IGNORED

Tonight's Bowhunt

LittleM

Sucked.  I must have lost my mind to hunt on a near, if not, full moon in the wind and high temps.  But I had time, so I went.  Didn't see a deer but from this view........

photo1_zpscda41a75.jpg

I saw a ton of birds, including eastern (rufous-sided) towhees, golden-crowned kinglets, and a very large flock of white-throated sparrows (hhmmmm wonder what that means?????????????)

Then, from this view ................

photo3_zpse5e1a680.jpg

Two big bears walked out of the cedars (upper right), through the pasture and towards my stand, prolly to eat the swamp white oak acorns.  As it got darker, one sat down and was just lazing about, the other was grazing on the pasture grass.  I decided to climb down, making more noise than usual.  It didn't phase them.  They were now within 50 yards.  I left my stuff and walked back to my truck.  I drove back with the lights on and packed my stuff.  Both bears just watched me the whole time.  I wasn't scared, just mildly concerned that they didn't run off.  One was big and the other was a freakin jagger.  I might be interested in the bear hunt this coming season.........................

I haven't had a shot from this place three times out now.  Time to move, I guess.  That dirt road is dubbed the Victory Lane, as it almost always produces when you really want to shoot a deer. 

The words, "very large flock of white-throated sparrows" tells me to fire up the snowblower tomorrow to make sure she's purring like a kitten headed into this coming winter......

I'm like you in that I don't need to see deer every time out to enjoy what Mother Nature has to offer.  Ask TroutandBucks what I was doing in my stand on Saturday while he was getting busy with his crossbow.  I was having a very civil conversation with a state endangered barred owl while in my tree.  And then there was the crow that kept harassing a black vulture flying over my area.  The crows never bother the turkey vultures, but for some reason, they were treating the black vulture like just another hawk in their area.    

I must have lost my mind to hunt on a near, if not, full moon in the wind and high temps.  

I said the same thing to Matty last night as we were climbing into our tree.  Even the spike that we see multiple times on every hunt was a no show last night.  

Sucked.  I must have lost my mind to hunt on a near, if not, full moon in the wind and high temps.  But I had time, so I went. 

I have never ceased to be amazed at how many deer I have taken at the "wrong" time and how little I have taken at the "right" time.

What counts is that you are out there.  This close to the pre-rut, you never know...

Nice stories guys...

Like "Red Squirrel" said you have to be in the stand or in the woods to score.

I enjoy the connection we have with mother nature just as much as the hunt and kill.

Now carry on.........

NRA Life Member
"From My Cold Dead Hands"                          I'm all for Gun Control...I use both Hands.