IGNORED

How many are UBNJ members?

Great response John! I think that's all anybody could ask for, an open dialogue that can address any misconceptions or "perceived" issues. If more of this type of responsiveness is forthcoming from UBNJ, as opposed to some of the past defensive posturing, I think it would go a long way in helping the organization grow.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every year I write a letter asking for changes to the regs for bowhunting. Just to give everyone a little of what we asked for this year and got none was.

1) To end bowseason statewide by Jan 31st. We feel a big reason the apr zones are not getting the return they think they should is because the bucks are protected for 4 months then are killed as sheds in Feb.

2) Reduce the total number of bucks tags to 3, make them good for all seasons but no more than one can be used in any given season.

3) Make WMA's there own regulation set. WMA's in unlimited areas with seasons into Feb. are being decimated. They are not the cause of the deer problem therefore they should be treated differently than private land with no hunter access that are the problem.

4) Let the council know we are against taking away the chance to shoot a buck in the zone that are open early in Sept. if they feel there will be too much time wasted by CO's checking doe call ins. Do away with eab all together, if a person uses their ONE fall bow buck tag on Sept 10th or Oct 10th what is the defference? Plus a bowhunter who shoots a buck early will continue to bowhunt and shoot antlerless deer until permit season opens in Nov.

These are a few of the things we were trying to get off teh top of my head. As I said none were enacted but it doesnt mean we wont keep trying. If there is anything you would like to see put into the code. Write me and I'll incorporate it into my letter next year as long as it is constructive and feasible. Most of what we ask for is because members ask us for it, we dont just dream this stuff up.

Thanks the Northern Region members meeting is coming up this month and a Central region members meeting is being planned for April. Please come out and meet us and ask questions.

Great ideas, good luck getting those issues addressed. The only thing I would not totally agree with is "Plus a bowhunter who shoots a buck early will continue to bowhunt and shoot antlerless deer until permit season opens in Nov."

Just like the many guys who said they would not hunt early season if they couldn't kill a buck, the same thing happens "after" many guys kill their buck. Once the "buck incentive" is removed the hunting slows down dramatically until the permit season comes in and another buck tag is available. I don't know if that is something the Division takes into consideration or not, but that may be a downside of allowing a buck tag to be used early without a doe being required first.

We weighed it out and just felt more guys who love to bowhunt would continue to hunt even after the buck tag was filled since the weather gets better the deeper into Sept we get. The incentive for guys to hunt in 90 degree weather with all the chiggers and mosquitos is for the chance to kill a buck. It is a catch 22 but we do feel alot of hunters will not hunt in ealry Sept. without the buck incentive. Gotta give it a try. Thanks for all the input.

We weighed it out and just felt more guys who love to bowhunt would continue to hunt even after the buck tag was filled since the weather gets better the deeper into Sept we get. The incentive for guys to hunt in 90 degree weather with all the chiggers and mosquitos is for the chance to kill a buck. It is a catch 22 but we do feel alot of hunters will not hunt in ealry Sept. without the buck incentive. Gotta give it a try. Thanks for all the input.

Not a chance of dealing with the heat and bugs if i cant shoot a buck.

Been a member for a little over two years now and the one thing that I do like is that they have properties that can be used by members. When you don't have private land to hunt, every little bit helps. One thing that I would like to see is more of a southern new jersey representation. Yes, there is south jersey chapters, but it seems like most if not all activities, what-have-you, are geared more towards central and northern jersey. Overall, I like what UBNJ is doing to enhance the sport and the bowhunters' experience in the field.

Ive been a member for a long time. One thing that bothers me is that i dont receive all o the ubnj magazines. Ive tried emailing my reps but got no where. I do think its a good organization and i will continue my membership.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

gun-1_zpsa5b2d7e3.png

I along with my dad used to be members but we let our Memberships lapse as well as numerous guys that I work with it seems EVERY body all got the same answers when they tried to sign up for UBNJ hunts " that all hunts were filled up" . maybe things have changed cause its been at least 5 years since I was a member . I cant see how any hunter just telling the truth on how they feel is bashing them on a public forum. I do think the UBNJ does have the bow hunting community concerns in order , like I said never say never I might join again.