• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

mohrs widow maker pig hunts

18 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   TroutandBucks

TroutandBucks

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 01/18/15 - 10:20 PM

Any one ever do one of these pig hunts?
http://www.mohrswido....com/island.htm

Thinking about doing one of these hunts in the next month to month and half. Would any one be interested?

Mike

#2 Male OFFLINE   MRMCR

MRMCR

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 01/20/15 - 05:55 PM

Mikey is just dying for some pork chops........

• Funny x 1
  • List

DEFEND FREEDOM.....DEFEAT HILLARY.......VOTE TRUMP 2016

#3 Male ONLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,232 posts

Posted 01/20/15 - 05:57 PM

I've never done it, but that has to be some good eating!

#4 Male OFFLINE   Matty

Matty

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 01/20/15 - 07:30 PM

Hopefully you know this would be nothing more than collecting some meat for the freezer.

There is zero "sport" in it and it really stretches the definition of "hunt". I know a guy that did it and he said it's awful. Just search youtube and you'll see how lame it is. 

You'll line up with guys and "drive" the island. When you find animals, they might walk up to you, they might stand still, maybe the "guides" will have to push them out from some brush. When you shoot them, they will likely just stand there and die, maybe even walk towards you, but not likely that they'll even run. These are not "wild" animals at all. 

I could never do that and call it a "hunt". Slaughtering? Sure... You might as well ask a local farmer if you can go out and shoot one of his hogs for your freezer.

Or maybe bring your bow down to ShopRite and ask the deli guy if you can shoot a few honey hams.

If it's just meat you want, you'll get a lot of good meat. If it's a hunt you're looking for, don't bother.

If you're too busy to hunt....You're too busy!

- Sent from my Alexander Graham Bell Hand Crank Model Mar101876 Phone

#5 Male OFFLINE   TroutandBucks

TroutandBucks

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 01/21/15 - 08:57 PM

Well I'm looking for a hunt to do to hold me over until spring turkey and i would like the pork. 

#6 Male OFFLINE   TroutandBucks

TroutandBucks

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 01/21/15 - 08:58 PM

Any one have any ideas about another type of hunt to do to shake off the winter

#7 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 01/21/15 - 09:30 PM

You got winter bow through January, and February and March are the best times to scout for deer and learn new areas.  I spend more time in the woods in late winter than any other time.  There's plenty to do to keep your hunting fire fueled.  

• Agree x 1
  • List

#8 Male OFFLINE   Matty

Matty

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 01/21/15 - 09:35 PM

Deer is still open until Feb 21st in some zones. And now is a great time to get out and scout for next season.

Another thing you could try is predator hunting, goes into mid March. (forget the exact date)

Also, if you want to hunt wild hogs, Florida has a season year round and you don't even need a license for hogs (that might be only private land though)

I may have come off a bit gruff in the last post, if you want to go get some pork out there, go for it. I just wanted to make sure you knew what it really is. 

• Like x 1
  • List

#9 Male ONLINE   Haskell_Hunter

Haskell_Hunter

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 01/21/15 - 09:41 PM

Small game is open until Feb 15, I think.  Blast some tree rats, that's always fun to do!

US citizens have constitutionally protected rights - but they're only paper protections if they can't be freely exercised.

--BBC News

The right to revolt has sources deep in our history.

-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

Ideas are indeed the most dangerous weapons in the world. Our ideas of freedom are the most powerful political weapons man has ever forged.

#10 Male OFFLINE   TroutandBucks

TroutandBucks

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 01/22/15 - 07:55 AM

Matty,

No issues and thank you for telling me what that hunt is like!

#11 Male OFFLINE   TroutandBucks

TroutandBucks

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 01/22/15 - 07:56 AM

Thank you all for your feed back. I just want to do a different besides the deer and small game. I have been working alot lately its busy season at my company so I wanted to try something new.

#12 Male ONLINE   Haskell_Hunter

Haskell_Hunter

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 01/22/15 - 09:14 AM

Thank you all for your feed back. I just want to do a different besides the deer and small game. I have been working alot lately its busy season at my company so I wanted to try something new.

Bow fishing. Very underrated and a ton of fun. Keeps you in the woods with a bow all year long, great sport and easy fishing in rivers like the Flat Brook after it's been stocked when the season is open.

US citizens have constitutionally protected rights - but they're only paper protections if they can't be freely exercised.

--BBC News

Ideas are indeed the most dangerous weapons in the world. Our ideas of freedom are the most powerful political weapons man has ever forged.

#13 Male OFFLINE   TroutandBucks

TroutandBucks

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 01/22/15 - 09:49 AM

Shooting trout with a bow hmm that sounds like alot of fun

#14 Male ONLINE   Haskell_Hunter

Haskell_Hunter

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 01/22/15 - 03:23 PM

It's pretty challenging and different from hunting deer, but well worth the experience. It really improves your bow skills if you stick with it. It's also easy to get really frustrated doing it.

--BBC News

#15 Male ONLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,232 posts

Posted 01/22/15 - 05:07 PM

Isn't there a feral pig population in south NJ now? And a hunting season for them?
Another option is the coyote and fox season. They're a lot of fun to chase around and (try to) call in! :)
  • Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#16 Male OFFLINE   TroutandBucks

TroutandBucks

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 01/22/15 - 08:28 PM

I did buy the calls this year for coyote and Fox. I guess bucksnbows and I will have to test it out in sparta

#17 Male OFFLINE   Matty

Matty

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 01/23/15 - 08:13 AM

If you plan to go at night or use ammo over #4, make sure you get the special permit, it's only $2.

If you and Brian are cool with a third guy, I'm probably in for that. I know some spots we can hit besides your property. Always have a great chance at fox in a handful of spots and each year I do call in at least a couple coyotes, but can't hit them worth a damn. 

You guys have lights? If not, I have a spare so two guys can shoot. It's definitely fun, can be very cold, and sometimes it'll even send a little chill up the spine when you hear something circling you and then suddenly a howl or scream comes out of nowhere.

• Like x 1
  • List

#18 Male ONLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,232 posts

Posted 01/23/15 - 11:04 AM

Wish I lived more north, I'd definitely meet up with you guys for a hunt! You guys should get out if you can make it happen, should be pretty good with the way this winter has been going. I looked outside my backyard and saw a fox took a dump on my sidewalk again...might have to take that guy out! :rofl:

#19 Male OFFLINE   PV216

PV216

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 01/26/15 - 06:49 AM

http://www.majesticw...e.com/index.htm

I went to majestic world lodge once about 10 years ago. My cousin and a friend each shot a pig. My uncle shot a buffalo and I shot a fallow deer. Would I call it a hunt? I don't think so. The pigs were the most difficult to find tho. I'm not sure if they offer pigs anymore. It was the only high fence hunt I've ever done and I don't think I'll ever do another one. I'm not bashing anyone who does, just giving my opinion. With that said, the lodge and the land were both beautiful and we did have fun spending time together as family.

My dad doesn't hunt but he asked me to take him on a pig hunt. I've never hunted with my dad and I would really like to spend some time in the woods with him. I guess I would consider a high fence pig hunt if it meant spending my first ever time together with my dad in the woods. I would just try and find the most "challenging" high fence operation. But I'll probably end up booking a fair chase hunt in the end. Good luck troutandbucks and let us know how the place is that you decide to go to.

Edited by PV216, 01/26/15 - 06:52 AM.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users