IGNORED

How to start trapping?

I am getting more interested in trapping now that I've seen some of the harvests and done some very limited research on the gear. However, I'm still trying to piece it all together like anything else that's new to me.

Can anyone help me understand the trapping process from start to finish? How do you prepare for the season (gear, scouting, etc.)? What should I expect at the Trapper Education Course? Setting snares and maintaining them? Harvesting, processing, and then what do I do with all the pelts/harvests (there's only so much raccoon I can eat in one year...)?

I'm really new to this, so don't assume anything. But at least know that I've been hunting/fishing for a several decades and know the woods. :)

Thanks in advance.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

first you have to take the nj trapper course. i believe they hold 2 a year and they fill up really quick, so you haave to sign up as soon as they are posted on line. pre season you should be scouting. 1st rule, dont apply for a beaver or otter permitt unless you have done a lot of scouting and are sure you can pull your limit or close to your limit of beavers. these permitts are verry limited and people depend on them to control the damage on their properties, so if you get one and dont use it you are taking from someone who needs it. fox yotes coons rats and minkhave at it. at the course they will teach you the basics of snareing and you will improve on what they teach you. for fox they teach you to use a 8" loop 8" off ground i like 6" and 6" personal preference. yotes 12" and 12" thats what i use but havent got one yet, had a couple of chew threws. 5/64 cable for fox and coons, 3/32 for yotes. its best to buy a few snares first so you can see how they are made then make your own after, it is cheeper if you are making a lot of sets. i also boil my new snares in baking soda, it takes oils off snares and dulls the shiney look off them. you can sell firs at fur auctions. to be a trapper you have to be dedicated, cant take a day off because it is cold or rainy. have to check traps every day no exceptions!!!!

Jeff or Haskel, if your willing to travel one weekend to Warren county, I'd be glad to let you run one day with me on my line, give you an idea how things work. I trap water and land, so you can get a little taste of both worlds. You won't learn everything, took me 45 years to get were I'm at and still learning, but it will give you a little taste.

I've also gotten a lot more interested from following all the posts this season, I'd like to learn but I feel like I'd need to have my own land to be able to run the line every day. Also a lot more time to learn to skin properly.

Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness

Jeff or Haskel' date=' if your willing to travel one weekend to Warren county, I'd be glad to let you run one day with me on my line, give you an idea how things work. I trap water and land, so you can get a little taste of both worlds. You won't learn everything, took me 45 years to get were I'm at and still learning, but it will give you a little taste.

[/quote']

Awesome, thanks for the offer. I'd definitely be into that! Very much appreciated!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Awesome' date=' thanks for the offer. I'd definitely be into that! Very much appreciated!

[/quote']

No problem. Glad to get somebody started. You guys pm me when you think you have the time. I run every day. The weekend would be best to spend some time.

take the class first

spend a lot of time on trapperman, in the archives.

youtube has a lot of bad info.

buy a few dvds. you will make your money back.

do a few ride alongs with trappers in your area. that will cut years off your learning curve.

United Bowhunters of New Jersey

New Jersey Fur Harvester
New Jersey Trappers Association
National Trappers Association