IGNORED

TroutandBucks first deer

Bucksnbows

TroutandBucks shot his first ever deer on Saturday afternoon on my Sparta property,  Here's the story:

I was in my hang-on up on a finger ridge  about 175 - 200 yards from T&B's hang-on which overlooks one of my clearcuts.  P1000385.JPG

I was sitting quietly when I heard the unmistakable sound of a deer snort.  That was followed by another snort and some hoof stomping.  Although I thought they were close to me, I knew I wasn't moving and had the wind in my favor.  I froze just in case it was me they were seeing from a distance.  About then, I heard the THWACK of his crossbow and a thud as the bolt hit the deer followed quickly by deer scattering through the forest.  I grabbed my compound in case any made their way toward my stand, but they ran down the mountain into the hemlock swamp below.  I waited a few minutes and texted T&B and got the confirmation that he shot and hit one.  He sat for a bit before climbing down and I heard him yell at the first of several bears we'd be dealing with that afternoon as we did the recovery.   :)

He found good blood at first and I told him to track it by himself and just reach out if he needed any help.  After a bit, I got the call that the blood trail was getting lighter and lighter and could I lend a hand?  I met him at the edge of the clearcut and we tracked his deer down where he made a second shot to finish it off.  His first shot was a bit low but the BB wasn't going to survive it.  If we hadn't found his deer bedded behind a tree, it would have been bear food within minutes as we quickly learned.  I gutted it for him, showing him how it's done for future reference.  I showed him how to use his HSS safety harness and the deer drag it comes with to drag it up the side of the mountain as I gathered his crossbow and my gear and led the way.  We both lost 10 pounds on the hike up!      

As we were maybe 1/3 of the way up the ridge, we came across a well known sow and her two cubs that we see every time out.  Here she is with the kids from one of many trail cam pictures I have earlier this fall.  P1000356.JPG  

She was coming straight down the blood trail toward us.  I ran her off and she came back a second time, but after a shout, she left for good with the two cubs.  Another 1/3 of the way up, we encountered our 4th bear, a single adult.  He or she also walked off with a few loud words and we got T&B's deer to a logging road where I waited with it while he got his Blazer and drove it in.  Here's the check in call   P1000386.JPG

And the obligatory first deer photo with the successful hunter    P1000387.JPG

He wanted to hold out for a nice buck for his first deer, but I told him to take the first deer he could to get his first one and because I'll be doing a 4th clearcut later this winter and need to keep the herd down a bit so the stump sprouts don't get over browsed the next two years.  We have had excellent forest regeneration when we cull a bunch for two years of each clearcut.  Congrats to T&B on his first deer.  Now you can focus on the 8 pointer   :)     

Edited by Bucksnbows

Next up for TroutandBucks is a trip to north central PA to God's Country for some grouse and woodcock hunting over my Brittany later this month.  And morning and evening bow hunts on top of the small game hunting.  Can't wait to get back up to Potter.  I missed it (small game camp) last year for the first year since about 1979 because of my surgery.  Birds-n-Bucks camp!

Great job. You never forget the first. CONGRATS!!!!

Bears seem to be the theme this year. Maybe a bad winter coming again?

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Thanks to Brian for letting me hunt his sparta property and teaching everything he has taught me so far and i know there is more too learn.

Brian's a nice guy. But kick him in the head just once, and he never invites you to hunt with him again. lol

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear