   B B

B B

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 10/28/15 - 06:31 PM

At 14 my parents couldn't wait to drop me off somewhere in the woods to shoot some squirrels by myself.  Little did they know I was climbing up in every stand I could find :rofl:   He'll be fine, but it's good to know there's still parents out there that care.  

Edited by B B, 10/28/15 - 06:32 PM.

• Like x 1
  • List

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users