IGNORED

Starter Hunting Bow Recommendations

Haskell_Hunter

My daughter has been shooting a Genesis for a couple of years now, and I think it only tops off at 20#.  She's taking her hunter safety in 10 days, and I was wondering if she could use that bow for the archery test, and I'm also interested in recommendations for starter hunting bows at 35#.  She'll be 14 in November and will get a Mossberg 500 for her birthday if she passes hunter safety.  Then we're taking it out on youth day to hopefully fill the freezer!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Diamond makes a nice bow that goes from 5# to 70# and draw length of 13" to 30".

$500 fully set up with goodies (rest, stabilizer, arrows, peep, release, etc)  http://www.huntersfriend.com/2014_Diamond_Infinite_Edge_Package/compound_bow_that_fits_everyone.htm

$525 for pink camo riser http://www.huntersfriend.com/2014_Diamond_Infinite_Edge_Package/pink-compound-bow-universal-fit.htm

Edited by MackofallTrades

- Mack

Like Rusty said, crossbows are great for kids if they may struggle with 35#. 

The bow will be checked by an instructor and it has to be at least very close to the 35# mark. (some variance for scale inaccuracies is allowed). Most instructors are going to know that the Genesis can't achieve 35# though.

Also, like Mack stated, Diamond makes the Infinite Edge (previously just "edge")....Great bow.

Actually a number of companies make bows very similar now.

I can't think of all the names from all the different companies, but these come to mind *I'm pretty sure there are more:

PSE Rally, Chaos and the new Fever

Hoyt Ruckus.

G5 Quest Radical....

Any of those highly adjustable bows can be a great choice because the bow can grow with her all the way through adulthood. The only reason to buy a new bow will because she'll "want" one, never because she "needs" one.

Edited by Matty

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear