• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Favorite Deer hunting Tactic

20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Maximus

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02/03/13 - 10:45 AM

What is your favorite means for harvesting deer? Treestand,ground blind,still/stalk hunting,driving? All our legal and effective means, I utilize all in differant situations and time periods. how about yourself?

#2 OFFLINE   njgunner

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02/03/13 - 10:49 AM

#3 Male OFFLINE   Axiom

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 02/03/13 - 10:50 AM

My ground Blind has been the most productive followed by a tree stand.. But my favorite way to hunt any game is by still/stalk hunting..

#4 Male OFFLINE   makosnax

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 02/03/13 - 11:15 AM

Treestand! Although my best buck was taken sitting on the ground due to lack of trees. Gonna try a natural blind in the fall because it is the only option for this particular spot. As far as technique, funnels. funnels.funnels. :thumb_up:

#5 OFFLINE   _X7

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 02/03/13 - 12:04 PM

I have to say hunting on the ground with natural cover is my favorite. Challenging on how you approach it and it gives you a different perspective. It also allows you to hunt many more spots where a manufactured blind or tree stand is limiting. There are tImes and places however where you need to be in a tree.

#6 Male OFFLINE   Gruntmaster

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 02/03/13 - 12:24 PM

Tree-stand 90%
Stalking 10% ,depending on weather, ground conditions.
Hunting the ground is very rewarding method, and you can learn more about deer than just sitting and waiting from a stand or blind.

NRA Life Member
"From My Cold Dead Hands"                          I'm all for Gun Control...I use both Hands.

#7 OFFLINE   jpiney43

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02/03/13 - 12:25 PM

#8 Male OFFLINE   Hatchet

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 02/03/13 - 12:27 PM

i know during bow you should stay in stand but i can't help wanting to get down n walk around .
You add camo to anything, it immediately becomes cool.

#9 Male ONLINE   BHC

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 02/03/13 - 12:54 PM

Treestand for me

#10 Male OFFLINE   RifledSlug

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02/03/13 - 01:04 PM

But my favorite way to hunt any game is by still/stalk hunting..

I've taken more deer off the ground with a gun but with a bow, I've had more success in a tree. I've used a ground blind but not a big fan of them, when I'm with the kids it just easier but I hate not having the scenery that a treestand offers.
The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness.

#11 Male OFFLINE   flat9999

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 02/03/13 - 01:22 PM

If I could, it would be spot/stalk or still hunting 100% of the time. You'd never see me in a trestand or ground blind.

#12 Male OFFLINE   Matty

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 02/03/13 - 01:46 PM

Treestand seems to be most effective. You can get away with a lot more when you're way up above them. There is a slight feeling of seperation from the animal because of it though.

Groundblind is awesome for winter, especially if you use a heater inside! Hunt like a KING! lol

Ground hunting without a blind can be some of THE most difficult hunting you can do. I've been busted by more big bucks like this than I care to count. It's tough at eye level, super close! But nothing brings that sense of oneness with the woods and animals than this type of hunting, imo.

Stalking is some of the most exciting hunting. It's pro-active, you're making moves, trying to get in range of an animal without spooking them. Crazy stuff. Some of my most heart-pounding hunts have been stalking.

I utilize all of them! They all have a place and can all be fun!

If you're too busy to hunt....You're too busy!

- Sent from my Alexander Graham Bell Hand Crank Model Mar101876 Phone

#13 Male OFFLINE   hammer08

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02/03/13 - 03:37 PM

Treestand most of the time, but I really like sitting on the ground, Something about making use of the best natural cover on a good travel route or food source is exciting. Of course I've never shot anything from the ground, but I imagine it would be exhilarating.
Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness

#14 Male OFFLINE   madcat2

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02/04/13 - 10:05 AM

I use my treestand for most of the bow season and switch to the groundblind once the time changes and i have less daylight to set up, especially on those last minute after work hunts. I have had better success in the treestand though. For gun season, its a combination of the treestand, ground blind and stalking.
"Nothin makes a dad happier than seeing his daughter with a smile on her face and her boyfriend with fear in his eyes" - Willie Robertson

#15 Male OFFLINE   deerslayer01

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02/04/13 - 10:07 AM

#16 Male OFFLINE   themadgreek

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02/04/13 - 01:20 PM

For me it's whatever gets the job done.
Mr. 300

#17 OFFLINE   hunterdan199

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 02/04/13 - 01:34 PM

12 inches of snow late season 50 pounds corn 50 pounds oats .dont get any better

#18 OFFLINE   SilverHawk94

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02/04/13 - 02:55 PM

Using a treestand appears to be the most effective way to harvest a deer without getting blown for drawing back or even for being winded. However, I simply love ground hunting with nothing but maybe a couple branches bent in certain directions to help conceal me.

There is nothing more exhilarating to me than getting your heart pounding by having to hide your eyes to prevent a deer from spooking, just to move in position and snap your bow back the second they get complacent and look away or pop their head behind a tree or some brush and then finally letting your arrow fly and hit the bread basket.

I haven't shot too many deer in my day, but I've actually shot more on the ground than out of a stand. In fact the buck in my avatar was actually shot via the ground, no ground blind, no scent, no bait. All I did was hunt a very good rubline and I got lucky. He came in on me so fast from behind me that I couldn't even get a good look at his rack due to hiding the whites of my eyes before shooting that I had NO IDEA the size of him until my brother walked up on him and found him the next morning with me.

Attached is a better pic of him... Hope it works!

Attached Images

• Andys buck 2.jpg

#19 OFFLINE   DuckSlayer424

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02/04/13 - 07:13 PM

Treestand over corn feeder
I wanna be a millionaire

#20 Male OFFLINE   robnj

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 02/04/13 - 07:25 PM

my favorite tactic to find deer is the trail cam. my favorite tactic to hunt deer is using the tree saddle and to never hunt the same tree. I also never cut shooting lanes unless I have no choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users