IGNORED

Scope Recommendations - Remington 700 XCR II, .30-06

Haskell_Hunter

I just picked up a Remington 700 XCR II in .30-06 caliber. I'm looking for scope and mount recommendations.

I bought the gun to hunt northern NH clear cuts that can go out 200 or more yards. The weather conditions up there are usually wet and a cold, and that's why I chose the XCR (extreme conditions rifle). So the scope needs to be decent out to 200 yards, but it should also be durable enough to work well in generally crappy conditions.

I'll probably shoot heavier bullets out of it but no more than 180-grain. I won't be shooting over 300 yards, so I can sacrifice some distance with weight. But that also comes with the cost of slightly more recoil. So that should be taken into consideration.

Recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

No more than than cost of the rifle. Less is better, of course.

Internerd research is leading me toward the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 right now. I'm not going to be shooting matches with it, so it'll only be coming out of the case a few times a year. Especially since cartridges for it are around $2/each.

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

Leupold - i like the vxii I also like 44 or 50 objective

Nikon monarch

I like the leupold prw... But a lot of people prefer dz one piece.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

I agree with the above, I would go minimum 40mm or better, you'll be thankful if you are shooting open clear cuts over distance in lowlight.

The Nikon Monarch and Leupold VX-3 lines are great glass for the money, and solid options.

I really love my Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40s, but they don't make them anymore...not sure what the latest model is that "replaced" that line.

If I could find a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 or 3-9x50, I wouldn't hesitate to throw it on a 30-06.

In fact, I have the 3-9x40 on my Remington 30-06, which shoots 165gr Federal Premium Sierra Gameking BTSPs beautifully! :up:

Went to my local outfitter/FFL to set up the transfer and also asked about scopes.  Caught me off guard when he recommended Hawke.  I hadn't seen anything on them, but he swears by them.  Same lifetime transferrable guarantee and priced to move.

Any thoughts, feedback or experience with Hawke optics?  I have their brochure and will be Intarnerding to get an idea of what the rest of the world thinks.

Thanks so far for all the recommendations!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

I know Hawke is popular in the crossbow world and probably in the air rifle/soft world...but I would personally feel way more comfortable with Nikon or Leupold over Hawke on top of my high powered centerfire.  JMHO though, I'm always in the camp of putting the money into the scope.  I'd rather have a great scope and an average gun than an average scope on a great gun.  One will still shoot well, the other will not.  Just my .02 though :)

Wow, all great questions and advice!

Low light, yes.  I don't have much experience with scopes, but I assume I'd probably shoot hold-over or click.  I have a scope on my 11-87 and never move that past 1.5x, and one on my muzzy that stays at 2x since most of my shots are

This is for deer, and it will be all shoulder-fire.  

I'm still thinking about that Hawke because the price is right.  You can get a very nice scope for a few hundred dollars, and if I decide I need something better for 200-300 yards I can always move the Hawke to my 11-87 or muzzy.  I have a Simmons on the 11-87, so that would most likely be the one that gets retired.

I had to grab a Hawke catalog on the way out from the outfitter, and the HK6410 and HK6411 look decent for the money.  Bigger glass than the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 I was looking at and for a few dollars less.

Decisions, decisions...

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

I have been using a vx-3 in 2.5-8 on a 30-06 since 1995 and I am happy with the combination. I also use a 180 nosler partition load by Federal. I switch from 165 to 180 earlier on without seeing much difference in trajectory.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

I'm a big fan of Leupold scopes.  For that gun, I like a 3 X 9 power.  I've never once had an issue with any of my Leupolds fogging, gathering light early and late, or leaking or other issues over decades of use in all weather conditions.  I leave my scope set at 4 power mostly while in the stand because I can turn it up easily if needed and 4 power allows me to get on a deer quickly at any range if I need to get on it quickly as sometimes happens when deer get pressured by other hunters.  

The 3x9 leupold is nice but the 2.5x8 has better light transmission due to optical coatings. Optical coatings is what drives the costs up in a scope. My friend has access to a large farm in upstate NY were we shoot a 10 inch metal hanging gong. The range is between 300 to 350 yards. We shoot in various postions and angles to the target. At these distances and angles I have seen little difference between a 300 win mag with a large magification scope and a 30-06 with a 2.5-8.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

Thank you very much for the long posts.  I have a lot of homework and thinking to do now, and that's exactly what I was looking for.

My new Remmy will be the highest power rifle in my collection, so there's a lot I need to learn.  I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback!

Now I'm considering the VX-3 3.5-10x50mm Illuminated Reticle, but that's at the top end of my price range....

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.