IGNORED

If it weren't for bad luck!!!!!!!

BowTechExperience

I've been shooting my Xbow basically a few shots every night after work since I bought it. The bow is a tack driver at any yardage you can put the cross hair on with field points and broadheads..

Wednesday night my broadheads started hitting low and left about 2" at 40 yards.. Could not figure it out. Checked every screw and bolt on the bow, scope and rail.. Solid all the way around.. I thought it was me maybe because I've been sick all week since I hunted in the rain last Saturday so I did not move anything Wednesday night..

Got home from work last night and started shooting again. Field points punching out the "X" at 40 yards but broadheads still low and left.. I finally adjusted the scope to accommodate it and called it a night... Took off work today to run errands in the morning and to head out this afternoon  for a hunt..  Got my gear all packed up and getting ready to put my bow in the case when I felt the splinter on the lower right limb... WOW am I PO'ed... :grrr:  :grrr: :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  :grrr:  

Needless to say today and tomorrow are a wash...... Will have new limbs ready to go before next Saturday...

I haven't had a splintered limb on anything since I shot a High Country bow in 1994...

I new I should of bought a backup....

splintered limbcopy.jpg

Edited by BowTechExperience

BHC, a  2014 Excalibur Matrix 405..

Rusty,  they weigh completed 438 grains complete. Not shooting it often is not an option for me, I'm a shooting junkie. Good case for a backup.. ;)

Matt, how funny you remember that nickname... :rofl:

I have to say though, Excalibur's warranty process is as simple as it gets.

1. Create an account.

2. Open a claim and generate an RMA ticket and get the confirmation # and it gives you a return center to send it to... Luckily one is in PA... They will have it Monday via UPS... Repaired and back to me by Wednesday.. No questions asked or finger pointing....

Guess Ill start shopping for a backup and a new scope. Very eagerly looking at the Leupold VXR 3-9x40 with the Firedot and a nice set of quick disconnect rings..

Rusty,  they weigh completed 438 grains complete. Not shooting it often is not an option for me, I'm a shooting junkie. Good case for a backup.. ;)

I hear you.   :up:

Jack the weight up on your bolts and more of the energy will go into the bolts instead of the limbs. 

Wish I could help you out team mate.  Hopefully you can get back up and in the woods by next week-end.

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

Jack the weight up on your bolts and more of the energy will go into the bolts instead of the limbs

Yeah.. That sounds good... Splintered limbs are a sign of dry firing.. And the lighter the arrow the closer you come to dry fire conditions..

I use 125g Broad heads.. I should be using 150g but Cant find Montecs that size

:D

I use 22" Gold Tip Laser IVs with brass inserts and 150 g Slick Tricks.  They're heavy, with a good heavy front of center, so they fly great.

The Slick Tricks fly great, they hold up well, and they do a heck of a job on the deer.  4 different people used this crossbow last year.  We took a bunch of deer with this set up and I was very happy with the results.

That really sucks Ed. :down:

No compound bows anymore? Or they just aren't ready to hunt?

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Thanks Ms Grit I should be ready for next Sat. besides maybe it was for the best. I'm still nursing a sinus infection and it is raining again.. No more hunting in the rain for me..

Guys its not like my arrows are light. Excalibur rates their bows with a 350 grain arrow and I'm shooting 20" Black Eagle Executioner shafts with a 110 grain brass insert and a 100 grain head, 2" blazers and Lumenoks. My arrows are only 12 grains short of being 100 grains over what the manufacturer suggests as their minimum.. The foc on these are fantastic, group so tight that you cannot shoot at the same "X" at 40 yards or you will destroy the arrow and this is with field points and broadheads... I hear what you guys are saying about going even heavier but think the splinter was just maybe a bad limb job.. We'll see.

Matty, still have the BT Experience and it is shooting fantastic, but have no desire to use it now because of the Xbow. lol  Am just enjoying it so much more right now.. If I weren't sick this week and the weather was crisp and not raining this weekend, I would be out there with it for sure, especially if I had nice deer on cam consistently, but I want my first deer with the Xbow this season.

We shall see what next week brings

Matty, still have the BT Experience and it is shooting fantastic, but have no desire to use it now because of the Xbow. lol  Am just enjoying it so much more right now.. If I weren't sick this week and the weather was crisp and not raining this weekend, I would be out there with it for sure, especially if I had nice deer on cam consistently, but I want my first deer with the Xbow this season.

We shall see what next week brings

Well that sounds like crazy talk to me. lol...

But you're not on my team, so take your time getting everything back together. Maybe take a break from hunting even. I mean an incident like this makes you realize just how dangerous hunting tools can be. Something like this can really shake someone up. In fact, I'd definitely take off up until around mid February if I was you.

lol

Good luck when you get back out there. (next year)

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Well that sounds like crazy talk to me. lol...

But you're not on my team, so take your time getting everything back together. Maybe take a break from hunting even. I mean an incident like this makes you realize just how dangerous hunting tools can be. Something like this can really shake someone up. In fact, I'd definitely take off up until around mid February if I was you.

lol

Good luck when you get back out there. (next year)

LOl.. I could not sleep last night because of it.. Had dreams of hitting the "Buy Now" button on another setup..

In all seriousness, regardless if it is ready for next Saturday or not, I'll be in the stand... I'm down to two packs of venison in the freezer..