• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

what kind of fletching do you shoot?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   DBuck

DBuck

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 09/20/14 - 05:15 PM

I shoot feathers. I took a bunch of arrows in to get refletched,some had blazer vanes,told the guy that I didn't like the blazer vanes,he said that's surprising,because a lot of hunters are using them now. So what do you shoot,feathers,vanes or blazer vanes?

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

#2 Male OFFLINE   nycredneck

nycredneck

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 09/20/14 - 05:50 PM

I have a mix of 5" Feathers, 1.5"Blazers, 2" Max Hunter and 4" DuraVanes. I try different types because I cut and fletch my own arrows. Seems I typically wind up with Blazers and Max Hunters on my hunting arrows.

Bowtech Commander... Elite Pure...
Bow only, deer hunter.

#3 Male OFFLINE   Matty

Matty

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 09/21/14 - 12:11 PM

D, what didn't you like about the blazers?

I shoot 2" blazers out of my compounds. Though for the past couple of years I've occasionally considered going back to feathers (shot feathers for years), mostly for increased FOC. I really like extreme FOC when you can obtain it. But I also love lighted nocks and blazer vanes. I like crests too, but they really do nothing but add weight to the back of the arrow. I've realized they don't do much for arrow visibility (except the reflective ones which I have used) They can be great....

And even though I was slow to switch over to them, lighted nocks have helped so much in knowing how to follow up a shot, especially if you don't have a pass through. My eyes aren't what they used to be, especially in fading light, so a lighted nock lets me know...Oh yeah, that deer was 12 ringed....or better wait a bit. Kknow what I mean?

The blazers are my current choice because they are pretty lightweight and aren't as easily beat up as feathers. Still considering going back to feathers though....Maybe after this season. 

• Agree x 1
  • List

If you're too busy to hunt....You're too busy!

- Sent from my Alexander Graham Bell Hand Crank Model Mar101876 Phone

#4 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 09/22/14 - 09:50 AM

2" Blasers

#5 Male OFFLINE   Palawman30

Palawman30

Owner of PredaTorch.com

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 09/22/14 - 09:53 AM

I like the idea of lighted knocks but I've also had deer duck lighted knocks. I switched back after having it happen twice within a week

referral-0686239001424316551.png

PredaTorch.com         Hot Estrous Doe and Other Deer Scent, Night Predator Lights

#6 Male OFFLINE   MackofallTrades

MackofallTrades

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 09/22/14 - 12:13 PM

I have helical, high profile 2" vanes on this years arrows and love them.  They really tightened up my broadhead groups compared to last years arrows.

Last year I used Blazers with an offset and liked them as well.

The bow shop that builds my arrows stopped using blazers recently.  They said they stopped sticking and would fall off the arrows way too easily.  They switched to a different brand that are a similar shape.  Seems to work just fine.  I dont know if that is a story or not, but I am noticing no difference other than a much tighter grouping when shooting broadheads (which is probably just the switch to helical versus offset).

- Mack

#7 Male OFFLINE   DBuck

DBuck

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 09/22/14 - 04:57 PM

D, what didn't you like about the blazers?

I shoot 2" blazers out of my compounds. Though for the past couple of years I've occasionally considered going back to feathers (shot feathers for years), mostly for increased FOC. I really like extreme FOC when you can obtain it. But I also love lighted nocks and blazer vanes. I like crests too, but they really do nothing but add weight to the back of the arrow. I've realized they don't do much for arrow visibility (except the reflective ones which I have used) They can be great....

And even though I was slow to switch over to them, lighted nocks have helped so much in knowing how to follow up a shot, especially if you don't have a pass through. My eyes aren't what they used to be, especially in fading light, so a lighted nock lets me know...Oh yeah, that deer was 12 ringed....or better wait a bit. Kknow what I mean?

The blazers are my current choice because they are pretty lightweight and aren't as easily beat up as feathers. Still considering going back to feathers though....Maybe after this season. 

I don't know bro,they just don't seem to fly right out of my bow

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

#8 Male OFFLINE   Just Hunt

Just Hunt

Owner of Ted's Taxidermy & Bow Shop

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 09/22/14 - 07:57 PM

2inch Rayzrs feathers..

#9 Male OFFLINE   Just Hunt

Just Hunt

Owner of Ted's Taxidermy & Bow Shop

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 09/22/14 - 08:02 PM

This is interesting...

http://www.truefligh...s.com/facts.htm

#10 Male OFFLINE   CJ3a

CJ3a

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 09/22/14 - 08:57 PM

Feathers. It is the first bit of advice give to me when I started shooting a bow.
I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

#11 Male OFFLINE   BowTechExperience

BowTechExperience

10 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 09/23/14 - 09:48 AM

I've been using 2' Blazers for a long time now.. for me they fly and group fantastic out of higher speed fps bows... I like them for their durability...

#12 Male OFFLINE   nycredneck

nycredneck

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 09/24/14 - 04:35 AM

I like feathers, shot them for years before plastic and blazers were even around, but for hunting feathers make more noise. Still have some in my hunting quiver but there they sit waiting their turn.

Bowtech Commander... Elite Pure...
Bow only, deer hunter.

#13 Male OFFLINE   Wilstruck

Wilstruck

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09/24/14 - 08:21 PM

2" blazers and FOB's

#14 OFFLINE   Dubs

Dubs

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09/26/14 - 10:11 AM

2" blazers

#15 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 09/26/14 - 10:27 AM

I like the idea of lighted knocks but I've also had deer duck lighted knocks. I switched back after having it happen twice within a week

I don't think that the lighted knocks had anything to do with the deer "ducking" the arrow.  Deer respond to the sound of a bow by dropping in order to run away.  The dropping is to bend the legs to run, it has nothing to do with ducking things that are coming their way.   

#16 Male OFFLINE   redsquirrel

redsquirrel

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 09/27/14 - 06:56 AM

I shoot 2 inch blazers.

I like crests too, but they really do nothing but add weight to the back of the arrow. I've realized they don't do much for arrow visibility (except the reflective ones which I have used) They can be great....

Matty, I have been shooting fluorescent pink arrow wraps with pink blazers for about 6 years now and it made a huge difference in my ability to track the arrow in flight and judge my shot.  Also there is nothing pink in the woods so it makes finding the arrow a little easier.  I started using lighted nocks this year and they are awesome but I will probably keep my arrow wraps as well.  I just have to put up with the crap I get for shooting pink arrows, but the payoff is worth it for me  ;)

• Agree x 1
  • List

#17 Male OFFLINE   Matty

Matty

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 09/27/14 - 07:17 AM

Red, 

I shot pink feathers and then pink blazers with pink wraps for a long time because of the reasons you gave. There definitely isn't anything else that's hot pink in the woods. lol

But I am stupidstitious (superstitious to the point it's stupid)....and I lost a few of my biggest bucks with pink fletchings. At that point I decided to go back to yellow and white or orange and white (currently orange and white).....Thankfully I've never lost a deer with those colors. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go knock on wood. lol

I've considered going back to pink if I switch back to feathers because I still have about 3 million pink feathers in LW, but if my first deer with pink feathers goes over 100 yards to recover, I'm burning every last pink fletching I own. lol

If you're too busy to hunt....You're too busy!

- Sent from my Alexander Graham Bell Hand Crank Model Mar101876 Phone

#18 Male OFFLINE   redsquirrel

redsquirrel

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 09/27/14 - 08:19 AM

"stupidstitious " that gave me a good laugh!  If what you are using is working for you, keep with it!  I have some "stupidstitious" things of my own so I can understand.  A lot of bowhunting comes down to having confidence in your equipment, so that mental aspect actually matters a lot.

• Agree x 1
  • List

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users