• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

01/17/15 check in

23 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,645 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 07:09 AM

Any other nut balls out hunting today? 9 degrees on the drive out. I think my toes were frozen before I got on stand lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Male OFFLINE   PV216

PV216

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 07:18 AM

Wish I was. Beautiful morning. Good luck.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#3 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 07:30 AM

71* here in my kitchen with a WaWa coffee

I agree with Pat, gorgeous morning.....but 7* where I hunt !!!!

Enjoy the hunt and be safe, good luck!!

#4 Male OFFLINE   Matty

Matty

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 09:26 AM

No, but I sat for 5 hours with the bow yesterday afternoon. It was windy as heck but warmer, 18 degrees. I heard a fox so I barked back at him....had him come by at 15 yards. That was cool. Then just before dark I passed up a small 5 or 6 pointer that walked by me at about 12 yards. At first I thought it was a doe and I got all excited that I'd get to shoot, as it got closer I saw antlers. Damn it! .

Today I have to fix a brake line that popped on my brothers car and change a thermostat on my other brothers truck. Fixing cars in the cold is worse than hunting in the cold, but that's pretty obvious. lol.... I might get out for predators later tonight though.

Good luck Matt and anyone else out there.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

#5 Male OFFLINE   Haskell_Hunter

Haskell_Hunter

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 09:58 AM

I am working...again...haven't slowed down since December.  I haven't seen the sun in weeks.

US citizens have constitutionally protected rights - but they're only paper protections if they can't be freely exercised.

--BBC News

The right to revolt has sources deep in our history.

-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

Ideas are indeed the most dangerous weapons in the world. Our ideas of freedom are the most powerful political weapons man has ever forged.

-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

#6 Male OFFLINE   CJ3a

CJ3a

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 10:23 AM

Back to your cave IT boy.
  • Funny x 2
  • List
I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

#7 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 12:58 PM

Today I have to fix a brake line that popped on my brothers car and change a thermostat on my other brothers truck. Fixing cars in the cold is worse than hunting in the cold, but that's pretty obvious. lol....

I spent a few days this week lying under my '02 Highlander fixing the transmission.  I just can't deal with the cold like i used to now that I'm on a blood thinner, but the good news is truck fixed and no need for a new tranny!  Wooohooo!  And the deer in my woodlot are all over the place today.  I tossed about 4 lbs of black oil sunflower seeds over the fence and they darn near charged me to get to it  :)

Saw my 2.5 year old 5 pointer and I keep thinking about taking him out, but not today. 

#8 Male OFFLINE   Bowhunter444

Bowhunter444

7 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 02:22 PM

Just got settled in for an afternoon sit going to try out my new thermacell heated insoles
  • Like x 1
  • List

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!" - Chesty Puller

#9 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,645 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 02:35 PM

Good deal on the tranny Brian!

Ken let me know what you think of them. I have them too but they didn't do much the times I tried them. The cold of the platform seemed to negate them

#10 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 02:56 PM

Ken let me know what you think of them. I have them too but they didn't do much the times I tried them. The cold of the platform seemed to negate them

I've been putting down a 1/2" to 3/4" piece of foam on the floor of my deer stands in the cold weather to help keep the cold from radiating up through my boots and it helps! 

• Like x 1
  • List

#11 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 02:57 PM

Foam isn't the right material. it's more like a cross between foam and rubber.  I have it in the back of my truck to stand on when I'm putting on or taking off my waders, and I use it in my metal deer stands as well.  

• Like x 1
  • List

#12 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,645 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 03:36 PM

Nice, yeah I think that's definitely an important add-on that helps a lot to cut down on the cold feet.

#13 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,645 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 04:02 PM

Well I got one midday. I glassed this deer and somehow missed the buttons. Head on I could not see them, from the side I thought I saw a dark spot, but it didn't jump out at me as a button, definitely barely there.  Turned out to be a fairly large body button, really thought it was a young doe...but in this area, might be better to shoot a buck over a doe anyway.  Certainly won't go to waste, already at the butcher being made into some breakfast sausage, filet medallions, and ground with pork! :up:

BTW, within 5 minutes there was a beautiful grey fox on this deer, ripped it's tail off.  I have video of him cruising around as I was following the blood trail.  Cold weather has them hungry!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421528405.380167.jpg

• Like x 2
  • List

#14 Male OFFLINE   Bowhunter444

Bowhunter444

7 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 759 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 04:09 PM

Just had two come in a doe and a button buck. Momma must have got a little wind of me as she just left. Feet are toasty warm with the new insoles
  • Like x 2
  • List

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!" - Chesty Puller

#15 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,645 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 04:14 PM

Man I wish my insoles worked that well, maybe mine are defective?  I literally felt no change with them.  I tried them at home and I can feel them get a little warm if I press one between my hands but not really warm, certainly not hot.

#16 Male OFFLINE   Bowhunter444

Bowhunter444

7 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 759 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 04:24 PM

Just had a nice 8 pt come in he needs one more year

post-327-14215298682388.jpg

• Like x 2
  • List

#17 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,645 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 04:26 PM

Cool, I'll fix the pic to get it oriented correctly! :up:

Here's the video of the fox from today...you can up it to 1080p for better quality.

• Like x 1
  • List

#18 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 05:10 PM

He's thinking, "what is this guy doing to ruin my dinner".  Funny thing is, you were thinking the same about him.....

Congrats on the deer in this cold!

#19 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • 10,766 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 06:01 PM

within 5 minutes there was a beautiful grey fox on this deer, ripped it's tail off.  I have video of him cruising around as I was following the blood trail.  Cold weather has them hungry!

I had exactly the same thing happen last Friday.  I shot one, waited 15 minutes, and when I got to it the tail was off, intestines were pulled out the backside, and the fox had peed on it.   :rant:

• Funny x 1
  • List

#20 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 01/17/15 - 06:15 PM

I had exactly the same thing happen last Friday.  I shot one, waited 15 minutes, and when I got to it the tail was off, intestines were pulled out the backside, and the fox had peed on it.   :rant:

I had to give you a "funny" hit because that's such a canine thing.  It's the old, "I got your deer right here" as he pees on it thing :rofl:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users