IGNORED

Anyone fill their tag on the last day of fall bow?

BowhunterNJ

No.  I have a spike that likes to mock me, eat my corn, and generally piss me off.  I have random 6 pointers show up on cams, but nothing consistent.  Talking to folks at Tackle and Field (formerly Frank's), they've indicated that I hunt in an area with a lot of pressure.  I knew that, but I'm okay going out and waiting my turn.  Sitting in the woods bring peace to my soul, filling a tag is a bonus.

Still plenty of time to bag one during permit bow and winter bow. I'll be out there.  Gotta' be in it to win it!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Had a decent 8 pt come in last night that I've passed on three times already so wasn't going to shoot him just not to eat a tag. Had quads riding the trail near me so was just happy to see a deer but I think they may have spooked the bigger bucks out of the area till the rut kicks in just going to have to wait and see if they return.

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!" - Chesty Puller

I passed up several smaller bucks the last few weeks.

I found a spot with numerous scrapes and the area stunk with the smell of musky buck in the air.

I placed my climber at the base of the tree I wanted and layer out a nice long drag line from 2 scrapes on either side of me. Around 4 2 does walked past me. Around 5 a solo dinker walks past at about 40 yards. Then about 15 minutes later another small buck comes from the same area and heads in the same direction as the first.

Around 545 I hear crunching behind me. I turn slowly and see the body first. I can tell immediately its a nice buck. A nicely shaped 8 with about 17-18" spread. He's going to cross a trail I layer directly me. He steps over the opening and into the laurel and picks his head up for the first time. He catches the scent and does a 180 and steps back out into to trail head down sniffing leaves. I draw around the tree I'm in. I release and in slow motion it seemed. The lumenock turned on as the deer squats to flew. The arrow flew true and would have hit where he originally was. It looked like something out of the matrix. In one spring he was 10' away and flying. Oh well.... Those are the breaks!

referral-0686239001424316551.png

PredaTorch.com         Hot Estrous Doe and Other Deer Scent, Night Predator Lights

Except for October 25th when I went out sick as a dog for a couple hours, I haven't been able to hunt since October 11th. I was out of the State, then mentoring for the NJOA EP Wounded Warrior Hunt (which I am absolutely blessed to be able to participate in), then I got really sick.

So unfortunately I missed a lot of the regular season.

I'm finally starting to feel better today though. Not 100%, but I can function again. So I'll go buy a zone permit and buck tag tomorrow and hopefully get out there as much as possible over the next few weeks.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear