IGNORED

[split] FID card for UBNJ hunts and other issues

hammer4reel

I really don't know how long I've been a UBNJ member...I know that I paid to be a life member, as I am in the Pope & Young Club, and various other sporting organizations.

I started out as a member, was recruited as a Mercer County Rep, then Legislative Liasion, Vice-President, President, and now Tracks & Trails Editor, and oh yeah...I manage a UBNJ hunt.

The UBNJ has been a great vehicle for me to advance Bowhunter friendly legislation that I wrote and supported, Sunday Bow & The Bowhunters Safety Zone bills that were signed into law, as well as a No Net-Loss of Hunting Ground, and a HHH funding bill that have laid dead in the current legislature.

As for the "perceptions" of the hunts "not being on the level"...these claims are generally leveled by those that have broken rules and have been removed from a hunt, tried to take the hunting property from the UBNJ, or had their club ground sold and the UBNJ has been contracted to coordinate and insure the hunting on it, or are otherwise not hunting on the UBNJ hunt.

Hunt hosts often put conditions on how, when, and how long hunts take place, how they are advertised, to what weapons can be used and when they can be used. So I believe that most of the "perception" is in the eye of the beholder. For people to say things need to be fixed, without having any real knowledge of how they work, what work goes into them, and all of the details that are initialed in pulling together all the things that are associated with the managing a hunt is kind of far fetched isn't it? It would be like me trying to teach a physics class, I would have no idea what I'm talking about.

United Bowhunters of NJ (LM)
Pope & Young Club (Life Assoc)
Professional Bowhunters Society - AM
USSA-Bowhunters Rights Coalition
NJ Beach Buggie Assoc.
North American Hunting Club (LM)
NRA (LM)
NJSFSC

(\ (\
(=' x')----<<<
(,('')('')
Dead Rabbit

Been a member for about 8 or 9 years. I think they do great things for the sport. I don't do the hunts much anymore. I have my own land to hunt and would rather see someone without any have a chance to hunt.

One thing I don't get is to be a part of one of there hunts why you need an FID. what if u don't gun hunt or don't even own a gun? Only part I don't understand.

One thing I don't get is to be a part of one of there hunts why you need an FID. what if u don't gun hunt or don't even own a gun? Only part I don't understand.

From what we've been told it's so the UBNJ doesn't have to do a background check, it's already been done if you have a FID.

From what we've been told it's so the UBNJ doesn't have to do a background check' date=' it's already been done if you have a FID.

[/quote']

AN FID has NOTHING to do with bowhunting in NJ.

Even people who can not gain an FID are allowed to use archery equipment in NJ, as long as it is used for legal purpose.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

The way I remember it when I was on the Council was that the Hunt Host (the organization that owns the land) set the rules and used UBNJ to manage the hunt under those rules. It was a requirement from the organization that owned the land, UBNJ was just doing what they asked.

I never managed a hunt but that was how I remember it from Council meetings.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

No one said it did' date=' it's about the background check.

[/quote']

RED I qouted your statement, but that nor this reply is towards you , it is towards the principle

AS I understand it 1 place required that, not every place.

and adding that across the board DOES infringe on a bowhunters rights to legal use of that weapon . WOW kind of like the ASB from legal use, from those allowed to have and use them

Once again just shows, only things that effect an individuals own life come into play in what they support and think is acceptable

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

You sound like one of those guys that got thrown off a hunt or can't get one because you don't have a FID?

BTW' date=' they have gun hunts too...[/b']

Have no need to have an FID to bowhunt in NJ. Never have been on or applied for one of their hunts.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

Have no need to have an FID to bowhunt in NJ. Never have been on or applied for one of their hunts.

It's absolutely not a requirement of bow hunters in NJ or even of UBNJ members, it's only a requirement rule if you choose to participate in the organizations management programs.

Just out of curiosity, if that is the case why are you even concerned about one of the requirement for the organizations management program, especially if you have no affiliation to, experience with, nor desire to participate in the management hunts ?

Edited; Hammer please don't take the question as a personal attack... I'm just curious why many guys whom say they don't hunt in and don't have a desire to hunt in the program find it up setting that UBNJ has an FPID requirement in the management hunt application process.

}}}--I certainly do chase New Jersey's BIG Bucks, BIG Birds, and BIG Fish--->

Best Bow Buck to date; 2011 Gross; 142 6/8
Best Gobbler to date; 2012 NWTF score of 77.5
Best Northern Pike to date; 40" (Passaic River Pike )
Best Muskie to date; (The hunt begins)

First off asking for FID Card is silly as far as proof of some sort of background check, and what I mean is the fact you can be a good person who has a FID card, but in the mean time have some sort of problem, the courts hasn't taken your FID card from you cause your court date hasn't been heard. But I do understand te UBNJ's mission on this issue and for good reasons

I don't speak for UBNJ, but I understand the FID requirement. Many clubs and landowners these days require an FID before they will allow access to their property, or to become a club member.

It makes perfect sense actually, if someone with a questionable background were to gain access to a particular property under the auspices of UBNJ, or any other organization for that matter, and an incident were to occur, the organization may be held liable for not vetting their members or participants thoroughly.

This could be extremely damaging both from a PR standpoint and financially. It's just the easiest way for an org. To guard against this type of damage.

Edited; Hammer please don't take the question as a personal attack... I'm just curious why many guys whom say they don't hunt in and don't have a desire to hunt in the program find it up setting that UBNJ has an FPID requirement in the management hunt application process

Very good point:thumb_up: