IGNORED

I'm A Little Nervous

Tarhunt

This Saturday is the Virginia muzzle loader opener. We'll be hunting all day Saturday and part of Sunday. My son is 14 so, he can legally hunt by himself. He'll be hunting in a brand new ladder stand that's 20 feet at the shooting rail. He's hunted from ladder stands before but, I was always with him. He will be about 225 yards from me. Depending on where my father decides to hunt, my son will be on his own. He will have his safety harness on as well as his radio and probably his cell phone. Any advice from you guys? I'm just a nervous ninny. I'm sure that he'll be fine. He'll probably shoot a bigger buck than me anyway.

Edited by Tarhunt

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

He'll probably shoot a bigger buck than me anyway.

Lets be honest, that's what's got you the most nervous,isn't it?...lol

I'm sure you taught him well and he'll be fine.  I was nervous letting my then 12 year old son hunt with a friend of mine, without me. The report I got back was that he was the safest hunter my buddy has ever hunted with, which made me wonder considering, me and my friend ,  we hunt together all the time. But it went a long way in settling my nerves as far as my son being on his own one day. He'll be 14 next year and I guess it's time for his solo stand sits soon...

Looking forward to seeing his successful pics.

It will be a great experience for him, focus on that.  It's hard to let them become more and more independent.

The sad truth is we raise our kids to leave us.   

He's already told me that he will shoot a big buck before it gets to me. He's looking forward to hunting by himself.

Think back to when you were his age or the first time you hunted by yourself. Every thing worked out right. You had a good teacher and I'm sure you have pasted on all of the Do's and Don'ts to your son. Now take three deep breaths and relax. He will be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad started me hunting with him during Pa buck week back in the 70s when I was 4...

Got my license at 10...Shhhhhhhh to late now....

Hunted on my own at 12 and killed a deer...

He will be fine, he will feel very mature handling himself with pop and pop pop around...like one of the men...give him the space and the kid will flourish under your guidance...

referral-0686239001424316551.png

PredaTorch.com         Hot Estrous Doe and Other Deer Scent, Night Predator Lights

I am sure that you have instilled in him all of the attributes that make up a good hunter: safety, ethics and pride. I am also sure that the time you have spent with him in the woods has given him a solid foundation from which he can now be confident is his own abilities and judgements.  It's tough Dad, but time to take a step back and be ever so proud of the young man you have mentored.

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

Give a pep talk about the harness and maybe some gun safety related to being in a stand (like don't keep the gun between your legs pointed up - to easy for the muzzle to end up pointed at the body).  Stuff he probably already knows, but could use a reminder when he is super excited that morning. 
He will be fine.

- Mack

Your son has you and your dad close -- you guys can be there fast if anything goes wrong 

Put him in the stand,  be sure he gets secured into his harness -- and gets his gun up safely -- then walk away

Stay on the radios -- my son barely talks on the radio but I'm right there if needed 

He'll be fine and you will feel amazing when he does get his 1st deer alone  -- trust him -- you already know he's ready or you wouldn't even consider this

Enjoy the day

I asked him last night if he's ready to hunt alone in his stand and he looked at me and said "Why wouldn't I be"? LOL! He's already packed his double stuffed oreos and who knows what else.

Edited by Tarhunt